Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > my little daily driver, stripped out, to be a T2 turbo'd 998 60's/70's weekend-racer style!

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Member #: 54
Post Whore

nr coventry

OH WELL! Accidents happen!!! haha! just a scratch!!!

broke a wheelstud yesterday too! what is it with wheelstuds!

Edited by clubminiflip on 11th Jun, 2007.

SKYLINES ARE LIKE CLITS, EVERY FLANGE SEEMS TO HAVE ONE: see this sticker on my silvia

the Search-section on this forum is blummin superb & simple to use, unlike some other forums, without the search-section & the help of this bunch of chaps on here i'll never be able to !!!Start the day with a 998cc turbo!!! :) i'm getting closer though!

Tom Fenton says: I have it all, make me an offer

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Fixed. Click on "Edit Post" and you will be able to see what I typed to make that appear.....

You got the web address wrong as well, when you get the picture up you want to post, Right click on it and then click Properties. That will show the web address you need to copy and paste.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

tom you are a star! i'm sure its been said before!!!! *tongue* i'm creepin now i know hehe!

i'll be postin my progress of jobs on my lil-dude, hopefully help others with lil probs on their minis to!

Edited by clubminiflip on 21st Jul, 2006.

SKYLINES ARE LIKE CLITS, EVERY FLANGE SEEMS TO HAVE ONE: see this sticker on my silvia

the Search-section on this forum is blummin superb & simple to use, unlike some other forums, without the search-section & the help of this bunch of chaps on here i'll never be able to !!!Start the day with a 998cc turbo!!! :) i'm getting closer though!

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

thats pretty cool, i like its archlessness

get some black no plates for it though

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

i think the cage and 295 head are my 1st port of call, black No' plates are a maybe, i had them on a previous car, i think some lowering to level the suspension arms/driveshafts at the front is in order and the back lowered to match, its a bit dented and paint-chipped but is rust free, i thinks chrome lip-trim is needed too! i like the minimalist look really, but a turbo on the 998 would be ideal as a fast road car i think!!!! i'll add pics of my jobs i do & things i change on the car etc etc my rolling project that all jobs have to be sorted on to keep it on the road for the week hehe *tongue*

i'm glad you like the look i'm aiming for guys!!! cheers

Edited by clubminiflip on 14th Jul, 2006.

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

Added some pics, i've stripped my interiour but left the doorcards & speedo! excuse the seats *oh well* they are blummin awfull, they dont even recline

christ its loud with no sound proofing!!! why did'nt someone say haha *tongue*!!!

Fitted these 'ex-JF' spax shocks (how long since i got these from you john hehe!) and they're fine!!!

Fitted my rear hi-low's, fronts are going on at the weekend (standard height at the moment) *frown*

As you can tell, i really like waxoil, used 2.5 litres, got 5 litres to add!!! & i will 'trust me' *laughing* we dont like rust much *tongue*

cheers for the rollcage 'wetshed' *happy* its going to be prepped & painted this weekend & maybe fitted (will add pics of painting & fitting)

got solid mounts for the 'front subframe rear mounts' (to the toeboard) and solid tower & teardrop bushes, pics of the proccess i go through with these i'll add to!

i have camber brackets for the rear subby & heavy duty adjustible tiebars with poly bushes for the front, still need 1.5 degree negative-camber bottom arms, it's gettin there tho, any suggestions PM me, cheers *wink*

Edited by clubminiflip on 21st Jul, 2006.

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

been to ask my local MOT man about removing my rear valance & he's gave the ok on the removal of the centre part, he's said leave the rear valance closing panals at either end to act as mud guards (sort-of) but the flappy central part i can cut off & bin-it! *happy*

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

well things on the car have been going ok really! gearbox 'wines'
but no more than me! *tongue* no crunchy changes tho! synchro's r good,

basically want to get my front solidmount kit, negative camber bottom arms 'n' poly bushes, front hi-los, body mods, polycarbonate rear screen 'n' side windows fitted, rollcage fitted and a rolling road tuneup sorted b4 mini in the park, jobs done this week:

heater valve new one fitted

6 point cage solid rear diagnal, prepping and paint to match my wheels (cheers wetshed)

cutting the rear sear squab off & starting to remove the sound deadening from the floor, i will remove the rear pockets too, but have no harness's yet!
i'll repaint the inside of the car after, then the cage will go in *happy*

made a cheapo ducting pipe fit my 'keith calver' drilled airbox haha!

removed all un-needed plastic pipes from the engine bay & under the front wings & gave the undersides of the wings a 2nd coat of clear waxoil!!! 'yep even more'!!!

gone for the grill'less look to help cooling in this weather, i think it looks pretty good???

some pics to follow, any input/idea's greatly accepeted guys!!!:cool:

Edited by clubminiflip on 29th Jul, 2006.

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

some pics of work done:

Edited by clubminiflip on 29th Jul, 2006.

miniminor63

1849 Posts
Member #: 672
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

possible reason for gearbox whine?:)

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

Another good weekend on the car!!! completed solid mounting the front subframe (see pictures) 1.5 degree negative camber bottom arms with hard poly bushes,

i was going to fit my heavy duty adjustible tie-bars but i buggered-up the thread where it mounts to the subframe (muppet) it should rethread ok though (i hope)

as a get-me-by i've polybushed the standard tie-bars, poly bushed the gearbox steady bar also,

i wanted to do the engine steadybar bushes to but the buggers wont undo? HELP!!!

well i can only say 'what a massive differance' the solid mounting of the front frame makes 'superb!!! & the -camber bottom arms 'well chuffed' just need feebles motor in my car now *tongue*

Edited by clubminiflip on 31st Jul, 2006.

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

some pics from my jobs done over ther weekend *happy*

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

Make sure you get your tracking reset, fitting neg camber lower arms will give you loads of toe out, so the tracking needs doing. Otherwise you'll scrub your tyres to nothing within a few hundred miles.

Guess how I know this?

Like fuel 😂😂

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

cheers tom (i sort of knew this *oh well* but was'nt 100% if i had to get it checked) trouble is where i live getting the tracking done on 10" wheel minis is a big prob, no-one does it!!! i need to fit my front hi-lows (this week defo) & drop the front a little so will try to sort the handling at the weekend coming up, trying to get all my jobs done before mini-in-the-park (fingers crossed) *tongue*

lets hope i can join you guys nxt year for some good 1/4mile times @the mini-showdown!!! if i get a turbo motor built & in before winter i'll do some track days too b4 nxt year!!!

must add this is my daily driver!!!

i need a turbo motor & proper torque/power & a hand to fit it now tho! haha!

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

Many many thanks mini1071s, i plan to have this mini a good while, not one to sell at all, i could have adjustible everything on the suspesion but its an everyday road car so trying to be (sort of) sensible-ish hehe! just trying to make it so i dont have to do unecessery fiddling! just keep it reliable, handling well & fast for the road!

cheers to all that give me advice of course *happy*
its gr8 to get some good words said about my car & what i'm doing with it,

anyone i know thinks i've lost-the-plot *laughing* (more than likely)

i'm not into bodykits,lots of chrome & interiours like a blummin rolls-royce, fair play if you are!!! but i'm one of these chaps that will sacrifice comfort for performance 'sorry'

i like a mini to be a mini, they were basic when they started out and i feel if you improve the handling & brakes to match other performance cars around & put a sensible fast road motor it that can give some unsuspecting others a run for there money & can drive well in the bends as well as the str8s & enjoy how good a mini is, thats what its about! fun!

my lack of mirrors & extras comes from going to the drag strips near me, santa-pod & shakespere-county-raceway, i like the hotrod scene and nostalgia rods, proper bare-bones stuff,

i do like mallory circuit too!

i'm not arsed what my neigbors & m8s think of my bare interiour, lack of carpet, full-roll-cage, no grille no provision for more than one passenger, bumpy ride with a nutter driver (within reason) loud exhaust & greasy marks on my face & hands *laughing*

i know after having some faster better handling cars after my 1st 2 minis i.e: mazda mx5, 1.8-kseries metro of 145bhp @the wheels/142lbs torque standing quater in 15.23secs, toyota glanza (starlet) turbo 163bhp, diahatsu hi-jet 1.3 diesel *laughing* that my mini bug is still there & that the car can handle more power & torque that it was designed for, i feel a mini is'nt a mini unless it's A or A+ series based, but thats me!

i just want to know how to build my own engines and develop them so i can fix everything on my car, i can do my bodywork & suspension etc etc but never done an engine!

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

mini1071s i've found two ppl from my city that can help guide me through the 998 turbo engine build + the vizard book & haynes mini manua,l i just need to get a cheap or free A+ engine & box from a running car to redo to my spec, alot can be learnt from drag racing & sprints to make a very good fast road car me-thinks!

really chuffed!!!! been in my garage sortin stuff & found a full set of braided brake hoses brand new in the box haha! i just need feebleuks mirage setup & then the fun can begin :oP

Also i've put a post up in the injection section, you may be able to help!!! *tongue*

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

Well done some more work on my lil-mini today,

mini1071s!!! i've added my idea of 'bling'to my engine bay, mmmmmm brass!!! :op

i finished the removal of the rear seat squab & made the edges nice and neat & primed it with red-oxide-primer,

i've part removed the rear pockets (see picture below) because i have 'no' harness's & brown mini city torn seats :o) so they are the temporary setup for the moment!

this is a little dodgy i know!!! but it will get sorted fairly quick, i may weld the seatbelt mounting from the rear pocket to the floor & use the retactable belts untill i get harness's, we'll see tomorrow :o)

i've took all the sound deadening off the rear floor too! this will be cleaned up & red-oxide-primed (how do you get all the black rubbish thats left on the floor from the sound deadening?)

2morrow the centre section of the rear valance is coming off! & the front valance between the mounts below the bumper, it's mini weight-loss!

todays pics of work done:

Edited by clubminiflip on 2nd Aug, 2006.

jamesfawcett

3341 Posts
Member #: 218
Post Whore

Bingley, West Yorkshire

looking really good!! looks like a really good shell

whos is that idler gear (think thats waht it is?) with all the wear? You need a new one ive got spares here

Previous Engine: 1040cc Morespeed engine, 1275 turbo head T2 Turbo Mirage Manifolds Megajolt
Previous engine: STD metro turbo, megajolt
Drives: 399bananahp (flywheel) Honda Civic Vtec b18c4 T28 Turbo 1968 Mini

Megajolt maps to download: http://www.jamesfawcett.co.uk/cms/index.ph...&gid=3&Itemid=3

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts

&

TM legend.

10 out of 10 for enthusiasm, but please do not drive this car until you have properly sorted the seatbelts.

As it is currently there is now bugger all strength in the seatbelt reel mounting area, in the event of an accident this metalwork would bend and twist and not hold you in place in the seat.

This needs sorting as a priority, please do not underestimate how dangerous this could be.

Like fuel 😂😂

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

Tom F it is my 1st priorty tomorow (weds) my solution will be documented in this thread :o) dont want to loose a miniturbo.co.uk member!!! oh & the car!

it not my idler gear/bearing its a guy from norway i think?

yeah my shell is good 'i'm really chuffed as i did'nt pay alot for it (ex-granny) & i want to make the car oldschool look! with a rev-happy 998 turbo lump :oP

trying to make it as light as i can but no carbon fibre!!! just grp (oldschool)

its my daily driver so all my jobs have to be done on the weekend & the car running as it should (tough) but its getting there,

i'm hoping to have the shell,brakes,suspesion done for the run to MITP,

then the smallbore turbo engine build will begin!!! arrrrrh! its my 1st engine build too! hopefully have it running a turbo'd 'mill' b4 the winter my fingers are crossed!

Edited by clubminiflip on 2nd Aug, 2006.

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

just a short update, got a 998 A+ complete with gearbox & ancilleries today that came from a running car (pics below) not sure on the gearbox untill i strip it but i have a motor to strip & rebuild into a turbo 998+, i'll add pics as & when, i'll be asking mundane & bugging questions once i start on the engine as its my 1st engine i've ever stripped & rebuilt so i'm quite nervous about it really!!! i'm really enthused about it WISH ME LUCK GUYS :o)

Edited by clubminiflip on 4th Aug, 2006.

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

Another little update in project death-rattles!!! (my cars name 'sad i know')

i've been attacking the reminants of the sound proofing with 'white spirit' & it seems to be bringing it off nicely, & leaving it a good finish, its hard work though :o(

next job on my list was to remove the flappy centre section of the rear valance, tidy the edges & prime it, which i think fits my MOD style,oldschool,retro,minimal, racer theme for the car (pics below) the front valance between the mounts on the front panal below the bumper are nxt to go

Also i have in my posession a mirage manifold kit with other bits & bobs ('ex-feebleuk' cheers m8y) so i now have 95% of the bits needed to make a 998 turbo motor, so i can start saving again haha! :op Any input always appreciated!!! cheers all!

Edited by clubminiflip on 8th Aug, 2006.

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

How do, been a little slow on the mini at the moment, just spent time collecting parts trbo related parts that are needed,
i think i have what i need apart from fuel lines, would like to get the plastic ones with stainless fittings but dont know where to get them?
i got a decent & standard (i hope) 12g295 head for the 998 turbo project, cleaned it up some pics below:

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

i have'nt updated for a little while so heres whats happening guys, well i've took my 998 A+ to piece's with the help of my haynes manual & the bill sollis how to build a 1380 DVD, i must say as a novice to engine stripping/rebuilding this is a great thing to have, obviously i'm not building a 1380 but all the principles are there in the DVD for an engine recon/rebuild & makes it very simple (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

i've been reading through the TMF in the quest for possible 998 turbo builds & still have'nt reached my final spec but i think within 2 months i'll have the machining done & block built so i'll update at each stage of the engine assembly

body-wise i've completely removed the rear pockets & fitted some 4-point harness's, nothing fancy just a cheap road MOT-man friendly set
had a change of plan for my roll cage, i'd previously sanded,primed & painted it old english white but really was'nt happy with the finish due to some deep scratch's, my prep was'nt to good so i had the cage shotblasted for £40 & i've primed it all in red-oxide primer, this is how its staying as i really like the colour (some pics of what i've been up to below) advice & comments always welcome

i'm on the lookout for some nice old bucket seats that will go with/accomidate my 4-point harness's, dont mind if they need recovering if they are cheapish, i'm after a 60's ish roadracer/retro look! cheers all

Edited by clubminiflip on 17th Sep, 2006.

clubminiflip

1840 Posts
Post Whore

nr coventry

Some shots of my mini, one on the clubstand of my local miniclub, this was at MITP

Edited by clubminiflip on 19th Sep, 2006.

Home > Show Us Yours! > my little daily driver, stripped out, to be a T2 turbo'd 998 60's/70's weekend-racer style!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: