Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > How To > Fitting a bleed valve

iain
Site Admin

8506 Posts
Member #: 16
Sold the turbo and seeing what the C20XE can do!

Near Lincoln

Right, here we go, im sure if im wrong somebody will correct me.

Most people do not connect the ecu back up when installing the engine in a mini. If this is done and the boost solenoid left in place then the car will only boost to 4psi. What the ecu did was open and close the solenoid after i *think* approx 4500 to modulate the boost upto 7psi. It did this by bleeding some air off the acuator to trick it into thinking there was less boost than there actually was.

If the ecu is dropped then to get the boost back upto 7psi constant then one way is to use a bleed valve. This does the same job as the ecu and solenoid combined EXCEPT this gives a constant boost of 7psi through the useable rev range. The reason that the standard setup used two stages is due to the massive torque build up in lower revs so they limited to boost low down to protect the gearboxes.
Everything must be in good order to use a bleed valve.

Step 1

Remove the ecu and either block the pipe or remove the t-piece that goes between the regulator and plenum and replace with a single bit of hose or a joiner.

Step 2

Remove the boost solenoid found attached to the same bracket as the regulator

Step 3

Fit the bleed valve to the hose that came off the boost solenoid

Step 4

With a boost gauge connected slowly screw out the bleed valve till 7psi is reached.
This will require several test runs to get it set correctly as full boost is only achieved for a long time properly in higher gears at full revs.

Step 5

Enjoy but dont be tempted to tweak the boost unless your cars built for it! I will not be held responsible for people making they're cars go bang! As mentioned everything must be in good order to do this mod.

If your mini has bits connected then take a look at the pic.
the pipe goes from the actuator to a "T" piece on the turbo the its the pipe from here that you connect you bleed valve too.

HTH

Iain :cool:

iain
Site Admin

8506 Posts
Member #: 16
Sold the turbo and seeing what the C20XE can do!

Near Lincoln

Right, here we go, im sure if im wrong somebody will correct me.

Most people do not connect the ecu back up when installing the engine in a mini. If this is done and the boost solenoid left in place then the car will only boost to 4psi. What the ecu did was open and close the solenoid after i *think* approx 4500 to modulate the boost upto 7psi. It did this by bleeding some air off the acuator to trick it into thinking there was less boost than there actually was.

If the ecu is dropped then to get the boost back upto 7psi constant then one way is to use a bleed valve. This does the same job as the ecu and solenoid combined EXCEPT this gives a constant boost of 7psi through the useable rev range. The reason that the standard setup used two stages is due to the massive torque build up in lower revs so they limited to boost low down to protect the gearboxes.
Everything must be in good order to use a bleed valve.

Step 1

Remove the ecu and either block the pipe or remove the t-piece that goes between the regulator and plenum and replace with a single bit of hose or a joiner.

Step 2

Remove the boost solenoid found attached to the same bracket as the regulator

Step 3

Fit the bleed valve to the hose that came off the boost solenoid

Step 4

With a boost gauge connected slowly screw out the bleed valve till 7psi is reached.
This will require several test runs to get it set correctly as full boost is only achieved for a long time properly in higher gears at full revs.

Step 5

Enjoy but dont be tempted to tweak the boost unless your cars built for it! I will not be held responsible for people making they're cars go bang! As mentioned everything must be in good order to do this mod.

If your mini has bits connected then take a look at the pic.
the pipe goes from the actuator to a "T" piece on the turbo the its the pipe from here that you connect you bleed valve too.

HTH

Iain :cool:

1310turbo

323 Posts
Member #: 41

i want to run my turbo while its being run in on standard boost with no bleed valve or boost siwtch, (the soleniod that lowers the boost in lower revs) so to do this do i just need to block up the brass t peice that is screwed into the housing that comes from the actuator or do i need to connect the end of the t peice to somewhere else?!

thanks

A-series power! 1972|1310|T3 turbo|Omega pistons|Cantre main strap|Orange clutch diaphragm|AP race plate|Comp pressure plate|Lightened steel flywheel|13-row oil cooler|Vernier duplex timing gear|Phase 2 Piper cam|Green air filter|Hi boost carb needle/spring|2"Stainless exhaust|3"Play mini stainless rear box|Jack Knight s/c 4spd gearbox|Jack Knight s/c drop gears|Silicon coolant hoses|Lumenition HT leads|GAZ lowered height shocks all round|Steel flip-front|Rear safety devices cage|Group 5 arches|6x12 deep dish Minilites|Surf blue/Old english white|

Gibbo

244 Posts
Member #: 34

Bleed valves are adjustable to the point that they block the pipe and don't bleed air, so you have no worrys during running in, just set the valve fully closed.

petterb

52 Posts
Member #: 75
Advanced Member

What kind of bleed valve should I use? Is these any good? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...MEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://www.ktv.no/~pjb-ktv/

n.g.l.

370 Posts
Member #: 181

Chard, Somerset

the item on ebay is not a bleed valve, it is a pressure relief valve which is better. it allows the boost to reach a preset level, say 10p.s.i, then it will operate the watsegate actuator. A bleed valve meters off air from the actuator but the wastegate can still open slightly which means you will be losing boost in midrange.

fab

1497 Posts
Member #: 100
Parisien Turbo Expert

Paris\' suburb

the "grainger" valves are the best boost controller you can find,
there is one sort which are derivating a industrial air pressure controler to control the waste gate , look for them, they are an inline and not T srot, and they are in copper with red seals, you'll easily recognise them
cheers
fab

fab

1497 Posts
Member #: 100
Parisien Turbo Expert

Paris\' suburb

easy easy boost controller:

http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/perform/[/url]

and look for Gus mahon turbo , dodge chrysler mopars turbo on google
if you are a turbo lover /nutter look around internet with dodges minivans / turbos sites, they are usefulls.
I had a miniturbo van ( dodge/chrysler voyager) ogie changed with turbo diesel one but learned a lot from this community

pot_dan

928 Posts
Member #: 326
Post Whore

bradford, west yorks

so to clear up, a manual boot control valve (MBC) goes INLINE. but the bleed valve uses a T peice in the same line?

thanks, Dan

http://turbominis.co.uk/car/105/

akirch

337 Posts
Member #: 399

Austria

Not to the question of pot_dan, but adequate to this topic...

I did not fitted a bleed valve to raise the boost without ECU. I fitted 2 springs like one of them shown at these pictures:

http://www.8ung.at/pmf/updates2004/0622_la...feder_oben1.jpg
http://www.8ung.at/pmf/updates2004/0622_la...feder_unten.jpg

Cant tell you, if this is a good idea, but it works. Drawback: the boost can not be changed and has to be adjusted with correct springs...

Edited by akirch on 19th Jan, 2005.

http://www.minifreunde.at

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Clever little idea ! *happy*

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Stig

397 Posts
Member #: 694

Shropshire

Can anyone resurrect this guide or update the pictures?

Home > How To > Fitting a bleed valve
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: