Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Rover Mini SPi and MPi Stepper Motors

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I need to re update this at some point, after I recovered from throwing my toys out of the pram*tongue*

Edited by Sprocket on 16th Dec, 2007.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Jackman

695 Posts
Member #: 984
Post Whore

Westhoughton, Bolton

OOO thats not good news, i hope you sort it mate.

Manchester Minis

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Edited by Sprocket on 13th May, 2007.

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

Jackman

695 Posts
Member #: 984
Post Whore

Westhoughton, Bolton

Im not worried... honest.... im trying to find a cheap spi unit to take apart ha ha to get a general understandings of how it works.

Manchester Minis

supercharged cooper

11 Posts
Member #: 1219

I threw my stepper in the bin and just made a v small bypass hose. Idles at 1200 but then any slower and it would be a bit lumpy!

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

never did look into the stepper as i jstu opened it right up and ran a bosch 2 wire IACV. however there was a circuit posted that may be able to controll that type of stepper that translated the PWM signal to a stepper putput.(was designed so that us msns-e'ers could use a stepper) be worth a search on the megasquirt forums

Edited by evolotion on 29th Aug, 2006.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

seen this thread and thought of you :)

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=18971...control&start=0

the driver IC http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/1377.pdf is a bipolar driver, but if a unipolar equivalent is avaliable this shoudl sort your problem *wink*

edit again, soem info on driving unipolar motors with bipolar drivers..

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/an/1675.pdf

Edited by evolotion on 3rd Sep, 2006.

Denis O'Brien.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

no probs. iv got my head burrie din other work right now, but i'd also liek my rover unipolar stepper to be controlled by my megasquirt, as the bosch IACV im useing makes a noise like a foghorn when its active :(

Denis O'Brien.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Andymini

208 Posts
Member #: 438

London

May be worth having a nose around on CNCzone.com

It's a site for those interested in building their own CNC mills, routers etc. and there are a lot of knowledgeable people on there regarding driving stepper motors.

Andy

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th of Sep, 2006 at 11:14pm Mini Sprocket said:

Its mearly a matter of disconnecting the windings from the center tap and each other, to be able to use these motors with MSII. The only thing I have not checked as of yet i the winding resistances and whether they are within the limits of the MSII stepper driver.

Did you ever get this to work?

Would it be possible, if the resistance is too high, to split the two centre feeds and just use half the coils.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I've just measured the resistance between the common centre tapping and the other four windings and it is consistantly 9-10 ohms.

Winding to winding is about 19 ohms as you would expect.

Megasquirt info suggests resistance of 35-50 ohms.

So, do we need to add in additional resistance to lower the voltage at the windings?

I can't see why we can't use the SPi/MPi IACV but will it need modification?

Do we need to split the centre tappings, otherwise we will be energising both windings. Or will the fact that the other coils are open circuit mean this doesnt matter?

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

So, do we need to add in additional resistance to lower the voltage at the windings?

-- you may do, you may not, see the datasheets for the megasquirt driver IC. if you cannot drive them directly and the added resistance drops the torque output to much its not too much hast le to knock up a few TIP122's and ods and ends to drive the coils properly.

I can't see why we can't use the SPi/MPi IACV but will it need modification?

--The valve can be used, the windings need disconected from each other. see Mini Sprockerts post "Its mearly a matter of disconnecting the windings from the center tap and each other, to be able to use these motors with MSII. The only thing I have not checked as of yet i the winding resistances and whether they are within the limits of the MSII stepper driver. "

Denis O'Brien.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Well the MSII IAC controller can output 750mA continuously.

So 12v and 19 Ohms gives me 630mA - should be OK as long as the motor can take the current. MS site suggests to check if it gets hot if left on!

As long as I break one of the black wires in the picture above it should work as bipolar.

Sprox - how did you get the unit apart, looks like three pins, did you drill them?

Edited by Paul S on 3rd Dec, 2006.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

iv got a spare motor jsut for this.., jsut not the time, allthough i plan on implementing the PWM to stepper convertoer or mayb even MSII when i rebuild the car over the winter.

Denis O'Brien.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

motor is DEFINATELY 12v. the signle big commmon terminal is connected to a switched +12v alogn wiht the injectors and ignition coil in the standard loom.

Denis O'Brien.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

My MSII arrived yesterday and I'm now waiting for some parts to get the EDIS fitted and working.

I'm going to bring in the sensors one by one, and then fit the MPi inlet. But I then need the siamesed code to actually run it. Let's hope Jean is getting on OK with it.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Axel,

I'm sorry it's taking so long but I haven't been able to put the time I thought I could on the siamese code. I probably still won't be able to put much time on it in the next 2 weeks but should have plenty of time during the holidays.

My current plan is to have a first version of the code go public for the start of 2007 at the latest.

Regards,
Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Jean,

Did you ever get the air-temp sensor I posted (and the other stuff in the package)? I'm guessing not as you never mentioned it???

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Dave,

No, I never received it. How long ago did you send it?

http://www.jbperf.com/

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

months... :(

Send me your address again and I'll send another. Maybe some greedy customs / mail man spotted the 'jelly belly' sweeties and decided to make the parcel disappear... *angry*

I'll put tracking on it this time LOL!

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Rover Mini SPi and MPi Stepper Motors
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: