Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > FAQ / Knowledge > Cam Data

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Got bored with work this morning so decided to try and compare cam options.

This may be of use.

The curves are pure sine wave, not based on any particular measurement but based on published data.

It gives a graphical method of comparing lift, duration and LSAs.

If anyone wants a cam added, please pm.

EDIT: I've added the Phase 2. It's all in the exhaust!

Attachments:

Edited by Paul S on 15th Nov, 2006.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

not much overlap on the SW5!!

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th of Nov, 2006 at 02:10pm mini13 said:

That would normally be good for a turbo, but I think the exhaust opens too late, which I think would hurt bottom end response.

I like the look of the MD274, but it is probably a bit radical for my road 998 turbo.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Good stuff Axel, if you have some of the cams to hand and a DTI you could physically measure lift at all degrees, taking this into Excel will produce a "best fit curve" which I found to usually be 6th order polynomial. This then allows you to integrate the area underneath the curve to get a "total valve area" which is very interesting to look at when comparing the profiles.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th of Nov, 2006 at 04:19pm Tom Fenton said:
Good stuff Axel, if you have some of the cams to hand and a DTI you could physically measure lift at all degrees, taking this into Excel will produce a "best fit curve" which I found to usually be 6th order polynomial. This then allows you to integrate the area underneath the curve to get a "total valve area" which is very interesting to look at when comparing the profiles.

Good idea Tom if I had the cams to hand and the time.

I've used a percentage sine curve to represent the ramps between the published points but it is probable that some cams accelerate the valve quicker than others giving more area under the curve.

I think this is the best way to look at the published data.

Can you integrate a 6th order polynomial then Tom? I've forgotten how!

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I could integrate one about 4 years ago when I wrote my dissertation on the subject! Whether I could now I don't know, although from memory I don't think its actually that difficult.

Besides, if you can't integrate it, Excel certainly can!

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

AlexF2003

5795 Posts
Member #: 80
AFRacing LTD

Newbury, Berks

Tom thats the only real way to do it...

I was involved in a project like that with ford looking at wether VVT on diesels would be worth it from an emissions point of view.

It took ages to measure 48 different cams lol

Alex

AlexF

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I think that in a road going Turbo application there is more to it than the area under the curve.

We all know that a high lift, high duration, low LSA cam will have a huge area under the curve but would be crap.

I think it is important to consider the exhaust opening, overlap and LSA in conjunction with the area under the curve.

I'm still thinking of using the MD274.

Some closeups:

Attachments:

Edited by Paul S on 15th Nov, 2006.

JT

2742 Posts
Member #: 637
Post Whore

Hertfordshire

how do you open the file??
it keeps opening in word and its a load of nonsens!!!!
i keep clicking to open it in internet explorer, bit it keeps going to word!!

F**kING PCs!!!!!!!!

cheers
josh

My build thread..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=542985

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

It should open with Adobe PDF Viewer.

You must have word set to open .pdf files on your computer.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

i'd be interested to see a 266 and 286 on there, well a 266 inlet and 286 exhaust really,

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th of Nov, 2006 at 06:17pm mini13 said:
i'd be interested to see a 266 and 286 on there, well a 266 inlet and 286 exhaust really,

Give me the figures and I'll add them.

Also tell me what you wish to compare with eg PH2, MGM etc

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 15th of Nov, 2006 at 02:19pm Axel said:

On 15th of Nov, 2006 at 02:10pm mini13 said:

That would normally be good for a turbo, but I think the exhaust opens too late, which I think would hurt bottom end response.

I like the look of the MD274, but it is probably a bit radical for my road 998 turbo.

SW5 worked very very well in mine. Incredibly torquey virtually from idle, and makes good power all the way to 7000rpm+

I'm surprised to see how much overlap the Ph2 cam has on that graph.

Out of interest. Has anyone ever measured exhaust gas back pressure on their setups ? and comapred inlet/exhaust pressure ?

That would be an indicator, of how big you could go, with the overlap.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

On 15th of Nov, 2006 at 04:27pm Axel said:

On 15th of Nov, 2006 at 04:19pm Tom Fenton said:

Good idea Tom if I had the cams to hand and the time.

I've used a percentage sine curve to represent the ramps between the published points but it is probable that some cams accelerate the valve quicker than others giving more area under the curve.

I think this is the best way to look at the published data.

Can you integrate a 6th order polynomial then Tom? I've forgotten how!

i have graphed out a lot of cams over the years ,its definately true to say that the ramps can vary a lot from say 20 degrees seat to .050 lift up to 35 to 40 degrees for the same event ,, if you can get the seat timnig ,and the .050 lift timing axel ,that would tell you the ramp dimensions , unfortunately in the uk this isnt normally given ,hence my graphing over the years , .
i graphed out 4 astra 1300 cams at one time doing some research , and found that they varied so much it was like comparing rally and fast rd , specially lsa . ive found that cams i have had made by piper to be quite good on the regularity of duration front .
generally the higher the technology of the ramp design ,the greater the acceleration rate ,and so the seat to .050 time gets shorter , i think the shortest i know of was 22 degrees but im sure there must be some about now that are shorter ,but maybe a bit short lived . average is 28 degrees ish .
oh also the ramp at lift is sometimes v diff to the ramp at close to keep the tappet quiet .
regards
robert

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

I've just measured a PH 2 cam.... *Nerd*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

And ????

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

On 15th Nov, 2006 stevieturbo said:

Out of interest. Has anyone ever measured exhaust gas back pressure on their setups ? and comapred inlet/exhaust pressure ?

That would be an indicator, of how big you could go, with the overlap.

A certain someone that is now banned from TM apparently supposedly allegedgely went down this route, but during an period he came back and deleted all the posts about it.

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

I need to re check this really but here oit is anyway, I timed the cam at 109 deg atdc but in the graph it looks later than that (probably due to taking a reading every 5 degrees). also there are a couple of bumps, i may have made a typo entering the figures.

Edited by Joe C on 25th Nov, 2008.

scooperman

85 Posts
Member #: 2234
Advanced Member

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

Looking at cam displacement graphs just isn't very informative. When you get more data points then you will be able to get accurate velocity, acceleration, and jerk plots. I am concerned that sinusoidal curves fit to a few data points will not be accurate enough, maybe for the three-arc cam profiles but not for a polynomial fit profile.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 26th Nov, 2008 scooperman said:
Looking at cam displacement graphs just isn't very informative. When you get more data points then you will be able to get accurate velocity, acceleration, and jerk plots. I am concerned that sinusoidal curves fit to a few data points will not be accurate enough, maybe for the three-arc cam profiles but not for a polynomial fit profile.

You know that, I know that, we all know that.

If all you have is the published timing figures, then this is a graphical method of interpreting them.

When I posted this two years ago, it was just intended as a way of comparing cams before you bought one.

Why is everyone trying to be a smart arse, that's my job.

James_H

3692 Posts
Member #: 1833
Formally mini_majic

Auckland, New Zealand

On 26th Nov, 2008 scooperman said:
jerk plots.

hehehe

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

jerk....

Home > FAQ / Knowledge > Cam Data
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: