Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > How To > Tips on Welding!!!

madcatminis

549 Posts
Member #: 5327
Post Whore

Dudley, West mids

Oh don't buy a tig welder for use on a car. Will be a waste of money. Get a good mig welder, a 160amp will be sound. Imagine trying to tig weld and feed in filler wire under the wing where it meets the scuttle. NEAR IMPOSSIBLE.
Regarding welding thicker material a 160amp welder will also be sound for welding heavier gauge, Just make sure that you weld prep the edges by grinding a 45 degree angle on them. Do a root run then capper run over the top until you fill the joint prep. *smiley*

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

So what's the general conscensus on wire thickness with a MIG?

I have been using 0.6mm and find it quite difficult to butt weld stuff as I can't get enough weld in before it melts and my seam welds look a bit small.

I'm just about out of wire, so was thinking about trying 0.8mm for a while to see what it's like.

Any thoughts/opinions?

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

I use 0.6 for the car and 0.8 when I'm doing heavier stuff

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

As above, 0.6mm for thin steel. Anything larger (ie, 0.8mm) and you will have to turn the current up too high and blow the base material away.

If you are having trouble with 0.6mm, try changing the current setting or wire speed.

0.6mm is the best for car body panels if you have the other settings right.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

apbellamy

16540 Posts
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Thanks

Getting a better welder keeps corssing my mind. I have a clarke 120E, but the power controls are switched rather than on a dial. I had better results with the welders I learned on at evening college (big powerfull things...) I was thinking something with better controls and a little more power (150/160 amp) might give better results.

Or is that just a poor workman blaiming his tools *wink*

i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

My Snap on 130 has switches for power, 1/2 and Min/Max, it does the job fine for me.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

James_H

3692 Posts
Member #: 1833
Formally mini_majic

Auckland, New Zealand

I personally just use 0.8mm wire. Dont have any problems really.

I hated my little hobby mig with crappy gas bottles. Since i splashed out and got a decent machine i have never looked back! Well worth the money!

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

i use 0.8 on CO2, i found 0.6 a little too... er i dunno weedy, doesnt like welding on higher power settings especially upside down lol

i think its more a case of trying them both an seeing witch suits your welding style most

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I gues I'll get a small roll of 0.8 and give it a try on some scrap...

*hehe!*

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Don't forget if you do try 0.8, you'll need to change the tip to suit.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Good point...

EDIT: I feel a trip to machinemart coming on, I need a new shroud anyway...

On 20th Aug, 2009 Rod S said:
Don't forget if you do try 0.8, you'll need to change the tip to suit.

Edited by apbellamy on 20th Aug, 2009.

*hehe!*

turbominivanman

1105 Posts
Member #: 1504
Post Whore

Westbury, Wiltshire

0.8 mm and Argoshield Light for me - have always had great results with that combo.

I did use CO2 for a while but converted to argon & CO2 mix (Argoshield Light) after I quized my welding supplies bloke one day. He informed me that my CO2 was such a cold shielding gas it was the source of my panel warpage and he said it introduces the risk of moisture entering the weld pool.

Everything got a great deal better when on Argoshield.

Also, as I've said before, I also use my 0.8 mm mig to weld aluminium and stainless for which I use pure Argon and change the wire rolls over. Halfords do Ali and St Steel 0.8 mm rolls for about £8 a piece and a small bottle of Argon is about £15. Good for brackets, small jobs and welding the die cast ali stuff like thermostat housings.

Richard.

Minivanless, but reluctantly happy living with the decision. There'll be another one day.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=minimadmotorman#p/u

apbellamy

16540 Posts

I use argosheild from BOC, can't be bothered with the liitle PITA bottles.

I think I'm going to give a small real of 0.8mm a go.

*hehe!*

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

When useing Argon dont forget the unfortunate lesson learned by that chap in the US when he used brake cleaner to clean the area to be welded!

Best tip I can offer is get a photo reactive shield. this has improved my welding immeasurably

Edited by Mr Joshua on 21st Aug, 2009.

Own the day

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

might be worth cleaning or replacing the torch liner as well; especially with the cheaper machines, the wire can cut a groove in the liner and affect the wire feed;

Home > How To > Tips on Welding!!!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: