Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Nicks Clubby

Nick
Forum Mod

4823 Posts
Member #: 154
Post Whore

Midlands

didn't start working till about 1pm today, did a bit more on the fuel lines, clipped em to the bulkhead and stuff. took the rad cowling off the inner wing ready, and spent ages trying to get the locknuts off my old steering rack which just isn't going to happen they're well and truly rusted on.

Had a break for another xmas dinner *wink* then started building the engine up. Took our time building up the bottom end making sure everything was spotless and didn't want to rush and fuck something up. Had to go search the net aswell and look for a conversion chart as my new torque wrench is in Nm...d'oh!
The engines gone together real easily so far, nice and straight forward. Everythings been cleaned up and repainted where it needed it.

Only hit one major snag with it so far which is a core plug that doesn't fit! It's too small and just slops around like a dick in shirt sleeve :( typically it was the last one i came to fit aswell so i couldn't try another plug to see if the hole was too big or the plug too small, i suspect the plug though tbh.
Other than that the cams all timed up, timing cover's on, crank pulley and sensor bracket are on, had to remove it though when i forgot to put the feckin fan belt on.

Off to min-its in the morning for an inner CV gaitor, hopefully some new core plugs and with any luck 2 1/2" UNF nuts for me steering rack. I seem to be spending more time driving around picking up unexpected parts than actually working.

Transfer case and flywheel in the morning and then i'll drop it in, stick on a spare head and have a look at how i'm gonna sort that downpipe out....

Edited by Nick on 27th Dec, 2006.

On 20th Oct, 2015 Tom Fenton said:

Well here is the news, you are not welcome here, FUCK OFF.

Doodmeister

485 Posts
Member #: 149

Alberta, Canada

Looking good BUD... should look sweet when it all done and in.. :)

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dangerous

2521 Posts
Member #: 417
Post Whore

Swindon

Torque wrench settings in Nm to suit these new fangled wrenche's

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=11246

Metro turbo weekend driver,Mini turbo in the making again!

themaninthesuitcase

43 Posts
Member #: 1124

Surrey

I have a Rover service manual with torque settings in Nm and Lb/ft (starts on page 61). The manual covers the ERA too so may be of help to some.

Will host until I remove it due to my bandwidth getting crippled as it is a 42MB file (so I doubt it will be up for long)
*gone - 1.5GB in 1 day!*

(I also have 59-76 and 92-96 if people want them pm me and I will see what I can do)

Edited by themaninthesuitcase on 28th Dec, 2006.

Nick
Forum Mod

4823 Posts
Post Whore

Midlands

engines still not in, need to sort out me turbo oil drain properly before it goes in as its a hell of a lot easier to do with the engine out of the car. Off to b&q in the morning to see if i can find any useful parts.

Big thanks to Karl (doodmeister) for the steering rack locking nuts, will sort them out tomorrow while i do the inner CV boot.

Here's how it sits at the minute anyway.

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

bud can you roatate the core of your turbo any more to get that oil drain at the bottom?

looking nice-just dont drop anything down those holes in the clutch cover-hahaha

Nick
Forum Mod

4823 Posts
Post Whore

Midlands

i haven't rotated the core at all yet, i want to try and leave it where it is really cos if i make the drain any lower then it'll put it lower than the hole in the block which can't be a good thing i imagine?

and i'll be careful round the wok, don't want to drop me 17mm sapnner in there *wink* haven't managed to drop a washer in the cylinder either yet!

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

saying that- i dropped a washer that fell down the back of the engine and into the oil drain hole when i was about to fit it!

doh

Nick
Forum Mod

4823 Posts
Post Whore

Midlands

d'oh....thast why i've got bodge tape over my transfer case breather, i always worry about dropping the steady bar bolt down there!

RogerM

2514 Posts
Member #: 1217
I like nice quiet girly Minis

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

LOL you two .......

As for the oil drain I am sure it's a little oversive so some mis-alignment won't be too much trouble. I have been looking at what the 998 boys get up to and they seem to manage ok and their block is shorter than yours. Guessing it will be ok.

Every day is a school day ...........

How fast and how expensive ...... the same question...

On 27th of Sep, 2007 at 12:45pm Jimster said:

why do you you think I got a girlfriend with small hands?

Stig

397 Posts
Member #: 694

Shropshire

Bud let me know how toy get on with your oil supply hose, as i will need one of those very shortly :)

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

That's a T25 off a Nissan isn't it? I don't recognise the split turbine housing though?

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Anton

1050 Posts
Member #: 764
Post Whore

Staffordshire

lemmie know when you wanna do ya loom dude... fingers crossed i wont be in a neck brace in a few hours tho

i'm free every night. i think...

Nick
Forum Mod

4823 Posts
Post Whore

Midlands

as far as i know dave its off a bluebird, so a T2? kean won it for a tenner off ebay a while ago and i yoinked it *wink*

ant, come over whenever dude. i might be bringing the engine crane and 998 over to ya tonight...fingers crossed you're ok at thospital.

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

On 28th of Dec, 2006 at 04:36pm bud666 said:
ant, come over whenever dude. i might be bringing the engine crane and 998 over to ya tonight...fingers crossed you're ok at thospital.

Does that mean that the 998 is no longer available?

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

fordimus maximus

298 Posts
Member #: 1357

telford,shropshire

cant believe the progress that youve made in such a short time, gives me a glimmer of hope!

absolute leg end

'always keep a spare shot for a stray bird'

SumpNut
Forum Mod

1322 Posts
Member #: 28
Post Whore

Milton Keynes

Dave i dont think it is off the nissan, the t25 from the 200sx has an annoying compressor housing with no pipe cast in to connect hose onto, this is more like a r5 T2 with a nice cast mounting point, no bolt on tubes required

RogerM

2514 Posts
Member #: 1217
I like nice quiet girly Minis

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

My montego diesel turbo came from a friend that bought it for his silvia that he later sold before he changed the turbo. The fact he got them mixed up suggests that the earlier 1800 nissan lump used a turbo simialr in shape to the R5. My turbo looks like Buds....

Every day is a school day ...........

How fast and how expensive ...... the same question...

On 27th of Sep, 2007 at 12:45pm Jimster said:

why do you you think I got a girlfriend with small hands?

Nick
Forum Mod

4823 Posts
Post Whore

Midlands

Keans been round today proving extremely useful again, i think we've broke the back of it now. The oil drain and turbo elbow/downpipe are now sorted. picking my head up from simon tomorrow afternoon aswell!

I know where the intercoolers going, and i'll be able to re-use all the piping from my old car which will save a lot of time and hassle. All i need to do now is figure out where i'm going to mount the radiator. I've got an MPI rad and fan to go in which is really compact so leaves me with a few different choices. The intercooler is a cossie one and will be going under the slam panel right up against the grille, i'm tempted to mount the rad behind this which leaves the bottom 3 vents free for my oil cooler. any comments/opinions on whether this is a good move would be appreciated.
I could mount it down the bottom, on top of the subframe but this will mean hacking a big hole in the front panel which i don't really want to do as i want to keep the car looking stock on the outside if i can.

tomorrow should see it looking a lot more like an engine bay again with a bit of luck.

here's some pics from today anyway.

Engine in place:

Loads of room up front:

Loads of room at the back:

turbo elbow:

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

shit the bed, theres shed loads of space in that engine bay!

did you make the alloy baseplate for the master cylinders? looks miles baetter than the std tin thing.

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

Nick
Forum Mod

4823 Posts
Post Whore

Midlands

still got all the stuff on the front of the block to go which will take up some room but i cant get over how much free space there is either. My old car had an injection subby which seriously limited the room up front but this ones an old twin bolt jobby.

Bought the master cylinder baseplate off ebay, didn't need one but i thought it looked cool and i'm a big tart *tongue*

jimmy

1300 Posts
Member #: 829
Post Whore

essex

bud666 what cylinder head are you using *wink*

1293 Turbo mini

Nick
Forum Mod

4823 Posts
Post Whore

Midlands

i'm having my stage 2 morspeed head worked some more, new guides, stainless valves etc. It needed a refurb and i thought i might aswell get some extra work done at the same time.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 28th of Dec, 2006 at 11:34pm bud666 said:

Bought the master cylinder baseplate off ebay, didn't need one but i thought it looked cool and i'm a big tart *tongue*

I hope you lengthened your master cylinder pushrod(s) by the thickness of the plate; you've just reduced your pedal travel by fitting that thick piece of alloy *wink*

Brakes might be ok - but if running a grey diaphram you'll likely run into problems ultimately. Shame, as it does look trick :)

So is the turbo a 0.48 turbine? I recall the bluebird is a 0.63?

Edited by TurboDave16V on 29th Dec, 2006.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Leonard

368 Posts
Member #: 806

Cirencester, Gloucestershire

good job bud. i like your ultimate engine steady in the lastest pics!

Home > Show Us Yours! > Nicks Clubby
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: