Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > MS Trials & Testing > Bench testing the siamese code *** Updated code

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

I have been bench testing the siamese code and things are looking pretty good. As I said in the other thread, my oscilloscope stopped working so I found a replacement that's good enough for some testing. I'm using a PC sound card scope using freeware, a couple of resistors, a couple of potentiometers, and some wires.

From the tests, I can say that the injection timing is actually working albeit with a small inaccuracy when injecting close to a tooth trigger. I have also verified that staging (standard MS2/extra feature) still works. I still need to verify that I haven't broken anything in the ignition part but that shouldn't be.

At the moment the code works with a 36-1 wheel (same as EDIS setup) and supports wasted spark (to be verified). It may or may not support other combinations but I haven't tested them and I haven't made sure the code would be compatible with them. The other MS2/extra features should all be available but again I haven't verified if anything is broken.

As I mentioned, there will be a need for more bench testing and I can't do it all so if you want to use the code, you should plan to have a bench test setup. In any case, you'll need a minimal setup to build the MS and to diagnose any issue with your setup. Diagnosing a malfunctioning unit in the car is quite messy and very difficult to assess if a fault is coming from the ECU or the rest of the installation. This is even more the case with experimental code which this still is and will be for quite some time if the number of installations remains low.

If you want the code, let me know and I'll send it to you. As it is now, I think that it would be able to run a car so that is also an option but I cannot guarantee the results.

Jean

Edited by jbelanger on 16th Feb, 2007.

http://www.jbperf.com/

Bat

4559 Posts
Member #: 786
Post Whore

Bermingum

Hi,
Congratulations! This is great news!
I take it from the fact this is based on extra code that you don't need to use an EDIS module?
I take it you'll need a cam sensor too?
Cheers,
Gavin :)

VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk

My Mini build diary

RogerM

2514 Posts
Member #: 1217
I like nice quiet girly Minis

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Jean,

top job my friend.

At the moment I only have MS1's (on V2.2 boards) available but I hope to have an MS2 (on V3) shortly. I have all the kit for testing (my work is developing diesel fuel injection control stratergy!!) and would be up for testing in car two (lets face it .... can't make my 1380 run any lumpier ...LOL)

Just a question to people generally, what inlet manifolds are you planning on using? Mpi will probably do for NA but maybe need a bit more juice for blow applications.
Does anybody make a tubular steel version that we could double boss?

Every day is a school day ...........

How fast and how expensive ...... the same question...

On 27th of Sep, 2007 at 12:45pm Jimster said:

why do you you think I got a girlfriend with small hands?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 11th of Feb, 2007 at 12:21pm RogerM said:
Just a question to people generally, what inlet manifolds are you planning on using? Mpi will probably do for NA but maybe need a bit more juice for blow applications.
Does anybody make a tubular steel version that we could double boss?

Therein lies the next big problem.

This needs a special design manifold with long runners and a plenum.

I have a design and the materials, just need a couple of grand for the tools to make it!

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

i was thinking about this the other night,

would it be possible for testing purposes to get a manifold 3D printed in plastic?

Fair enough it may not last too long especially as it's close to the exhaust, but maybe long enough?

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Rawden

49 Posts
Member #: 1472
Prize Tool

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?a=postreply

Rawden

49 Posts
Prize Tool

opps!
Funny you should say that!

We have developed a number of diff manifis for the A Series, and our throttle body projects... However these are all not really saleable, and some are private commissions, and would not like to tread on any more toes!

If you would like to supply a drawing, or if you really want to a CAD model, would be pleased to give you a quote.

To help the project along, there would be no development charge.

Suggest we do a weldment ver, so you can check that most of the things, are in roughly in the right place, and if there are any mods, we can do them simply, and when everyone is happy
we can knock half a doz castings off.

Luckily a pal makes inlet manif, and we have access to a 5 axis machining centre, so patt equip (tooling) would not be a problem.

One project that we investigated was the incorporation of TB’s, in to the rocker cover, and rocker gear but we was only paid for the layout, so it never went any further, however it did incorporate coil on plug

Hope this is some help

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 11th of Feb, 2007 at 10:20am Bat said:
Hi,
Congratulations! This is great news!
I take it from the fact this is based on extra code that you don't need to use an EDIS module?
I take it you'll need a cam sensor too?
Cheers,

Not only don't you need the EDIS module but you can't use it because you need to connect the VR sensor directly to the ECU. The ECU needs the toothed wheel signal which the EDIS module doesn't provide. But all the other EDIS components (sensor, wheel, coil pack) can be used.

You don't need a cam sensor with this version of the code and actually, it doesn't support it. The code is semi-sequential with the injection timing firing on the open valve only for the outside cylinders which are the critical cylinders for preventing charge robbing. Look at Marcel's page for more details. Later versions will support a cam sensor for COP and fully sequential injection.

Jean

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

For testing purposes, I think that an SU manifold with injector pockets as close to the head as possible and an SU as the throttle body would suffice.

I wonder if you could even set it up so that in case of injection/ECU failure you could just disconnect the injectors and use the carb for a limp home mode.

But I agree that a new manifold design is needed and some proposals given on other threads here look quite interesting. One of the things to keep in mind is that you will likely need staged injectors with a high power turbo engine so think about injector placement so that the injectors are not aimed at one cylinder more than the other. I'm not sure I'm clear but let me know if I need to elaborate.

Jean

Rawden

49 Posts
Prize Tool

Why not have two injectors in each port.
one aimied at the outside cylinder, and one at the inside cylinder.

Mount them in a spherical bearing, so that you can change the position, a few degrees, if you feel you need to tweak, like Brabham did.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 11th of Feb, 2007 at 04:16pm Rawden said:
Why not have two injectors in each port.
one aimied at the outside cylinder, and one at the inside cylinder.

This has been explained before but I'll briefly do it again.

You only have a very small time window to inject into the outside cylinder which corresponds to about 25% of the complete engine cycle. Therefore you will only have about 25% duty cycle out of the injectors before you start having charge robbing. If you use only one injector for both cylinders you can up that duty cycle to about 50%. You have to understand that there is no overlap between the injection events for both cylinders.

So using 2 injectors in the way you describe, you're actually wasting one injector. You're much better off using one small and one big injectors aimed at both cylinders and staging them. Again, look at Marcel's site for more and search this forum.

Jean

p.s. Turned out to be not that brief :)

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 11th of Feb, 2007 at 12:21pm RogerM said:
At the moment I only have MS1's (on V2.2 boards) available but I hope to have an MS2 (on V3) shortly. I have all the kit for testing (my work is developing diesel fuel injection control stratergy!!) and would be up for testing in car two (lets face it .... can't make my 1380 run any lumpier ...LOL)

So I guess you're very familiar with injection timing issues and used to analyzing them. That will be useful here :) Also, let me know if you have any comments or suggestions about the code/current strategy.

With your background, have you ever given any thoughts about doing direct fuel injection in a Mini? With the right hardware and software, that would solve any charge robbing issue. Would you have access to such hardware? That would be an interesting mix of old and new technology.

Jean

Rawden

49 Posts
Prize Tool

Thanks for the explanation.

Thought it would mean two diffent sizes, and also perhaps two diffent positions...

I suppose untill some one builds a manifold and starts to test, and generate some data..

Rawden

49 Posts
Prize Tool

Interesting stuff on the manifolds.

Probably the best thing is to stay with the Rover MPI, as this could be used to establish a base line.

After all they did make a few of them, and it will mean at least you have a constant.

Once the development is under way the first thing would be to exceed the performance, (emmissions, power, and economy), of the Rover.

After this point is reached, you then know that the code, and the rest of the system work, and that more power will only come when the induction system is improoved.

This would be the correct time to look at new manifold design.

Bat

4559 Posts
Member #: 786
Post Whore

Bermingum

Hi,
Looks like I'd better get that complete MPi engine out of the garage and into my car *wink*
I liked this bit, said in a Jeremy Clarkson style ...

On 11th of Feb, 2007 at 01:12am jbelanger said:
and some wires.

Cheers,

Edited by Bat on 11th Feb, 2007.

VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk

My Mini build diary

AlexF2003

5795 Posts
Member #: 80
AFRacing LTD

Newbury, Berks

its so tempting to build up and MS2 and mess around with this!!

Alex

AlexF

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 11th of Feb, 2007 at 09:32pm AlexF2003 said:
its so tempting to build up and MS2 and mess around with this!!

Alex

So do it!!! :)

AlexF2003

5795 Posts
AFRacing LTD

Newbury, Berks

what would you consider a "proper" test bench then?

Alex

AlexF

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 11th of Feb, 2007 at 10:20pm AlexF2003 said:
what would you consider a "proper" test bench then?

Alex

The minimal test bench setup consists of: Megasquirt ECU with MS2 and V3.0 PCB, stimulator, power supply (walwart; don't use a car battery without some current limitation or you'll fry something), computer with a serial connection, a 36-1 signal generator, and a LED probe. This will allow testing of all the basic inputs and outputs from a functionality point-of-view but will not allow the validation of timing information.

The proper bench will include an oscilloscope instead of (or in addition to) the LED probe. This will allow the validation of all the timing information. A minimum of 2 traces are needed because you need to compare the timing of the output with the toothed wheel input. A PC sound card scope is sufficient for basic testing but is not fast enough for precise testing at high RPM or to look at things like injector PWM signal (for low-impedance injectors), injector opening time, or optimal coil dwell time.

The 36-1 generator can be done in different ways. It can be done with an actual toothed wheel, a VR sensor and a motor of some sort. It's usually difficult to have a motor that will allow the full RPM range but if one is available this will work well and be very representative of an actual installation. Another method is to use another microcontroller programmed for such a task. That's what I'm using (let me now if you want details). A planned upgrade for the stimulator will also use this method. A third way is to use a PC's output (either the speaker output or the parallel port) and a program that will generate the correct signal. There is such a program available on the megasquirt site but I haven't tried it.

If you want to do some fancy testing, you could also have a full set of injectors with fuel supply for injector testing and balancing and the full ignition set with coils and sparkplugs for dwell measurement but these have nothing to do with the code. They would be very useful for someone planning to do a lot of installations with different hardware.

Let me know if you need more information.

Regards,
Jean

AlexF2003

5795 Posts
AFRacing LTD

Newbury, Berks

Well I can tick all of those boxes except for a (working) signal gnerator and a stim!

I have used a sound card 36-1 signal generator but its use was limited as to change engine speed you had to load a diffrenent MP3 file. I'd be very interested in your microcontroller!

I did get a friend started on the same thing for me, but he ran out of time/tallent lol.

I guess I ought to break out the soldering iron this week!

Alex

AlexF

RogerM

2514 Posts

Just a quick thought for a cheap 36-1 signal gerneator.

Mount the wheel on a 540 sized motor and use a cheap (can be has for £20) speed controller from a radio controlled car to do the job of controlling speed. The signal the speed controller gets from the reciever is normally a voltage so changing that with a pot world work.

If you want to go even cheaper use a wiper arm over a wire wound resistor (heat sink essential) of a suitable rating to change the voltage to the motor. If you couldn't find a wire wound of a suitable range it's not beyond the wit of man to make one up.

Do well either of these would be capable of giving you everything from just above stall on the motor (about 20 rpm for a basic 540 running 7.2V) upto 10/12 k rpm.

RogerM

2514 Posts

Alex how do you test the MS's you sell if you don't have a stim???

RogerM

2514 Posts

Jean,

I have though about direct inejction on an A-series and I don't think it would be possible. Where / how would you mount the injector? Every bit of space is taken up with ports, water jacket or spark plug. The valve train is in the way for mounting directly at the top of the port (best place).

I am still not personally convinced of direct injection in SI engines. I personally don't think anybody really has the hardware techonolgy down yet.
Also most DI engines are designed with that in mind so there is sufficient space between the valves for the nozzle and sufficient material to sink combustion heat away from the nozzle also.

As for the hardware around me it's all way to big ... would struggle to get four of them under the rocker cover with all the valve train removed ... LOL.

RogerM

2514 Posts

Has anybody done any measurements to give a reasonable idea of port velocities in an A-series inlet through a sensible rev range (say 850 - 7000 rpm)? I am just thinking what information is actually out there to help wiht manifold design. To my mind you have to strike a balance between too close (poolling on valve at some conditions) and too far away (making it more prone to the charge robbing.

Once you have the port velocities you can get a lot closer but my guess is it will still be relative to peak BHP target and intended rev range so making a one-size-fits-all inlet manifold might be tricky.

AlexF2003

5795 Posts
AFRacing LTD

Newbury, Berks

On 12th of Feb, 2007 at 12:37pm RogerM said:
Alex how do you test the MS's you sell if you don't have a stim???

I don't sell MS in a built up form atm - but like I said I have a sound card based system for basic testing.

Alex

AlexF

Home > MS Trials & Testing > Bench testing the siamese code *** Updated code
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: