Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > MS Trials & Testing > Bench testing the siamese code *** Updated code

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

For those interested in bench testing, I've designed a small board to help scope the signals and ease the input of a 36-1 signal into the MS. This will also be useful when setting up a system in a car. You can have a look at my post on the megasquirt forum: http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?p=161149#161149.

To have more explanations on the board have a look at the beginning of the thread and look at Jeff Corsaro's site to get an idea of the board functionality. My board is slightly different but you'll get the idea until I get my own web page set up.

I'm going to use this board with the stim but it could also be used instead of the stim if you use your own 36-1 signal (which you have to do in any case) and if you use a few potentiometers for the different sensors (coolant temp, intake temp, O2 sensor, TPS) or you could use actual sensors for testing.

Let me know if you're interested in a board.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

dhaines

10 Posts
Member #: 1539

Denver, Colorado

Dave, are you really in South Park, CO? if so im only 85 miles away in Denver, mabye I can help out with the testing

"sorry, Jedi mind tricks don't work on retards" Mediocre Films 2008

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

BOING!!!!

Jean,
I need one of these - but will need a 'shopping list' from digikey aswell...

Tell me your paypal *wink*

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Dave, pm sent.

For those who want more info: http://www.jbperf.com/signal_interceptor/

Jean

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

nice to see your alive chap, wondered where you had gotten too :)

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Hi Peter,

Glad to hear from you!

It would be good to continue with the V3.0 PCB. It would simplify things a bit. However, I could use my v2.2 board with the other MS2 so if you want I can ship your ECU to you.

When do you think you'd be able to start testing? The current code is based on a previous alpha version of MS2/extra which may have some issues unrelated to the siamese code. I was waiting to get some validation of my code by someone else's bench testing before porting it to the latest release. But if you want to test it in a car, I'll look at that right away.

Are you still in Africa or are you back home? Let me know how you want to proceed.

Cheers,
Jean

RogerM

2514 Posts
Member #: 1217
I like nice quiet girly Minis

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Peter .. so which is it ... rwd or a different gearbox?

Every day is a school day ...........

How fast and how expensive ...... the same question...

On 27th of Sep, 2007 at 12:45pm Jimster said:

why do you you think I got a girlfriend with small hands?

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Has the Magazine been shelved then Peter what with you working away?

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

RogerM

2514 Posts

I had a feeling ... LOL

Do you have any idea how much fun, or otherwise, it's going to be to get it mounted up in the subby?

Will the engine have to go forward so the diff clears the subframe or is it a long way to the offside for the engine?

Sounds really interesting.

RogerM

2514 Posts

was just looking at a meastro in a breakers and my thought way "thats wide".

Look forward to seeing it when done but if I was going to all that trouble I'd be thinking of a different engine to be honest.

Fair play for doing it though mate.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 17th of Apr, 2007 at 05:34pm RogerM said:

if I was going to all that trouble I'd be thinking of a different engine to be honest.

Can't agree with that enough. sure, it's an a-series, but I'd much sooner see a decent motor liek a 4AGE in there instead.

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Ben H

3329 Posts
Member #: 184

Melton Mowbray, Pie Country

On 17th of Apr, 2007 at 05:34pm RogerM said:

Look forward to seeing it when done but if I was going to all that trouble I'd be thinking of a different engine to be honest.

It seems a lot of work to me too, and changing the gearbox will move the car into sports libra for hillclimb/sprinting. I guess it is a stronger 5 speed box for the road.

Nothing is to much for Peter though, will we be seeing anything at Avon park this year?

http://www.twin-turbo.co.uk
http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/default.asp

A man without a project is like a like a woman without a shopping list.

RogerM

2514 Posts

4age .... oh yes ..... *wink* I love those .. basically a BDA with metric fasteners!!!

Shall we give Jean his thread back now?????

lol

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

cant understand people doing things differently myself ,*wink**wink*

you get 99 percent of people saying it wont work*wink*

and 1 percent saying go for it ...........,oh yes i forgot ,thats my job .....
GO FOR IT PETER !!!! *happy* *happy* *happy* *wink*

Edited by robert on 17th Apr, 2007.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

minimiglia0

17 Posts
Member #: 1555

hi there just wondering how the code is coming along.

i am currently building an mpi with an eaton charger, i have modified the original mpi inlet manifold to accept the charger sat on top with a billet adaptor also have fitted 2 extra injector at the back of the manifold in a direct line with the inlet port.
in this set up i intend to use the original 2 injecotr position for the low running injectors which will be magnetti marelli iwp043 330-420cc dependant on fuel pressure then the other 2 injectors which will be identical iwp043 as staged injectors.

i would like to trial the siamese code on this setup, does anyone see any problems with the setup

i am running the standard mpi flywheel with reluctor ring 32-4 teeth although i can weld up the other 3 missing teeth if this causes aproblem

cheers mike

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

There is a version of the code that seems to work on the bench but there hasn't been any other validation done by anyone but me. It is also based on an early version of the MS2/extra code. I am working on a newer version based on the latest version of the MS2/extra code but it's not yet ready.

The siamese-port code does not support the 36-4 wheel (neither does any version of the MS2/extra code). If you have the exact position of the missing teeth then let me know and it is possible that a later version will support it. For now, the only option would be to add 3 missing teeth.

I don't know what power level you're hoping to achieve but the injectors might be on the small side if you're thinking anything much over 120-130 HP. Don't forget that the usable duty cycle for port injection on the siamese-port engine is limited to about 40-50%. You might want to keep these injectors for primary ones and find bigger ones for the secondary injectors.

Cheers,
Jean

RogerM

2514 Posts

I know I've been slack on this Jean .....

I now have everything I need to test properly except time (and an MS2 not in a car ..... can just be pulley out though)

I haven't fogotten that I said I would do this further testing.

I will mail you later and we hopefully can move this forward.

minimiglia0

17 Posts
Member #: 1555

ok jean thanks for the reply i had a feeling the 36-4 would cause problems so will repace the missing teeth and leave just the one at 40deg btdc was hoping for just over the 130 bhp mark so i guess ill have to source some bigger injectors would these injectors i have still not be big enough even running at the higher end of there scope at 420cc what size would you recommend as a minimum many thanks

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I also have had other familly stuff taking priority over this... Apologies. :(

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On a more positive note, once I've got the car and the wifes 35 MOTd I shall be getting back to this.

I'm going to fit the two widebands on the LCB downlegs (1275 NA), then do a run with the carb fitted as a baseline.

I'm using the LM-1 and aux box for datalogging.

I've got to finish the fuel rails and throttle body branch, then fit the EFI manifold on the car.

I'm going to run it first of all with bog standard MS2 injection, alternating injectors and 4 pulses per cycle, just to see how well that works.

Then I'm going to convert to MS2/extra, junk the EDIS etc. See how that works.

Then upload the Siamesed port code and run that. Hopefully I'll be able to develope a NA advance map for the injection that we will be able to extend for boost.

Finally fit the 998 turbo engine. Project finished *happy*

Simpole as that - not.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

On 5th of Sep, 2007 at 07:23am RogerM said:
I know I've been slack on this Jean .....

I now have everything I need to test properly except time (and an MS2 not in a car ..... can just be pulley out though)

I haven't fogotten that I said I would do this further testing.

I will mail you later and we hopefully can move this forward.

I'm tied up for the next couple of weeks (spraying, watch the MGs at Coombe and entertains some ladies) but when I'm done I'll pop up for a weekend to give you a hand to get the test bed up and running.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Not being funny but how many times do I need to post up the tooth format of the MPI reluctor before anyone actualy takes any notice.

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=9523

On 30th of May, 2006 at 09:56pm Mini Sprocket said:

To quote from the Rover workshop manual

"The flywheel incorporates a reluctor ring which
consists of 32 poles spaced at 10° intervals, with 4
missing poles at 30°,60°, 210° and 250°. The
missing poles inform the ECM when to operate the
groups of injectors.

The camshaft position sensor has two functions. The
first is to enable the ECM to run a sequential fuelling
mode. The second is to measure the actual cam
period, this measurement is achieved using teeth on
the camshaft to indicate when the valve opens and
closes."

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=171104

On 13th of Aug, 2007 at 10:26pm Mini Sprocket said:
MPi flywheel data

Missing teeth at 30, 60, 210 and 250.

There is 2 teeth between 30 and 60, 14 teeth between 60 and 210, 3 teeth between 210 and 250, 13 teeth between 250 and 30. 0 being TDC on #1/4 cylinder (TDC1) 180 being TDC on #2/3 cylinder (TDC2)

It is documented in the rover workshop manual. And been available for quite some time :-

And please dont take this post as negative. I would in the depths of my heart like to see this working :)

Edited by Sprocket on 6th Sep, 2007.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Thank you Mini Sprocket. I'm sorry I forgot about that and I was a bit lazy in searching for it.

Do you know what the cam signal looks like? From one of the previous post, it looks like a single pulse per cycle (which makes sense) but I'd like to know where (in degrees) it happens. The standard MS2/extra code expects the cam signal to arrive before tooth #1 so I'd have to see where it happens and decide then which tooth should be #1.

As for Roger and Dave, it's not a problem. Family matters come first and I also have been somewhat slack about finishing the siamese-port code based on the latest MS2/extra code.

Paul, that sounds like a good plan. Very methodical which should be great for finding what's happening if something goes wrong. I look forward to see the results.

Jean

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 5th of Sep, 2007 at 08:26am minimiglia0 said:
ok jean thanks for the reply i had a feeling the 36-4 would cause problems so will repace the missing teeth and leave just the one at 40deg btdc was hoping for just over the 130 bhp mark so i guess ill have to source some bigger injectors would these injectors i have still not be big enough even running at the higher end of there scope at 420cc what size would you recommend as a minimum many thanks

You're probably going to be ok with that power level but you'll have to watch the duty cycle to make sure that it doesn't go too high. Otherwise you'll be injecting outside the injection window and you'll have one lean pair of cylinders and one rich pair.

Jean

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I now have the MPi cam so will slot it into a block and time it up then see where the signal occurs.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Home > MS Trials & Testing > Bench testing the siamese code *** Updated code
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: