Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > High Tensile, mains bolts

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Member #: 375
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Cheers carl will get on it this weekend, Its alot easier when you have a part number!

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On mine (which Carl supplied, thanks again!!!) one was very close to bottoming out in the hole even with the washer.
I depth mike'd all six holes and they varied by 2mm, and of course it was one of the centre ones that was the shallowest. The cap had had the bare minimum shaved off so to be on the safe side I machined 1mm off the end of each bolt.
The easy test was to screw the bolts in WITHOUT the washer until they either touched the strap or bottomed in the hole without touching the strap (as one of mine did).
Otherwise, brilliant - they have the next size up AF head to the standard or MiniSpares so they spread the load to the strap at a greater radius, and hence over a larger area.

Rod.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 27th Feb, 2008 johnK said:
Sprock - have you calculated the under head stress/unit area on the cap heads to make sure you aren't going to yield the strap/cap material - may be worth dropping some hard (bmw head washers etc) under the heads - just a thought!

JK

Valid point, However, if the yield of the bolt is higher that what you require, would you still need to torque it to 75% of its yield?

Im only using the cap heads on my engine for the extra two bolts of the four bolt cap, But, i will use hardened washers as you advise.

Im still happy that the standard factory bolts are up to the job

For the reasons you describe, where do you go with torque settings when going away from the standard bolts. ARP, fine, they clearly provide torque methods and figures. Using Cap heads and torquing to the standard figures, i dodnt see being an issue, as long as the cyclic load does not excede the 'standard' values, which defeats the point of the higher grade bolts, higher torque values obviously required, but then how does that effect the thread engagement in the cast iron?

Studs are a whole other ball game from what i have read

Edited by Sprocket on 29th Feb, 2008.

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

fastcarl

6962 Posts
Member #: 507
Fastest A Series Mini in the World

leeds/wakefield.

i only ever pulled the bolts down to the standard setting, no props,

WWW.FORCE-RACING.CO.UK PLEASE CLICK HERE

Saint

22 Posts
Member #: 1909

Cracow, PL

Sorry to dig out the old thread. Does anyone have product number for those longer ARP main bolts?Or is it just 743-3500 and 743-3750 (Cro-Mo 5 pack with washers) ?
Cheers

Edited by Saint on 2nd Jan, 2009.

bigmini998

115 Posts
Member #: 2830
Advanced Member

Costa del Northern Ireland :)

Well surprise surprise just checked my main strap bolts......... 3 stripe think i will get on the blower tomorrow to rob walker :)

That mini is determined to Kill me!!!!

Mikes1098

152 Posts
Member #: 2190
Advanced Member

South Carolina, USA

Not sure what you are looking for when you say "longer"

the ARP part number for:
7/16"-20 x 3.25 12pt is 743-3250
7/16"-20 x 3.50 12pt is 743-3500
7/16"-20 x 3.75 12pt is 743-3750
7/16"-20 x 4.00 12pt is 743-4000

There are a bunch of different washers to choose from so I just scanned in the page.

Saint

22 Posts
Member #: 1909

Cracow, PL

My bad.I was thinking of 3.5" under head length for my 1" main strap. I'll just order the five-pack You mentioned.
Thanks Mike

Edited by Saint on 6th Jan, 2009.

Mr Mini

184 Posts
Member #: 346
Advanced Member

Portsmouth

On 6th Jan, 2009 Mikes1098 said:

the ARP part number for:
7/16"-20 x 3.25 12pt is 743-3250
7/16"-20 x 3.50 12pt is 743-3500
7/16"-20 x 3.75 12pt is 743-3750
7/16"-20 x 4.00 12pt is 743-4000

Hi,

Im trying to get hold of some ARP bolts for the 4 bolt centre main conversion. I have been in contact with Kent Cams, but they cant find what im after. Im sure there is an ARP 4 bolt mains bolt kit available?

Has anyone bought this, and if so would you happen to have a part number to hand?? Also any other info you may have that will put me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris.

1310cc TWINK - T Conversion

miniminor63

1849 Posts
Member #: 672
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

APT in the US. But remember to state which thread type you have on the outer holes in the block

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

There are no "bolt" kits available that I am aware of, having recently tried to source some.

Aptfast.com sell a mains stud kit with an add-on pair of studs for the 4 bolt main. Beware that the extra two studs are UNC, so if your block is tapped UNF, as it should be, then they will not fit.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Mr Mini

184 Posts
Advanced Member

Portsmouth

Hi,

http://www.aptfast.com/

(all pages viewed are aptfast.com - cant be more specific sorry!)

Is this the UNC bolt your referring to?
MCS 1: 'Extra 2x Studs With Nuts/Washers UK 4- Bolt M/cap (7/16")' because they also have this MCS 2: 'Extra 2x Studs With Nuts/Washers APT 4-Bolt M/cap (3/8")'. Is it the 7/16' or 3/8' (I have an MG Metro Block).

If they are both UNC then thats a right pig as iv already partially built the engine, and any retapping now will make it all messy again :/ What would you advise?

And I dont want to stick with the bolts supplied with the 4 bolt centre main as they are grade 5 :/

Are blocks UNF in standard then?

Is it worthwhile installing these aswell do you think?

MSA 54 'Main Stud Kit 1275 A Series (Converts from bolts)' turning them into stud and bolts.

Thanks,
Chris.

Edited by Mr Mini on 20th Jan, 2009.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The MCS 1 is the problem.

Your mains should be tapped 7/16" UNF

I'm using 2" long 7/16" UNF cap head screws for the outers and 1/3 of MSA54 for the inners.

See my post in the "for sale" section. Unfortunatley I've now sold all my spares.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Mr Mini

184 Posts
Advanced Member

Portsmouth

On 20th Jan, 2009 Paul S said:
The MCS 1 is the problem.

Your mains should be tapped 7/16" UNF

I'm using 2" long 7/16" UNF cap head screws for the outers and 1/3 of MSA54 for the inners.

See my post in the "for sale" section. Unfortunatley I've now sold all my spares.

Hi Paul,

Where did you source the 2' 7/16' UNFs if you dont mind me asking? Also the MSA54 - when you say inners are you referring to the 2 longer bolts for the 4 bolt main?

Im getting confused here because in the yellow book it states MSA54s are a mains stud kit - but if your using these wouldnt they be too short for the longer studs of the centre main?

Also have you ever used the MSA54 for the 2 outer caps or do you think simply 6 stripe bolts from minispares are adequate for the job?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I got the cap heads from a local fastener place, try Yellow Pages.

The studs in MSA54 are long enough for the 4 bolt main cap. It not as if it is anything like as thick as the standard cap with a strap.

I've bought std mains bolts for the other caps and, to be honest, they are probably perfectly adequate for the inner centre bolts.

t3gav

2395 Posts
Member #: 229
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

Only just read this thread, will go check our kits now...

t3gav

2395 Posts
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

Just an update, i've ammended all our kits to contain the grade 8 bolts now.

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

good stuff

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

just to check gavin ,if i get the ms strap for a 1098 , it comes with grade 8 bolts for sure ?
thanks
robert.

On 15th Apr, 2009 gavin@minispares.com said:
Just an update, i've ammended all our kits to contain the grade 8 bolts now.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

t3gav

2395 Posts
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

Yes they will do, however i'm just waiting for the bolts to arrive.

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

ahh i see , thanks for the heads up ,any idea on delivery ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

t3gav

2395 Posts
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

PM sent

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

well i got a strap ,thank you gav ,and i opted to get it without the bolts, cos im impatient and want to get this engine together ,so thought ,hey i'll get some bolts ,no problemo....

hmm

well so far ive searched for about 15 years ( allowing for the most marginal exaggeration)on the various catalogs and sites for a 7/16 unf 3.25 inch bolt..nuffin ..

so pm'd carl and colin to see what they did /have ,no reply so guess they are away ,rod replied ,thank you rod ,to say he got some from carl,but i realized carls are too long anyway..
hmm
ill try callling ians connection on tuesday ,see what they can do ..
just sharing this in case anyone else is in the same boatski.

Edited by robert on 24th May, 2009.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

robert,

try TD, he had some nice bolts for centremain straps on the bay the other week

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

I just looked at the centre main strap I got from minispares north a couple of months ago and it has three stripe bolts in the pack. I'll have to give them a call on Monday.

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > High Tensile, mains bolts
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: