Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > High Tensile, mains bolts

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 24th May, 2009 robert said:
well i got a strap ,thank you gav ,and i opted to get it without the bolts, cos im impatient and want to get this engine together ,so thought ,hey i'll get some bolts ,no problemo....

hmm

well so far ive searched for about 15 years ( allowing for the most marginal exaggeration)on the various catalogs and sites for a 7/16 unf 3.25 inch bolt..nuffin ..

so pm'd carl and colin to see what they did /have ,no reply so guess they are away ,rod replied ,thank you rod ,to say he got some from carl,but i realized carls are too long anyway..
hmm
ill try callling ians connection on tuesday ,see what they can do ..
just sharing this in case anyone else is in the same boatski.

I did reply to this lol *happy*

How did you resolve this in the end Robert?

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

i got my cms kit this month from minispares and got a 3dash and a 6dash in the same sealed packet *happy* one is 6mm longer that the other aswell *hehe!*
ive got some on the way from carl

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

put it together without a strap in the end colin .:$ totally failed . but she'll have a strict 6k rev limit , on a 1098 .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

adcyork

539 Posts
Member #: 6807
Post Whore

York

On 15th Apr, 2009 gavin@minispares.com said:
Just an update, i've ammended all our kits to contain the grade 8 bolts now.

Have you ever heard of one of your straps failing when using the grade 5 bolts? I wasn't happy with using the bolts in the kit when i bought it from you a few months back, so i made some enquiries and rich at ms north said he'd never heard of or seen a failure of one of the CMS kits you sell. Is this correct?

Just as a matter of interest, who on here has fitted the CMS kit with the supplied grade 5 bolts? And has anyone had any issues?

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I think its only a matter of time, they just don't fail the instant you start using the engine.

Look at this way, if you are deciding to fit a strap, the engine is likely to be stressed more than standard. using a grade 5 bolt, in this aplication is a backwards step since the standard bolts are a grade 8. It follows suit that if you increase the stress in an engine, that you should at least increase the quality of the bolts that hold it all together, and likely to hold it all together for longer than the bolts will be in use. Take for instance the big end bolts. Would you use a lesser grade bolt in that aplication? Not me!

Other things to consider, is how long the bolt is used for. Austin Rover group specified a bolt that would last longer than the life of the engine, without failure. The old 'Textbook Of Good Practice, page 1' says that critical bolts should be replaced when an engine is rebuilt. Perhaps these tuning companies are using this theory when they decide to use a lesser grade bolt than the factory application, such that a highly stressed engine is going to have a rebuild long before fatigue life of the bolt, when new ones will be fitted.

That at least is what I would like to think these companies were considering when specifying a grade 5 instead of a grade 8. This has one major flaw.

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

adcyork

539 Posts
Member #: 6807
Post Whore

York

Yea i'm of the same thinking sprocket, totally agree. I only ask as i have just recently finished a build using the aformentioned strap and it did bother me when i noticed the grade 5 bolts.
I enquired with local stockists for some grade 8 or higher bolts at the time which was unfruitful.

So in a hope to aleviate my worries i contacted MS and i was told they had heard of no failures on customers cars or their own cars so the strap ended up being fitted. The engine is now in the car but has not been run yet so i'm in a bit of a dilema again now as to what to do...

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

In addition, if you fit a lower grade bolt (with a lower UTS) and torque it to the setting specified for the higher grade bolt, it will be taken to a much higher percentage of yield strength - and that's before any service loads are applied.
Depending on what percentage of yield the designer chose for the high grade bolt, the lower grade may even begin to yield just by being torqued up.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I respect the guys at Minispares, as they clearly deal with Minis day in day out and for some, most likely at the weekends and evenings too. But, to sell a lesser grade bolt than the factory production item, and then turn round and say its ok because we have not 'heard' of any failures of these bolts, is a little careless In My Opinion. Which is why I supose Gavin took the initiative and hopefully sorted the issue out, but going from what I read in this topic recently, is not quite the case.

clubbie70

190 Posts
Member #: 8935
Advanced Member

netherlands

rather new here...

So correct me if i am wrong. When i'm using the 2 bolt mainstrap, i will need (4x) 7/16-20 (743-2750) and 2x 7/16-20 (743-3500)

thanx

t3gav

2395 Posts
Member #: 229
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

Sorry only just read your post Sprocket, i pulled all the cms's off the shelf and had all the bolts changed to grade 8 a while back. Brett i can only assume one has slipped through, if you pm me your address i'll get you some bolts in the post.

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

pm'd

Instagram @jdm_brett

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 1st Jul, 2010 gavin@minispares.com said:
Sorry only just read your post Sprocket, i pulled all the cms's off the shelf and had all the bolts changed to grade 8 a while back. Brett i can only assume one has slipped through, if you pm me your address i'll get you some bolts in the post.

Mistakes happen Gavin and I have no problem with that when things are done to sort it, and I still hold Minispares with respect, more so that from this topic, things got changed for the better, if not just to make things right :)

What about selling the difficult to find 1/2" hex bit socket that matches the MiniSpares extra long crankshaft pulley bolt. Minispares sell the bolt, but not the tool to tighten the bolt. Its not much of an off the shelf item from the high street stockists such as Machine mart or Halfords, and its an order in job at Cromwells Buck and Hickman and many other Tool stockists you might care to mention.

Now that Turbo Minis has helped make a change, how far can we go? *happy*

clubbie70

190 Posts
Advanced Member

netherlands

rather new here...

So correct me if i am wrong. When i'm using the 2 bolt mainstrap, will i need (4x) 7/16-20 (743-2750) and 2x 7/16-20 (743-3500) ????

thanx

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

you need 4 standard bolts for the 1st and 3rd bearing cap and the longer ones for the centre cap, they need to be the same length as the standard PLUS the thicknes of the strap if you buy a strap kit from minispares, everything needed comes,
and as gavin says they are all sorted out and the stronger bolts are now supplied

Instagram @jdm_brett

clubbie70

190 Posts
Advanced Member

netherlands

Ok thanx. I will order a new strap (and 4 new bolts For the 1st and the 3th at spares. Is it wise to mount the new bolts with ARP hardend washers ????
thanx

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

on the centre strap?.. yes, im using washers, for the other 2 just use as standard

Instagram @jdm_brett

t3gav

2395 Posts
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

On 1st Jul, 2010 Sprocket said:

On 1st Jul, 2010 gavin@minispares.com said:

What about selling the difficult to find 1/2" hex bit socket that matches the MiniSpares extra long crankshaft pulley bolt. Minispares sell the bolt, but not the tool to tighten the bolt. Its not much of an off the shelf item from the high street stockists such as Machine mart or Halfords, and its an order in job at Cromwells Buck and Hickman and many other Tool stockists you might care to mention.

Now that Turbo Minis has helped make a change, how far can we go? *happy*

Funnily enough this is on my to-do list :) TM asked for better clutch arms so i had them made...

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

From the looks of it Gav, you've not made any of the changes we suggested for the website *tongue*

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

On 1st Jul, 2010 Sprocket said:

What about selling the difficult to find 1/2" hex bit socket that matches the MiniSpares extra long crankshaft pulley bolt. Minispares sell the bolt, but not the tool to tighten the bolt.

Everyone knows that I'm a Minispares advocate, but have you guys seen this bolt? I bought two to fit on my race engines, but I only dare to use them when timing the camshaft in.

Gavin, take all the stocks of this bolt and send it back to the manufacturer. The threads are as slick as a Rhino's back.

I had to...dare I say it.... buy some from MED.

BTW Sproxy, this is sufficient to make three of those sockets...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-2-A-F-HEXAGON-ALLE...=item3a5c5c4c47

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

t3gav

2395 Posts
Gavin@minispares.com

kent

On 2nd Jul, 2010 apbellamy said:
From the looks of it Gav, you've not made any of the changes we suggested for the website *tongue*

Look again, now when you select 50 items per page it remembers this setting so you don't have to do it again. There is also a fast part entry (can be found here http://www.minispares.com/Basket.aspx?fs=true) found on the left hand side as well as a few other features which were asked for.

I'll look into the bolts V :)

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

Carl, still got some of those bolts? I need a couple for the last engine build ever with a strap *wink*

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

WTF!!

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/index...howtopic=172522

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

*oh well*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I supose they knew about this long before anyone else and sold the 'correct' grade bolts before everyone else and it is their moral rights that are beeing abused?

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

funny mra pushing that info

a few years back they were selling stainless 'towing eyes' with were actually just boat deck fittings, and would have in no way been fit/safe for the forces involved in towing

interesting eh

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > High Tensile, mains bolts
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: