Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Inlet Manifold Design

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

hmmm i see... looks like side by side on the top axel maybe at a 10 ish degre angle to each other ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

I'm now on version 11 of this!

The attached is the latest.

I'm still not going to put the injectors side by side because it may favour one particular cylinder when only one of the injectors is in use.

The other obvious question is why the two bends, rather than a straight pipe? Well, I want the maximum length of runner and although I could push the plenum further back, it will create problems with the throttle body and the clutch cylinder.

The two injectors are very much the same distance from the valve and as close as possible. The upright injector is firing across the air flow to some extent but not as bad as the previous design.

I've put some spare injectors bosses on the back of the runner, so we can try different setups.

Attachments:

Edited by Paul S on 18th May, 2007.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

RogerM

2514 Posts
Member #: 1217
I like nice quiet girly Minis

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

That looks interesting however I'd be tempted to look at putting the upper, currently unused, bosses at a slight angle in such a way as the spray patterns from a pair of injectors would, under static conditions, intersect somewhere in the middle of the runner.
I'd prefer that position to the upright one.

Would that clear the plenum?

Really should start thinking about this more myself.

Every day is a school day ...........

How fast and how expensive ...... the same question...

On 27th of Sep, 2007 at 12:45pm Jimster said:

why do you you think I got a girlfriend with small hands?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I've started cutting metal, so any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

If you could get injectors with a spray pattern similar to the injector on the right at http://www.mmcompsys.com/download_zone/4_f...co_spray_01.pdf
for the injectors at the top, it would make things much better. Actually, the same would be true for the unused boss at the back.

Other than that, I think you'll have to find out how it works. However, I think you're heading in the right direction with this setup.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

RogerM

2514 Posts

Good link Jean...

Really interested in how well all this works Axel .... I think you'll get a good result with this, especially if you can use the back bosses rather than the upright ones.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thanks for the comments.

I'll see if I can get the bosses at the back closer and at better angles, then I wont need the upright ones.

I'm cutting flanges today and given the poor weather, I'll probably start cutting the bosses and runners tomorrow as I've got next week off.

If the weather stays bad all week, I should get it done.

Small compensation for not going hill walking in the Auvergne, but the weathers bad over there as well.

Edited by Paul S on 27th May, 2007.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Right, Version 12 signed off for manufacture.

Attachments:

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

That looks great! I'm looking forward to see how this will work.

This version has really good aim for both injectors and the difference in distance is minimal. That should give great results and be much more straightforward for tuning when going from unstaged to staged injectors.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 27th of May, 2007 at 04:11pm jbelanger said:
That looks great! I'm looking forward to see how this will work.

This version has really good aim for both injectors and the difference in distance is minimal. That should give great results and be much more straightforward for tuning when going from unstaged to staged injectors.

Jean

I'm glad you said that because I've cut the flanges and runners this afternoon!

Turn up the bosses tomorrow.

I should be sunning myself somewhere but we are getting bad weather here, so I might as well get on with it.

RogerM

2514 Posts

Axel ...... not a critism just a question ... is there room for a double fuel rail back there?

The Pico style injectors probably help by being smaller but if you can get those in then fair play mate ....

Looking good, as Jean says should be quite simple to get running

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 28th of May, 2007 at 11:59am RogerM said:
Axel ...... not a critism just a question ... is there room for a double fuel rail back there?

Just, there is about 10mm clearance with the bulkhead, but the turbo should stop it moving that far back.

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

you could allways run a pipe to each inj like this axel .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I'm going to machine some of this aeromotive fuel rail:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/Pro...&pcode=PSI14107

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

That's a lot of wonga!

Search for Ross fabrication or the like on ebay USA. I think you'll save a bit over Demon Theives pricing (especially after VAT and delivery!

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

And it is too big! 5/8" ID.

After further deliberation I'm going to make something up from some stainless tube and machine some bosses and weld them on.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

A bit of progress:

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Out of interest how high did you set the tig to to weld that?

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 29th of May, 2007 at 05:32pm mini13 said:
Out of interest how high did you set the tig to to weld that?

About 90 amps.

Using a 1.5mm tungsten and a 5mm cup.

The welding is not great but it's getting better. The one of the left is much better.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Thanks,

I have convinced myself my welder hasn't goot as much oomph as it did when i first got it, as i'm about to do some stainless welding this should give me a reference.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

A bit more done today:

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Silly question 1 - is this going to fit????

Silly Question 2 - how about a thinner wall for the 6" tube? That can't be light LOL!

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I think the angle of the shot exagerates the size of the plenum.

It will fit. I've just checked again, but it's no higher and further back than a standard air filter.

It's not 6", its 4" diameter and 2mm thick. I could source 1.5mm thick tube but the weight difference would be insignificant in my road car.

Given that it may, at some point in its life, have to handle 30psi boost, would any thinner be thick enough?

Edited by Paul S on 30th May, 2007.

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

neat hole cutting and fab axel , um do you think that maybe no 1 inlet will get a bit of velocity induced lower input than no 2 ,with 1 being so close to the feed pipe ? just a thought,a cone inlet woiuld help .

well done cracking on in a fine manner .

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 30th of May, 2007 at 07:16pm robert said:
neat hole cutting and fab axel , um do you think that maybe no 1 inlet will get a bit of velocity induced lower input than no 2 ,with 1 being so close to the feed pipe ? just a thought,a cone inlet woiuld help .

Yes, it's not ideal, but space is a problem. Given that I need to get the inlet pipe between the rocker cover and servo, I've had to cut down the distance from the end plate to the runner.

There is just enough space to get a 2" 90deg bend on the end, no room for a cone.

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Inlet Manifold Design
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: