Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > Reading Turbine Maps

1972-ANGUS

493 Posts
Member #: 3894

sallys gap. garden of Ireland

I see what you mean jb.
But if you read the turbine as creating such a restriction (as apposed to being read from the diagram, that it has reached max efficency of 65%) then it would become inefficent, over heat the charge due to its overboost. This would prove the turbo too small, not achieving the 15psi boost set at the wastegate. (granted extreme case!)
So with a bigger A/R it would be more efficent, preventing this situ! But, would need more exaust gases to spool up to the PR of 2.
Dumping gases at a certain pressure, say that created at 4000rpm and the 10.1 means turbo has a max boost per application, paul suggests 15psi for argument. However, i assume that on this turbo the actuator is set at 15psi for other reasons, and this turbo can flow more.
It would prob suggest then that to control boost from the waste gate means that the chosen turbo would be too small??

However, in paul's senario, i think the gas flow from the engine is a factor, but compliments the curve of the chosen turbo?? The turbo with the stats above, has taken till 4000rpm to reach max efficency (read spooled up). Resulting in a good match at high rpm and a peaked power curve id imagine, but with more psi available???

Please dont kill me, im just trying to understand all this too!!
Darn you all, now my brain hurts!!

regards
colin

1972-ANGUS

493 Posts
Member #: 3894

sallys gap. garden of Ireland

Does this mean both?

On 11th Oct, 2007 Paul S said:
Q2. Is the pressure ratio across the turbine or the compressor.

Pressure Ratio (Pi c ) is defined as the Absolute outlet pressure divided by the Absolute inlet pressure.

Pi c = P 2c/P1c

if

pi c = Pressure Ratio
P2c = Compressor
Discharge Pressure
P1c = Compressor Inlet Pressure

Just expanding my mind, dont mind me, sorry

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 24th Mar, 2009 t2clubby said:
But surely running rich would increase the initial flow figure due to the fuel content? Maybe enough to ofset the cooling effect?

A rich mix could increase that 10.1 by almost another 1lb/min surely...?

Yes, the mass flow would be slightly higher, but the temperature would be much lower giving less energy to drive the turbine.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 24th Mar, 2009 jbelanger said:
First let me say I know nothing about turbine maps. But if I look at the curve shown and using Paul's numbers, does that mean that the turbine becomes a significant restriction at 4000RPM and that either the wastegate has to start opening or the backpressure will increase?

Does it also mean that the wastegate should be opened above 4000RPM if backpressure increases regardless of the intake pressure because the turbine won't flow more anyways? If so, then would it make sense to control the wastegate from both the intake and exhaust pressure?

I'm sorry if I'm completely off track but I'm just trying to make sense of this.

Jean

Let's assume for now that boost equals back pressure.

The wastegate will start to open at 15 psi if the actuator was set to control boost at 15 psi. It will then maintain 15 psi boost as the revs increase by opening the wastegate further. It is effectively a closed loop control system.

It is usual for exhaust pressure to be slighly higher than intake pressure but not by a lot.

Some people suffer from boost creep, this happens when the wastegate gets to fully open before the engine has reached its limit. The boost then goes up as the turbine speeds up due to the higher pressure in the exhaust manifold. Then you need to fit an external wastegate.

The thing to remember with the turbine curve from ^^^^^ is that it is a gross simplification of a turbine performance. If they drew it properly, stretched the vertical axis, tightened the horizontal axis and added iso-efficiency lines then it would look similar to a compressor curve.

Although they show the "corrected" flow flattening out at higher pressure ratios. The actual flow that the turbine needs to generate the power to drive the compressor at a given speed could be less at higher pressure ratios as the turbine gets its power from the pressure rather than the flow.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Sorted:

The lines on the chart are:

Corr. The Garrett published corrected air flow
750 - Calculated air flow at 750 Degrees C and PR
850 - Asabove but at 850 Degrees C
3000, 3500, 4000 & 4500 - Calculated engine air flow at given speed and PR.

An allowance has been made for the extra mass of the fuel.

It tells me that, assuming the exhaust gas temps are in the range of 750-850 Degrees C that the engine should see 0.5 Bar boost at 3000rpm, 1.0 Bar boost at 3500 rpm and 1.5 Bar boost by 3750rpm ish.

Kean

2406 Posts
Member #: 341
aka T2clubby

South Staffs

Excellent!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 25th Mar, 2009 t2clubby said:
Excellent!

Thanks for the prompt. I've been meaning to sort this out.

Home > Technical Chat > Reading Turbine Maps
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: