Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > MS Trials & Testing > Dual Wideband Datalog

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Latest log attached.

Same spec.

10 degrees, 975 mBar, 68% humidity.

Even with the grounds all at the same point, similar results.

The four stages of WOT on the graph are as follows:

1 & 2 as above.
3 got it into top gear.
4 round a corner and back into third.

Only difference this time was 15 stone of Sturgeo on board.

But I forgot to top up the dashpot, not that it makes much difference.

Attachments:

Edited by Paul S on 2nd Dec, 2007.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

I think that part of the AFR difference may be related to wall wetting. Most of the fuel evaporating from the manifold wall will go to the inner cylinders because of charge stealing. At low RPM, there is more time for fuel to evaporate so the AFR difference will be bigger as shown in the log. At higher RPM, the difference becomes less because there's less wall wetting.

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

It could also be due to the inner cylinders getting more fuel at low rpm due to the charge stealing.

Then at high rpm, the outers get richer due to the inertia of the fuel round the bend of the manifold.

The AFRs do get closer later on in the log, maybe due to the engine getting hotter. I'll do another extract.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

This is the last bit of full throttle and the engine should have been well and trully cooking.

However, not much change.

There seems to be a fairly consistant offset to the readings which makes me suspect the validity of the data from the LC-1.

I'm waiting for some serial leads to hook the LC-1 up in an MTS chain so that I can log raw AFR data rather than converting it to volts and then back again. Something may be incorrect in the conversion.

I'll also get the sensors out and do a free air calibration next weekend, then run another log. As long as my knuckles have recovered!

Attachments:

bill shurvinton

62 Posts
Member #: 1515
Advanced Member

Ignore my last email then as you had worked that out :)

Intercylinder numbers certainly look believable and are close to others I have seen from an A series

bill shurvinton

62 Posts
Advanced Member

On 1st of Dec, 2007 at 02:50pm mini13 said:
also, on the subject of datalogging...

has anyone seen this lcd touchscreen display for megasquit? it will aparantly datalog onto a USB flash drive before too long. Also the gauges will display as graphs so wo can see what has just happened a bit like a mini datalog.

http://lcdash.wikispaces.com/

Yeah. know where there is one for sale that has been nicely packaged up. Being brutally honest, unless you want the bling, a palm pilot is just as good and almost free.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Charge stealing with a carb shouldn't happen. It does happen due to either wall wetting or fuel inertia. And these 2 effects will affect the AFR difference in different directions.

Having said that, it does seem like you have some sort of offset and the only way to know for sure will be to switch things around.

http://www.jbperf.com/

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

could you not set the lc1 up to say put out exactly 2.5v no matter what the AFR is, and then see what logworks records through the aux-box? i.e.e see that it is actually 2.5v?

p.s. even though iv no interest in the a-series any more, its still a very interesting subject! cheers for sharing info!

edit again::
for the free air calibration could you not jsut go out to the car the morning after the night before, and withhout cranking or anything fire up the 2 lambda's and run a free air calibration? i do mine in place, but cause i have injection i run the engien up to the red line, go full throttle and shut it off, pumping air into the exhaust, i then let it sit for an hour or so and then calibrate :) not ideal but saves me getting my hands dirty *tongue*

Edited by evolotion on 2nd Dec, 2007.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I have a gauge on the LC-1 as well as feeding 0-5v into the Aux Box.

The outputs are 2v at 8:1 and 5v at 20:1, so multiply the volts by 4 to get the AFR.

When the gauge is showing 16:1 then the logworks is showing 4v, so everything looks right.

I could do a calibration without removing the sensors, but I'm inclined to swap the LC-1 and LM-1 around and do a calibration at the same time. Then we will know for sure if the offest is correct or instrument error.

I might appear to be getting too hung up on detail, but these instruments are going to be relied upon very heavily in setting up the EFI, so need to be just right.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

damn right paul good attitude!

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

What is the customer support for the innovative products like? Isn't this something they should be assisting with?

Is there any way of running both sensors in the aux box - or maybe a third sensor that is - so you have one main output for the main display, and a visual for the two others?

Alternativly - is it possible that the slope of the curve of the output is not constant between the two? I guess swapping them over will reveaql this for sure.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 3rd of Dec, 2007 at 01:46pm TurboDave said:
What is the customer support for the innovative products like? Isn't this something they should be assisting with?

There is a well attended forum on the Innovate site, but the readings may be right. It's just my confidence in the readings is low at the moment.

Is there any way of running both sensors in the aux box - or maybe a third sensor that is - so you have one main output for the main display, and a visual for the two others?.

The aux box is an extension of the LM-1. The LM-1 is the controller for the sensor and will not work without the sensor directly connected. I could feed the 0-5v output from the LM-1 back into the Aux Box but no point really.

Alternativly - is it possible that the slope of the curve of the output is not constant between the two? I guess swapping them over will reveaql this for sure.

I suspect that if there is a problem, it will be something to do with the conversion of the data.

The LC-1 measures Lambda, calculates AFR, then converts it to a voltage signal. Then I convert it back to AFR by using a simple multiplier in Excel. Maybe this is wrong.

When the serial cables finally arrive, I will be able to log the LC-1 output without the Aux Box and any calcs. If there is something wrong in the conversion, that will eliminate that.

My money is on simple instrument error, possible due to calibration. The next test will clarify that.

Edited by Paul S on 3rd Dec, 2007.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Paul,

How about an overview of how you use the LM1 and LC1 together?

I've not understood - and can't easilly find - what it is that is actually recording the data. Is it done inside of the LM1?

If so - How does the LM1 interpret between the two channels as far as the display and output is concerned?

And what of the other sensors - what is the actual need of the aux box at this time as I thought you could tap the extra sensors into the LM1 as it was (it lists "Up to 6 Channels of data logging" on the website for the LM1).
Or is it needed to get the extra LC1 input into the LM1?

(as you can tell - I'm a little confused - and am even more so having been on their site and forum for a half-hour LOL)!

Incidentally...
When i spoke with innovative a loooong time ago regarding this kind of stuff for the A-series, they said the best way to go was the DL32 and two LC1's as this had the best sampling rate and bought all data in at the same time. I never looked much further into this though as the AEM sensors appeared at a great price, and I figured i could log the outputs from these if i so needed.

Looks like they do now do a kit for the DL32 and a few sensors - aimed at v8 guys for a sensor in each 'bank'

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/p...41&cat=0&page=1

As regards the sampling rate - what is the sample rate of the raw data out of the LM1? I know it says 12bits / sec on the site - but I'm guessing the raw data has a significnatly higher resolution???

oops, sorry for the tons of questions! My bad! :)

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 3rd of Dec, 2007 at 08:10pm TurboDave said:
Paul,

How about an overview of how you use the LM1 and LC1 together?

I've not understood - and can't easilly find - what it is that is actually recording the data. Is it done inside of the LM1?

If so - How does the LM1 interpret between the two channels as far as the display and output is concerned?

And what of the other sensors - what is the actual need of the aux box at this time as I thought you could tap the extra sensors into the LM1 as it was (it lists "Up to 6 Channels of data logging" on the website for the LM1).
Or is it needed to get the extra LC1 input into the LM1?

The LC-1 is a controller for a wideband sensor with two analogue outputs and serial ports for daisychaining ala RS485.

The LM-1 is also a controller but is portable and has a display.

The LM-1 can also log an additional 5 channels of data. However these need to be in a 0-5v signal.

The Aux Box is a convenient way of creating the 0-5v signals. So I've connected a tach signal to read RPM and it has an on-board MAP sensor. These are then converted to 0-5v signals by the Aux Box which is connected to the LM-1.

So that I can also log the LC-1 data, I've connected one of the analogue ouputs to one of the Aux Box channels.

The laptop connects to the LM-1 serial port and then reads all the data from one point.

The LM-1 can do the recording itself and is then downloaded.

Incidentally...
When i spoke with innovative a loooong time ago regarding this kind of stuff for the A-series, they said the best way to go was the DL32 and two LC1's as this had the best sampling rate and bought all data in at the same time. I never looked much further into this though as the AEM sensors appeared at a great price, and I figured i could log the outputs from these if i so needed.

Looks like they do now do a kit for the DL32 and a few sensors - aimed at v8 guys for a sensor in each 'bank'

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/p...41&cat=0&page=1

Eventually I will just want the single LC-1 fitted to the car. It seemed a bit expensive to buy an additional LC-1 and a DL32 to use once.

Not much change from £500 for the DL32 and additional LC-1. I've spent a small fortune as it is.

The LM-1, being portable can easily be switched between cars. For example, I used it to set up Sturgeo's car when we fitted a 12G295, HIF38, LCB etc. Within two hours we had the mixture spot on and no need for a rolling road. I'm doing the same job on Axel's 30 soon so the LM-1 will have a lot of use.

The LC-1 is only really suitable for a permanent install. 6 core cable, calibration switch, LED etc. Whereas the LM-1 only has a power lead with a ciggie lighter plug and the sensor.

As regards the sampling rate - what is the sample rate of the raw data out of the LM1? I know it says 12bits / sec on the site - but I'm guessing the raw data has a significnatly higher resolution???

It reads and logs the data at 12 times a second rather than 12 bits/sec.

Edited by Paul S on 3rd Dec, 2007.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Great and simple answers. Cheers. :)

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Would you agree that it is reasonable to expect that the LC-1 and LM-1 should give comparable readings?

We shall soon see!

bill shurvinton

62 Posts
Advanced Member

[biased bit] As an innovate dealer I like to think I support everything I have supplied, and will happily test check and recalibrate any innovate product FOC [/biased bit]

Internally the LC-1 and LM-1 are very very similar, so if calibrated to their respective sensors should give exactly the same output. As you can daisy chain them at a serial level you can avoid any question of grounding issues and view the output using logworks on a laptop. This is a very easy way of seeing if the difference is real or not. A differnce of 2 on the AFR is 0.5V which is quite a lot of ground offset, but not impossible.

I wish I had time to code, as then I would do a palm pilot port for the innovate (techedge has that). which would make logging a whole heap easier.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Interesting stuff Paul, watching with interest!

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 3rd of Dec, 2007 at 10:42pm bill shurvinton said:

[biased bit] As an innovate dealer I like to think I support everything I have supplied, and will happily test check and recalibrate any innovate product FOC [/biased bit]

I did not know that you were an Innovate dealer. You missed out on some extra business.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Well, I just found out that the log output on the AEM gauges suck big time.... So my plan to simply log the outputs from these on my maxQ unit is not going to be of any use.

Incidentally - it seems the guages (52mm display) themselves are accurate - it's just the output is not representative of what is on the 52mm display when you hook it up to an ECU or logger.

So, looks like I might be into some innovative stuff after all. The customer support on the forum is mighty impressive for sure!

I'll wait to see what Paul establishes first however LOL!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The serial leads turned up this morning, so I'll be able to daisychain the whole lot and not rely on the aux box for the LC-1 input. Although I will run them both at the same time to start with just to check the accuracy.

I've been looking at the Megasquirt plug-in for the Innovate Logworks software. It means I can actually log any of the Megasquirt parameters at the same time.

So as well as the AFRs, I can log temperatures, TPS, Injector pulse, ignition advance and others. Now that must be worth doing.

Just need to add another serial port to the laptop. Might get one of those PCMCIA dual serial port jobbies as I'm not sure if you can use two USB/serial converters at the same time.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

The serial port jobbies are definately the way to go.

Cheers for the log file BTW... :)

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

LOL at Daves Sig *laughing*

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

bill shurvinton

62 Posts
Advanced Member

On 4th of Dec, 2007 at 09:32am Paul S said:

On 3rd of Dec, 2007 at 10:42pm bill shurvinton said:

I did not know that you were an Innovate dealer. You missed out on some extra business.

Didn't want to be overly pushy seen as you gave me an awful lot of your hard earned as it was :). Anyway my own fault for not having websites or special MS+WB packages for minis sorted out.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

I just saw across this on minimania.

http://www.minimania.com/web/threadid/8885...3/msgthread.cfm

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/