Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > MS Trials & Testing > Dual Wideband Datalog

alpa

520 Posts
Member #: 2093
Post Whore

Grenoble, France

About ignition amplifiers: I found Bosch dual ignition amplifiers very fragile. I burned out two of them while debugging my ignition code. Now I'm using 2 single channel amplifiers.

AFR:

I also think AFR difference comes from the wall wetting and not "charge stealing".

According to Heywood, wetting is mainly dependent on the wall temperature. For every temperature the film thickness ratio is constant.

The travel speed and evaporation Tau of the fuel film are very slow, so while both valves are closed the film evaporates and also goes closer to the valves. Once open the inner valve gets all the evaporated fuel, which compensates all the newly sucked (from carburator) fuel that is trapped to restore the wall film. The outer valve does not get evaporated extras, while the wall film is still being restored.

This assumption could be easily verified on a very hot MPI engine: with a very thin or even none fuel film all cylinders should run the same AFR. This can not be verified on a single carb engine, in such setups there is always at least 10-20% of fuel traveling on intake walls.

I believe injection must try to maintain the wall wetting level constant. This is why the choice of proper injectors is very important. Today we can buy injectors with plenty of spray shapes. I think (and I bought) MPi needs wide spray injectors, if placed close to the head. Because a tied spray will send most of fuel on both valves and there won't be enough time for the fuel trapped in the inner cavity to reach the outer valve. A wide spray will send more fuel on walls, thus maintaining the wall wetting. And this will behave like in usual engines with a balance between evaporation and film trapping.

May be I'm wrong. In this case I lost $250 I payed for four 450cc EV6.

And I'm still writing my injection code :)

Comment about logs: I think (I may be wrong) your engine isn't properly adjusted. At low MAP your AFR is around 15-16. Which means your idle is certainly lean. I think idle must be slightly rich, especially with carbs. That's why we have so many problems with idle CO level. If you connect a CO meter on any well adjusted engine you'll notice the CO falls as soon as RPM increases. Because combustion is better, so no need to be rich.

Edited by alpa on 7th Dec, 2007.

std 998 A+, g295, MD266, RHF4, 109hp @0.8bar/5400rpm

fortfun

141 Posts
Member #: 954
Advanced Member

Fort Collins Colorado USA

If this data holds up after the instruments are sorted, it is very interesting.
If in fact we are getting lean on outer cylinders even with mild cams, it makes me wonder if this kind of logging would show scatter patterns solving that issue.

1275 with Back Door Turbo

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Is the inlet manifold heated?

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Took another couple of logs this morning.

First calibrated the sensors. Although still fitted to the car, it has not ran for 5 days so should have been reading free air.

No change.

Second log attached was with the sensors daisy chained using the serial ports

LM-1 -> LMA-3 -> LC-1 -> Laptop.

I also retained the 0-5v reading of AFR from the LC-1 for verification purposes.

MAP logged in PSIa this time for some reason, so a slight difference to the graph.

However, results much the same.

This afternoon's job is to swap the sensors over and see what happens.

Attachments:

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

well done paUL .
i wonder if the theory about rpm related inertia causing that change over as the revs rise ,and the charge dashing down the outside ports despite robbing is correct ...

,personally im of the mind that the charge is possibly being thrown to the outside port ,by the manifold design in this instance ,but also that the velocity in the port causes the robbing to become innefective in denuding the outer port because the gas gets there fast enough to fill the void caused by the robbing , so that it is not noticed by the outer cyl .
very interested ot see if swapping the sensors has an effect .
im also wondering about the comments on other fori about the sensor temp affecting readings ,and wonder if your sensors are running at different temps sufficient to create a different reading on the same a/r , im sceptical that this could be true ,because if so we would all be changing readings simply by revving the engine .

i would like to see a steady state high rpm test ,say uphill with the handbrake on !! to compare to the same rpm on a transient reading ,accelerating through that point say 5000 rpm in the same gear ,and see if they read the same .

another good test would be on an injection car to see how it copes ,eg a spi ,to see how the manifold changes all this ,or perhaps a su on a turbo manifold .

Edited by robert on 7th Dec, 2007.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

danboy

715 Posts
Member #: 1381
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Paul, Can you tell me where you fitted both wb sensors in the ex manifold and also what plugs and leads you have fitted.
Regards
Dave

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 7th of Dec, 2007 at 02:01pm danboy said:
Paul, Can you tell me where you fitted both wb sensors in the ex manifold and also what plugs and leads you have fitted.
Regards
Dave

Dave,

This is the location of the sensors, although they are narrowband sensors in the picture.

I'm using Champion RN9YCC plugs with standard Bosch EDIS leads.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

After an hour or so of skinning my knuckles, breaking my back transfering the sensors, nothing appears to have significantly changed.

The latest log is attached. The LC-1 is now on the inner cylinders and the LM-1 is on the outers.

The relationship between the inner and outer cylinders is still the same as the first log, so I'm assuming the readings to be correct.

Robert, I like your ideas but time is of the essence and I can now get on fitting the EFI knowing that the instrumentation is correct.

There is one obvious reason why the outer cylinders are running lean, that I have not checked. Can anyone guess what it is? Clue is in the picture above.

Attachments:

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 7th of Dec, 2007 at 03:37pm Paul S said:
After an hour or so of skinning my knuckles, breaking my back transfering the sensors, nothing appears to have significantly changed.

Well, that is good at least

On 7th of Dec, 2007 at 03:37pm Paul S said:
There is one obvious reason why the outer cylinders are running lean, that I have not checked. Can anyone guess what it is? Clue is in the picture above.

You've got me... I can't see what could be wrong?

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

miniminor63

1849 Posts
Member #: 672
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

exhaust leak?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 7th of Dec, 2007 at 03:55pm miniminor63 said:
exhaust leak?

First prize to miniminor63.

I had a job sealing up the exhaust joints at the weekend. With the slightest leak it read 20:1 at idle.

The is no audible leak now, but it is a possibility that at low revs/load, the inlet vacuum is pulling air in on valve overlap.

However, if that was causing the apparent lean outer cylinders, I would not expect it to do so at 3000-4500 rpm on full throttle.

fortfun

141 Posts
Member #: 954
Advanced Member

Fort Collins Colorado USA

This is terrific work.

What about the manifold heat question Sprocket asked?

I've got mine wrapped up with heat blanket around the exhaust and the intake manifolds, largely because the downdraft Weber inlet manifold features an uphill climb from the plenum bottom to the inlet ports on the head.

If the evaporation off inlet manifold walls speeds up, maybe this goes away.
I seem to recall something in Vizard's book about the stock manifold exhaust head being too much but water heating the manifold improving performance versus no heat. Maybe imagining it, will have to look tonight.

1275 with Back Door Turbo

danboy

715 Posts
Member #: 1381
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

On 7th of Dec, 2007 at 03:21pm Paul S said:

On 7th of Dec, 2007 at 02:01pm danboy said:
Regards
Dave

Dave,

This is the location of the sensors, although they are narrowband sensors in the picture.

I'm using Champion RN9YCC plugs with standard Bosch EDIS leads.

Paul, the reason i asked, regarding the position of the sensors, was that I thought you might have positioned the centre (cyl 2&3) a little lower down the exhaust to try to negate the extra heat from 2 cylinders into one pipe.
I see you are using resistor plugs so that is not the reason for the spikey rpm trace.
regards
Dave

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 7th of Dec, 2007 at 06:09pm fortfun said:
This is terrific work.

What about the manifold heat question Sprocket asked?

I've got mine wrapped up with heat blanket around the exhaust and the intake manifolds, largely because the downdraft Weber inlet manifold features an uphill climb from the plenum bottom to the inlet ports on the head.

If the evaporation off inlet manifold walls speeds up, maybe this goes away.
I seem to recall something in Vizard's book about the stock manifold exhaust head being too much but water heating the manifold improving performance versus no heat. Maybe imagining it, will have to look tonight.

The inlet manifold is unheated.

To test the heat theory out, we drove a lot further in the second run today. A total of about 20 miles.

If anything, the readings got further apart, not closer.

EDIT: Extract from data showing the last bit of full throttle after 21 minutes attached. A quick burst through second and third.

Attachments:

Edited by Paul S on 7th Dec, 2007.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

What sort of wideband sensors are those? they look mega different to the ones I have.

I have found the center cylinders to run almost 100c less than the outers. I too have to swap things around to to find out if its the hardware. I have a suspission its the hardware as I zapped the second EGT chip and had to replace it.

Is the inlet manifold the cast iron jobbie or the ally one and if its the ally one is it heated? The heaing is important as it stablises the manifold temperature.

The SU manifold has many sharp turns in relation to the SPi manifold. The SPi manifold has long straight runners. This shape manifold Vizard shows to flow well also, that is the downdraght webber manifolds, and its almost identical.

Will be interesting to compare the results between the SU manifold and the SPi manifold.

Top Job!!

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

alpa

520 Posts
Member #: 2093
Post Whore

Grenoble, France

Paul,
The fuel evaporation rate increases with lower pressures. Could you try to log stable and transient RPM modes with partially closed throttle, say at 60kPa ?
I'm not sure it would allow a better understanding as evaporation rate is very slow, but may be we would see something interesting.

Thanks for your work.

std 998 A+, g295, MD266, RHF4, 109hp @0.8bar/5400rpm

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 10th of Dec, 2007 at 11:28am alpa said:
Paul,
The fuel evaporation rate increases with lower pressures. Could you try to log stable and transient RPM modes with partially closed throttle, say at 60kPa ?
I'm not sure it would allow a better understanding as evaporation rate is very slow, but may be we would see something interesting.

Thanks for your work.

EDIT: I was talking crap, there was some other data in the spreadsheet from the previous log.

The attached log shows some cruising and transient modes.

Attachments:

Edited by Paul S on 10th Dec, 2007.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Perhaps a rubbish idea, but surely one way to prove the instrumentation would be to fit a second boss to one of the downpipes, and then log a decent length run with both sensors in the same downpipe. Obvioulsy if there is any drift occuring over time or due to temperature this would then show up as differing readings between sensors?

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Home > MS Trials & Testing > Dual Wideband Datalog
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: