Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > MS Trials & Testing > Siamesed Code Trial

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 9th Feb, 2008 Sprocket said:
I would have thought that two 460cc injectors was more than enough to provide fueling for well over 100bhp, I think you are heading in the right direction taking two of the four 460cc injectors you have, out of the equasion

Given that my engine is about 75hp, then two is plenty. I was thinking that getting the pulse width as short as possible by using all four would be advantageous - obviously not.

I think that I'll have to stage the other two in on boost on the 998 turbo, then the extra heat in the charge may stop the pooling/wall wetting.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

i wonder if a really small set of injectors ,but still big enough to provide what you need ,with a bigger pulse width ,may make a difference?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 9th Feb, 2008 robert said:
i wonder if a really small set of injectors ,but still big enough to provide what you need ,with a bigger pulse width ,may make a difference?

As we are trying to ensure that most of one of the pulses goes straight into the outer cylinder, then they have to be on the large sde.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

alpa

520 Posts
Member #: 2093
Post Whore

Grenoble, France

Paul, do you have the same pulse width for both inner and outer ?

I now have a well running engine with a stable transient AFR (around 14:1). Inner pulses are 80% of the outter. Plugs are of the same color. However I can not be sure the true AFR is close to the average.

I tried to move the outter pulse start between 20 BTDC and 10 ATDC and this does not change AFR for high and low MAPs.

Edited by alpa on 10th Feb, 2008.

std 998 A+, g295, MD266, RHF4, 109hp @0.8bar/5400rpm

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The code is only semi-sequential and we have the same pulse width for inner and outer cylinders.

You need to have two widebands to know exactly what is happening.

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Am I right in assuming that you have to have the same pulse width for both as you don't know which one is open when you squirt the fuel in due to a lack of a cam sensor?

EDIT: After reading this thread for the eight time I think I'm starting to understand this injection thing.

Edited by Rob H on 10th Feb, 2008.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 10th Feb, 2008 Rob H said:
Am I right in assuming that you have to have the same pulse width for both as you don't know which one is open when you squirt the fuel in due to a lack of a cam sensor?

Correct, the pulse firing injector no. 1 directly into no. 1 cylinder also fires injector no. 2 in the other port that eventually finds it's way into no. 3 cylinder, 180 degrees later.

Then the next pulse, 360 degrees later, fires injector no. 2 directly into no. 4 cylinder and also fires injector no 1 that eventually finds it's way into no.2 cylinder, 180 degrees later.

And so on ad infinitum.

So you then have the firing order 1,3,4,2.

I think I got that right LOL.

Edited by Paul S on 10th Feb, 2008.

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

can you try firing it into 2 and 3 direct and 1 and 4 in the secondary pos ,the priority going to 2 and 3 ?, i know it sounds topsy turvey , bit if its easy with a few key strokes ,what is there to lose ?
just trying a new theory i thought up !

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 10th Feb, 2008 robert said:
can you try firing it into 2 and 3 direct and 1 and 4 in the secondary pos ,the priority going to 2 and 3 ?, i know it sounds topsy turvey , bit if its easy with a few key strokes ,what is there to lose ?
just trying a new theory i thought up !

No, because if you fire it into an inner cylinder (2/3) the next pulse has to be 180 degrees later to hit the outers (1/4). As the next pulse is 360 degrees later, it would have missed the outers (1/4) all together and all the fuel would go in the inners (2/3).

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

what is there to lose ?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 11th Feb, 2008 robert said:
what is there to lose ?

Nothing, but it does not work. Ive already tried to run it under those conditions. No fuel gets to the outer cylinders.

The injectors fire once every 360 degrees, this is not adjustable unless you go 4 squirts per cycle, then it would be every 180 degrees.

I've tried nearly every setting from 180 degrees BTDC to 180 degrees ATDC. The only range where you get some fuel into the outer cylinders is in the region 50-110 degrees BTDC.

As I have it working now, it is close to getting it right. The car drives better than ever, loads of torque and behaves in traffic. Also revs freely to 6000rpm, which it never did before.

I also have a single narrowband sensor fitted in the LCB Y piece. That sits as happy as larry in the region 0.3 to 0.7. If it wasnt for the two widebands telling me otherwise, I would have thought we had cracked it.

I'm sure the theory behind the code is sound. I know that the code is working as it should. The only question mark is my manifold design and the use of 30 degree cone injectors in a restricted bung.

I'm off to Paris for a week at the weekend, it's my wifes 12th birthday soon, so no more tesing for a while.

When I get back, I have to fix the oil leak and slipping clutch plus device a method to stop the crankcase over-pressurising. I may just put the 998 turbo engine in the car and fit the LCB and carry on testing with that.

Edited by Paul S on 11th Feb, 2008.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Your Wifes 12???

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 11th Feb, 2008 mini13 said:
Your Wifes 12???

That's not what I said!

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

ok you wifes 11??

danboy

715 Posts
Member #: 1381
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

leap year??
regards
dave

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes, born on 29 Feb. So it's a bit special when it comes round.

Taking the Eurostar to Paris for a weeks break.

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

ah fair enough paul i thought it was at the despondant stage still , great that its at the getting there stage ,...
is it worth playing with fuel pressure and so dropping the pulse width , making it longer from pulse end to no3/2 opening ?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Higher fuel pressure may be worth trying. The improved atomisation may reduce the pooling.

At present, I think that a fixed proportion of the squirt is hitting the bung wall, forming droplets and running down the manifold floor.

The droplets from the squirt into the outer cylinders end in in the inner cylinders making them run rich. The same does not happen with the iner cylinder squirt as it has time to get to the cylinder.

All theory, but unless I modify the manifold to prove it or otherwise, then there is no point in any more testing as it stands.

I might just wack the fuel pressure up to 3.5 bar and adjust the "fuel required" to suit and see if it makes an improvement.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 11th Feb, 2008 Paul S said:
At present, I think that a fixed proportion of the squirt is hitting the bung wall, forming droplets and running down the manifold floor.

It's like having a piss without pulling your foreskin back! Some goes in the pan, the rest goes on the floor :)

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

PMSL

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

thats a lot more info than i needed !

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

It's like having a piss without pulling your foreskin back! Some goes in the pan, the rest goes on the floor :)

LMAO *laughing* *laughing* *laughing*

Sigged!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

its a good point about the injector bore, when i did my ones i just did a 13mm hole and tapered the injector end to get the o ring in.

admitedly I've only been following this loosly as i have already solved the port robbing the chickens way LOL, but would having a trigger wheel on the cam only be an option, that will give you the engine phasingwith only one sensor.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Excuse my ignorance again...

If I've understood it right each 360 degrees both ports are fired simultaneously, hitting the closed valve on an inner cylinder and the open valve on the outer cylinder at the opposite end, then vice versa the next 360 degrees.

Therefore is MS just using one of the two available injector drivers to fire both port injectors at once (every 360 degrees at the appropriate point) ???

If so, is it using the second driver for staged injection but still on a 360 degree cycle, or is the second driver spare ???

Sorry it's all questions at the moment.

Rod.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

You are correct.

The large MPi Mini injectors have a theoretical power limit of approx. 90 hp when using this method.

Hence you need four injectors for anything higher. The second pair of injectors are on the second injector driver.

I initially ran all four together from idle upwards but over the weekend found that just two, one per port gave far better results. My theory is that the two sprays just saturate the air and cause pooling.

I plan to stage the second pair in on MAP. If they come in once on boost, the extra heat will help prevent pooling.

Home > MS Trials & Testing > Siamesed Code Trial
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: