Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > MS Trials & Testing > Siamesed Code Trial

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Right,

And I would guess your theory about saturation/pooling is substantiated because the code is deliberately squirting fuel against a closed valve in a port where airflow is essentially static for about another 360 degrees, ie, only the outer cylinders get their fuel squirted into a moving air flow.

I need to think this through a bit more.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

But it is the inners that run rich, hence, they must be getting some of the fuel intended for the outer cylinders.

I think that this is because there is time for the pooling on the inners to get closer to the valve during the static period.

I'm more inclined to think that the pooling is caused by the manifold design.

My comment above, although crude, illustrates the problem.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Unless the outer cylinder's squirt is too long or too late (despite being into a moving airstream) such that some of it doesn't get sucked in and gets left to pool (over the static 360 degrees ) as well as the "dead" squirt. So the pool is bigger than it should be.
Not so much that the pool got closer to the inner valve, just that it was added to by the outer valve not using all it should have done, and the inner valve gets to use the enlarged pool but the outer can only get what's thrown directly at it after the enlarged pool has been swallowed by the inner valve ????

Just thinking aloud...

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Can you change the duration of the squirts independently so that the second set of injectors don't fire for as long as the first set?

First set / pair feed the outer cylinders.

Second set / pair feed the inner cylinders.

Alternatively could you use two different sizes of injectors so that you have a bigger injector feeding the outer cylinders and a smaller one feeding the inner cylinders.

Although I think the later idea is a bit of a bodge.

Edited by Rob H on 11th Feb, 2008.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

But,

If I've understood this right, that comes back to lack of a cam sensor.

You can't feed the inner or outer at one end of the engine without just creating a dead pool at the other end, and the inner cylinder will always get the pool first once that other end of the engine starts sucking....

I'm slowly beginning to understand this (I think).

Instead of 1,3,4,2,
Try (3,4), (2,1), (3,4), (2,1), etc
Then
(3 from pool, 4 from squirt, plus 2&1 getting a nice pool being filled), (2 from pool, 1 from squirt, plus 3&4 getting a nice pool being filled), etc...

That's the way I'm trying to visualise it at the moment.

Rod.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 11th Feb, 2008 Rob H said:
Can you change the duration of the squirts independently so that the second set of injectors don't fire for as long as the first set?

Alternatively could you use two different sizes of injectors so that you have a bigger injector feeding the outer cylinders and a smaller one feeding the inner cylinders.

Rob, that would be the ideal, but you need a fully sequencial ECU for that and they ain't cheap.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

This is why I was asking Jean if he could do somethign simple with a binary input from a hall-effect to easilly make the MS a sequential; at least what is required for the A-series...

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

My thinking (although I'm years behind the rest of you) is similar...
Mine is 2/3 built but I've stopped until I can fully understand how to provide a simple cam input - I was hoping to use the redundant circuitry from the choice you get between hall/optical and VR when you jumper it, but it appears there isn't that much "redundancy".
The MS-2 processor daughterboard seems to have plenty of spare capacity for I/Os but working out how to do the hardware is more of a challenge...

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Actually, connecting a Hall sensor should be as simple as using the redundant Hall/optical circuit present on the MS board and connecting this circuit to the correct CPU pin (using one of the available JS pad). As long as you have a once per engine cycle signal coming from either the camshaft or the dizzy.

Then I need to use this signal to synchronize the injection. It shouldn't be a big deal code-wise (but not trivial) but there is one annoying side effect. There are only 2 injector channels and you will need one per intake port to be able to have different pulse widths for the inner and outer cylinders. This means the loss of the staging option.

I have a workaround for that but it will involve some small "surgery" on the MS2 daughterboard, the loss of PWM for low impedance injectors and the need to use my peak & hold injector driver board to drive low impedance injectors. But with this, the system becomes a fully sequential system with a staging capability (with some more tweaking of the code).

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Jean,

We could retain the staged option if we just use one injector pulse that spans both the inner and outer valve opening. This is how I set it up initially and got reasonable results. As long as the engine started on the correct phase it stayed there and worked well, but that's not a viable long term solution.

This is also how the MPi system works, more or less.

However, I think that the code as it exists is close to achieving what we want. I just need a few more weekends of good weather and a bit of luck to confirm or otherwise.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Hi Jean,

On 11th Feb, 2008 jbelanger said:
Actually, connecting a Hall sensor should be as simple as using the redundant Hall/optical circuit present on the MS board and connecting this circuit to the correct CPU pin (using one of the available JS pad). As long as you have a once per engine cycle signal coming from either the camshaft or the dizzy.

That's what I was thinking at first (a few days ago) and the build manual certainly implies it but when I looked at the schematics, it contradicts the build manual.
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/pcb.htm
Third schematic half way down the page, Note 1 says that the VR circuitry is used for Hall inputs ???
But, I also found this on one of the other support sites,
http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Ignition.htm#2hall
which, although showing how to build a second Hall circuit, clearly shows it using an opto-isolator which is the redundant bit on the V3.0 board if your set up is VR.

So I'm now thinking it must be the notes on the schematic that are wrong ???

Rod.

Edited by Rod S on 12th Feb, 2008.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I'm sure that we just need to jumper OptoOut to JS10 and connect the hall sensor to OptoIn.

This is what Jean is saying ^^^^^^.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I thought so too at first, and the more I look at the schematic, the more I now agree.... and Optoin can be jumpered to one of the spare pins on the DB37

But Note 1 on the schematic is wrong !!! and it had me confused for a while.

I'm going to get some of those PC type jumper blocks from Maplins and put some in the Proto area to try and make all options available without having to use the soldering iron....

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Note 1 is true in the context of the B&G code using the standard MS2 pinout. Nothing related to MS2/extra is included in the main documentation which means that any MS2/related feature and/or CPU pinout may contradict the text. The schematic clearly show the possiblity of using OptoIn and OptoOut in the manner described above.

Jean

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Jean - We know that modern (high-impedance) injectors can be super-fast responding units; hence i'm not so sure losing the ability to drive low-impedance injectors is such a big deal?

A pair of MJY100460's in each inlet tract with a 4-bar fuel rail should support some big hp numbers - so if it's easier to utilise 12-16 ohm units, then this is a reasonable acceptance that anyone who wants to use MS on an a-series?

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 12th Feb, 2008 jbelanger said:
Nothing related to MS2/extra is included in the main documentation which means that any MS2/related feature and/or CPU pinout may contradict the text.

Thanks Jean, I hadn't appreciated that, I was too busy looking for problems rather than solutions....

I've re-read the MS2-Extra manual again today and it's now beginning to make sense, so I'll re-read it a couple more times before asking any more stupid questions :):):)

Rod.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 13th Feb, 2008 retired said:

I've re-read the MS2-Extra manual again today and it's now beginning to make sense, so I'll re-read it a couple more times before asking any more stupid questions :):):)

Rod.

You will soon be the TurboMinis Megasquirt expert. I find stalking the MS2/Extra and the MS2/Extra Development forums very informative.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 13th Feb, 2008 Paul S said:

You will soon be the TurboMinis Megasquirt expert.

:):):)

I haven't even finished building it yet (too many choices, as per some parts of this thread), let alone making it work !!!

And the engine it's going to run is this so far....

You're way ahead of me !!!

Rod.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

On 13th Feb, 2008 TurboDave said:
Jean - We know that modern (high-impedance) injectors can be super-fast responding units; hence i'm not so sure losing the ability to drive low-impedance injectors is such a big deal?

A pair of MJY100460's in each inlet tract with a 4-bar fuel rail should support some big hp numbers - so if it's easier to utilise 12-16 ohm units, then this is a reasonable acceptance that anyone who wants to use MS on an a-series?

It wouldn't be a big deal to lose the ability to drive low-impedance injectors but it's not hard at all to regain it with a small add-on board (which I happen to make :) ). See http://jbperf.com/p&h_board/index.html. Since you'd want to have 4 identical injector drivers, using the boards is an easy way to do it. And if you plan for it when building the MS board, you can save some assembly time and parts because you can skip the v3.0 injector driver assembly.

Jean

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

I have one of these, Peak and hold driver PCB, going spare, if anyone is interested, you just need to put an order in at Digikey for the components. The cost to you would be what it cost me, no profits *wink*

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

On 11th Feb, 2008 Paul S said:

On 11th Feb, 2008 Rob H said:

Rob, that would be the ideal, but you need a fully sequencial ECU for that and they ain't cheap.

As an experiment would it be possible to hook up two MS units, each controlling a pair of injectors so that you could adjust the timing & duration independently? Got to be quicker & easier than modifying the code & adding extra inputs to MS?

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

canemsdave

9 Posts
Member #: 2172

On 4th Feb, 2008 Paul S said:
Actually, just read the Canems website again and studied the log at the bottom of the page.

They are actually no nearer than me in getting this problem sorted. At full tilt the AFRs are 10 inner/13 outer. it's pretty good at idle though!

Hi Paul,

The datalogs on that page were taken with an NB sensor to emphasise the similarity between inner and outer cylinders. The fact that the lambda readings are oscillating at all prove that we can balance the fueling on the stoichiometric point throughout the rev range.
If you have any doubts about the capability of the system please come and have a drive of a car fitted with the system. I don't want to become involved in any arguments about Megasquirt/Vems/Canems or any other systems - I admire your development work and would hope for a mutual respect for ours.

Cheers
Dave

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

On 19th Feb, 2008 canemsdave said:

I don't want to become involved in any arguments about Megasquirt/Vems/Canems or any other systems

Ha ha ha!

What arguments? There are no Arguments here. *laughing*

canemsdave

9 Posts

Ok.. friendly debates *tongue*

canemsdave

9 Posts

Ok.. friendly debates *tongue*

Home > MS Trials & Testing > Siamesed Code Trial
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password: