Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > FAQ / Knowledge > Air flow and Pressure Ratio Calcs

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Here is my method of calculating the above.

Comments would be appreciated.

Please use with caution.

Attachments:

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

maths! yuck lol

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

What a mixed up mess of units !!!
I can do degrees C to degrees K in my head, but cc to cubic feet...had to keep looking up conversion factors....
You've assumed adiabatic in the compressor so it will be slightly out but I can follow it all and I think I agree with it all (although I haven't checked all of the actual maths) until the last change from 183CFM to 12.62lbs/min.
What value for density have you used at this point?
Rod.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 7th Apr, 2008 retired said:
What a mixed up mess of units !!!
I can do degrees C to degrees K in my head, but cc to cubic feet...had to keep looking up conversion factors....
You've assumed adiabatic in the compressor so it will be slightly out but I can follow it all and I think I agree with it all (although I haven't checked all of the actual maths) until the last change from 183CFM to 12.62lbs/min.
What value for density have you used at this point?
Rod.

Sorry about the mix of units, but I've converted air flows to common units used on compressor maps.

I have actually used the compressor efficiency in the calcs, but had forgotten it in the notes. The notes are now updated.

I've consistantly used 0.069 to convert CFM to Lbs/min. Remember that you are always calculating the air flow at the compressor inlet.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The method is the one detailed in the Hugh MacInnes book "Turbochargers" that I've developed to include Intercooling.

I was just discussing this book with my wife and we agreed that I must have bought it in 1978 because I read it on holiday in Bournemouth that year. It has only took me thirty years to put it into practise!

neilj1678

192 Posts
Member #: 1297
Advanced Member

Sunny Stockport

I can follow everything up until the intercooler bit. How did you get 12.62 lb/min coming out of the intercooler with 10.9 lb/min going in? The volumetric flow will change but the mass should be the same should it not?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 7th Apr, 2008 neilj1678 said:
I can follow everything up until the intercooler bit. How did you get 12.62 lb/min coming out of the intercooler with 10.9 lb/min going in? The volumetric flow will change but the mass should be the same should it not?

The calculated air flow is that at the compressor inlet.

Because you cool the charge with the intercooler, thereby increasing the density, the engine will consume more air by mass for the given boost.

The engine volumetric flow is determined by the VE. The mass flow depends on the pressure and temperature at the cylinder inlet. Basically, this method calculates the change in air flow at the compressor inlet due to the changes in density.

Edited by Paul S on 8th Apr, 2008.

neilj1678

192 Posts
Member #: 1297
Advanced Member

Sunny Stockport

Ahh, I stand corrected then!

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 7th Apr, 2008 Paul S said:
Remember that you are always calculating the air flow at the compressor inlet.

Yes, of course, I always miss the obvious.
The AFR and BSFC don't care about pressure/temperature before or after the turbo or intercooler, just the mass of air going in and that will be the same from air filter to engine.

I would have used SI units throughout and converted kW to BHP at the very end then I might not have missed the obvious !!!

Is the efficiency on a compressor map just the adiabatic efficiency then? - I'd never really thought about until now.

Now how about a spreadsheet so everyone can key in their own values !!!!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes, the compressor efficiency on a map is just the adiabatic efficiency.

I do have a spreadsheet, but I'm reluctant to publish it as, in the wrong hands, it could be misinterpreted.

I would rather those interested study the method and develop their own spreadsheet.

If someone just wants answers and is not interested in the method then there are several web based calculators that they can use.

I would be happy to help develop our own TurboMinis web based calculator.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 7th Apr, 2008 Paul S said:
I do have a spreadsheet, but I'm reluctant to publish it as, in the wrong hands, it could be misinterpreted.

Very valid point - I only made the comment "tongue in cheek" as it's what I always do when I have a longish calculation I want to repeat time and time again with different variables !!!

I should have put a couple of :):) in.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

''Because you cool the charge with the intercoller, thereby reducing the density,''
?? *smiley*

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Picky :)

Ok, what I meant was reducing the volume for a given mass.

On 7th Apr, 2008 robert said:
''Because you cool the charge with the intercoller, thereby reducing the density,''
?? *smiley*

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I'll take a look at my stuff later - as/when i find any kind of time. :(

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

GaryOS

1424 Posts
Member #: 2810
Formally spanner181187

Dublin, Ireland

Thanks Paul for posting this guide. I have been meaning to check my setup against the compressor map for months now but never got round to it. Then I found myself in work today with all my work until the end of the month complete. After annoying everyone requesting more work I decided to be properly productive and work out the airflow for my engine.

My assumtions followed Pauls as I don't know enough about most of the subjects to change them.

Engine Capacity: 1150 cc (1098 +0.060")
Ambient Pressure: 1000 mbara (live beside the sea)
Ambient Temperature: 25 deg C (Pauls)
Intercooler Efficiency: 80 % (Pauls)
Compressor Efficiency: 71 % (Pauls)
Engine Volumetric Efficiency: 85%
Pressure Loss through Air Filter: 50 mbarg (Pauls)
AFR 12.50 (Pauls)
BSFC 0.50 Lb/hp/hr (Pauls)
Boost: 700 mbar
EDIT: Peak BHP @ 5800 using an SW5-07

Final figures turned out as:
Air Flow: 11.269 lbs/min
Pressure ratio: 1.789

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarre...44_454083_2.htm

It seems to land right in the peak efficiency island. Hopefully I didn't screw up on any of the few things I had to decide for myself :(

Edited by GaryOS on 29th Jul, 2009.

On 12th Nov, 2009 Paul S said:

I think Gary OS has taken over my role as the forum smart arse *happy*

On 30th Apr, 2010 Rod S said:
Gary's description is best

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

That is a good choice, if you never, ever would consider anything larger than your current engine.
If you *think* wou might do a 1275 in the future, I'd jump all over the next one up. It really doesn't look that much different - but you will gain a lot of flow through the turbine.

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

GaryOS

1424 Posts
Formally spanner181187

Dublin, Ireland

Thanks for the input Dave. I really have no intentions of changing engine in the next 5 years minimum. I have spent way too much time, effort and money to even think about other builds once this is done. I'm burned out on this one

EDIT: Just to clarify, the next one up is the same turbo that Turbo Tel uses, isn't it?

Edited by GaryOS on 29th Jul, 2009.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Yes. I've got one as well. Looks night and day superior to a T2.

GaryOS

1424 Posts
Formally spanner181187

Dublin, Ireland

Ok, Could someone please explain something for me? Where does the assumtion of 71% efficiency for the compressor come from? Also, where is it applicable?

GaryOS

1424 Posts
Formally spanner181187

Dublin, Ireland

Well, it looks like I have found the answer. It appears to be straight off the compressor map. If that is the case, why is it listed in the assumptions before any calculations begin? Is it an estimate or a goal? Also, I don't remeber using it to calculate pressure ratios of air flows so is it needed?

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Just had a look at these to graphs:

If assume Paul's torque curve remains flat beyond 5630 rpm (I can see no reason why it wouldn't) and extrapolate the power curve out to 6500 rpm you get 121 BHP at 6500 rpm, which is exactly the same as calculated above.

Well done, I'm seriously impressed.

Edited by Rob H on 2nd Mar, 2010.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I just need to improve the head to make it flow a bit more, add a GT1752 and we could see around 130hp !

Rob H

4314 Posts

The West Country

Paul, I'm stuck with the increase in temperature, where does the [(n-1)/n] come from and why does n = 1.4? when I pump the numbers in your example into the formula for temperature increase I seem to get an output temperature that's cooler than the input temperature which is blatantly wrong.

Rob H

4314 Posts

The West Country

Paul, don't answe that just yet, I think I've figured it out, just need to re-crunch the numbers.

EDIT:

Had to look at my old A-Level physics books and played around with my calculations at lunch but I'm happier now. It would appear that I needed to raise the pressure ratio to the power of (n-1)/n not the output pressure which I had previously raised to the power of (n-1)/n.

Also figured out where the (n-1)/m n came from, simply taken from the ideal gas law with n being the heat capacity ratio which is 1.4 for diatomic gases.

Simples

Edited by Rob H on 3rd Mar, 2010.

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

Don't worry he's out on business today and won't be able to get on TM. I think he'll be getting withdrawal symptoms about now :)

Home > FAQ / Knowledge > Air flow and Pressure Ratio Calcs
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: