Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Ooooo now this is interesting!!

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

matt you may be right ,but i did bring a big block chevy meziere electric water pump back from vancouver for 38 quid !

paul thanks for that ill hopefully let you know this weekend if i can take you up on it if thats ok .may be a good solution , i dont really know what people have revved the slotted ones too? maybe madmatt would know ?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Miglia racers have used the Rover pistons up to 8500, but then they are usualy replaced after 500 miles *happy*

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

MadMatt

703 Posts
Member #: 105
1st to provide proof of a running Bimmy Conversion!

Brisbane ,Australia

slotted pistons are ok for mild compression & 7000rpms-ish,,, they distort lots ater that tho,,, with big comp ratios & big cams make for high revs & high chamber temps the tops of them wobble around working back n forth, back n forth & eventually crack & if kept on reving they pop the tops off them,,,

But for the average hard road & casual track use they`re fine-ish

My dad`s design piston he went for holes instead of slots back in 1969, maybe he was the first hey Sprocket?
*smiley* (That was an attempt at humour)

& Robert, you still win the most cost effective conversion, just because it needs pistons & re-bore now is beside the point, that`s all just after the fact *smiley*

good on you fella, keep up the good work

www.miniman.com.au

"""LazyGoodForNothingSmartArseKnowItAllBackYardMiniMechanic"""

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 24th Mar, 2009 MadMatt said:

My dad`s design piston he went holes instead of slots back in 1969, maybe he was the first hey Sprocket?

what, no humungus post telling the world every detail of wht you have been up to since 19 naught plonk? I really dont think anyone cares:)

So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

On 24th Mar, 2009 MadMatt said:
slotted pistons are ok for mild compression & 7000rpms-ish,,, they distort lots ater that tho,,, with big comp ratios & big cams make for high revs & high chamber temps the tops of them wobble around working back n forth, back n forth & eventually crack & if kept on reving they pop the tops off them,,,

But for the average hard road & casual track use they`re fine-ish

My dad`s design piston he went for holes instead of slots back in 1969, maybe he was the first hey Sprocket?

& Robert, you still win the most cost effective conversion, just because it needs pistons & re-bore now is beside the point, that`s all just after the fact *smiley*

good on you fella, keep up the good work

thanks matt ,thats rally usefull , i wonder if you know if the hypatecs ,which seems to have smaller slot ,are any better than the ae pistons for this cracking malarky ?

incidentaly i like your humour matt ,and having read about your tribulations of life over on efi ,all i can say is it sounds like youv shown a hell of a lot of courage and determination to achieve what you have ,and i , for one, DO ,care ,well done chap.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

MadMatt

703 Posts
Member #: 105
1st to provide proof of a running Bimmy Conversion!

Brisbane ,Australia

Thanks Robert, appreciate it greatly man

The hypertechs are fine for big revs, they seem to handle well in lots of very fast race minis here...

Edit--> i actually havn`t seen or heard of one cracking yet... so i would be very confident with them.

There are still better pistons tho

Both Graham Russels own Pistons & the later model JP big bore pistons are absolutely "Un-breako",,, The JPs are a tad heavier tho, however there is soo much room for removing meat from them to even up that extra weight without compromising the integrity or strength of the piston, but they cost more, so GRs pistons are selling far better than the JPs,,, & yeah Sprocket The JPs were designed by my dad,,, & whatever beef you have with me & all my dribble i hope you get over it... i have & just trying to make light of things, please lets just be friends?

I apologise for my mistake with professing to be the first turbo twinky ok? It was in a certain context & wasn`t meant to be a "claim" more of a point to show that Greg Temkin was the first & that Morspeed wasn`t,,, certainly not meant to take anything away from Jimsters mantle & he knows that... i think (hope) most people do.

But back when i was a kid, i used to always be the first to school & ,,,,

*smiley*

Edited by MadMatt on 25th Mar, 2009.

www.miniman.com.au

"""LazyGoodForNothingSmartArseKnowItAllBackYardMiniMechanic"""

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

The hypertechs are fine for big revs, they seem to handle well in lots of very fast race minis here...

matt does that include the slotted ones ?do you know how much revving a slotted one has taken in the past ?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Here's a piccie:

The one at the back is the 1293:

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

The slipper piston with slots should be no big thing as you shouldnt be using a slipper piston in the A series on a high reving motor anyway, in the pic above the 998 veriety piston on the right is looking like a good piston, the 1275 ons on the left look like standard replacement pistons.

Like I said, the Miglia boys used to use the standard Rover A+ pistons for 500 miles ish, but then they are reving the nuts off the engines for most of those 500 miles. How long do you intend to be at 8500rpm Robert? more to the point, what sort of revs are you looking at taking them to *hehe!* will your cams allow 8k+?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

If I was you Robert, I would get the 73mm Hypatecs with the holes.

http://www.minisport.com.au/prod27.htm

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

cr probs and more money paul , hmmm ,at the mo feedback im getting from aus is that the slotted hold up well ..still investigating .im not remotely worried about using a slipper piston at high rpm ,in fact i think they are better ,its only the slotnosity im concerned about .

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

On 26th Mar, 2009 robert said:
cr probs and more money paul , hmmm ,at the mo feedback im getting from aus is that the slotted hold up well ..still investigating .im not remotely worried about using a slipper piston at high rpm ,in fact i think they are better ,its only the slotnosity im concerned about .

While slipper pistons are suposed to be the better choice for high rpm (bike engines for instance) the a series pistons have a unusualy tall compression hight which can cause the piston to become unstable. All high performance A series pistons have a full skirt, and tht is why. Im sure if it was not a requirement for a full skirt, high performance pistons would all be slipper type pistons.

That is not to say that the slipper piston doesnt work at elevated rpm, but how well is the question*happy*

Edit* well OK, MED do a lightweight forged slipper piston*happy* which is probably a trade off on piston stability against the weight*tongue*

Edited by Sprocket on 26th Mar, 2009.

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

*hehe!*

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Did you say something Robert? *happy*

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

paul could you measure the length of the slot for me ,inner and outer ? i say that cos i think the ends of the slot taper in ? may be wrong though !

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The slot has been cut with a slit saw.

The length of the slot is 37mm at the OD and 24mm at the ID.

The crown is increased in thickness at the slot location.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Keep an eye out for some Cooper S or Metro Turbo +20 pistons on ebay, there have been a few sets since the begining of the year. They should be the ticket

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

On 29th Mar, 2009 Paul S said:
The slot has been cut with a slit saw.

The length of the slot is 37mm at the OD and 24mm at the ID.

The crown is increased in thickness at the slot location.

thanks paul ,i wonder what effect welding up the slot would have on the t6 treatment at the crown.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I don't know about the heat treatment, but I guess it would stuff it up.

The biggest problem would be distortion due to the heat, as the slot is inside the oil ring groove.

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Just reach for a new tube of JB Weld.

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

ok ,well so far i have realized i have 3 good plus 40 turbo pistons ,

and im either going to weld up the other one where the ring lands are damaged ,or find another one !
so ill put a wanted in and see what turns up .
i have some of the right rods for welding a piston ,and have found a chap who welded his pistons completely around the top ,and then machined them ,fortunately the top of a piston IS round ,and so its lathable . the process seems to be to heat it up to 150 degrees ,then weld it tig then let it cool .

im hoping the turbo pistons dont have any super spanky heat treat to be ruined ! but if it has then ill assume his forged ones did as well ,and he put something like 1.8 bar into his on 10 to 1 cr ,with massive knock ,and they survived ,hed already broken the top ring land right off with detonation .!

the budget may still be on !!!!

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Does the tensioner prevent you from fitting a water pump?

I don't think the a series is as forgiving as the V8 when it comes to being run dry.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

no rob , i may fill the block with concrete ,then spray the outside of it with liquid nitrogen ? *wink*

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Whilst you're at it you might as well chuck a bit of LN2 on the IC that'll keep the ACTs down.

Edited by Rob H on 21st May, 2009.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

robert

6743 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

Ive got some lno on the floor of the kitchen ..... would that work ?

Home > Show Us Yours! > Ooooo now this is interesting!!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: