Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > 998cc > Your thoughts please

shane

2620 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

I believe my 1275 blocks rings are shot, due to a house purchase funds are a little tight at the moment so am toying with making the best out of a bad situation and using what I have to save the day, can you please give your thoughts on the following.
12g940 head (Benross spec)
Pocketed 998cc block fitted with std998cc flat tops (engine covered no more than 4k)
R5GT T2 on mirage asy
Currently using std turbo verto clutch
S/C C/ratio box
MJ
Ford S2 Rs I/C
I have3 cam options avonbar P2 (currently in 1275) SW5 (currently in 998) and std metty turbo cam, after a little bashing of the search button, im a little confuse which to use, this is the part which is causing me most concern.
Im not looking for huge bananas, im running 6psi at the mo (1275) possibly looking to run more tho on this to get a few more nanans but not much.
Also what head gasket to use? I found when searching a few different options on this, who has fitted what and with what sucess rate?
Many thanks in advance.
Shane

Edited by shane on 31st May, 2008.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

The only problem I see is getting the CR right. Assuming that your pockets are 1cc each then your chamber volume needs to be 27cc to make the CR 9:1 ish with the flat tops. If this is right then it looks like a goer.

Although I have no experience with the SW5, as it's in the engine I'd leave it there. The PH2 is a bit extreme and changing back to the Metro cam seems a waste of time.

The standard pistons are good upto 10psi with good fuelling and timing.

If using a 940 head then use the BK450, no other option. A good tip (if not already done) is to block the water holes in the block that rune close to the fire rings of the head gasket; there are 2 to fill, one behind No. 1 and one behind No. 4.

Get it done, bring it to Avon and you might win a prize. http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=223087

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

shane

2620 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Thanks Will, the only thing I have thought of that will be an issue is the drops, as the transfere gear is differnt (the drops are on my 1275 at the moment) may have to source one for the 998 crank or go helical?
Cheers
Shane

wil_h

9258 Posts
Post Whore

At 6psi you'll have less than 100 bananas so helical drops in good condition and properly st float on the idler will be easily enough.

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

Advantage

1137 Posts
Member #: 1450
Post Whore

Near Paris - France

Proof I used the search button, I am digging this old post

Anyway, I read 10 psi is OK on standart pistons : do we talk about A+ pistons ?

I am gonna use a 12G295 head, intercooler and the standart camshaft.

Since 10 psi is OK, I'll go for that in the end when fuelling and timing are right

What are the chances the transmission stays in 1 piece ?

What is the power expectancy ?
I have 80 to 90 in mind

Is it a shame to keep the standart camshaft ?
What gains are we talking about ?

Thanks in advance

Rusty by nature

On 23rd Jun, 2008 paul wiginton said:

They said "That sounds rough mate." I said "Cheers it cost me a fortune to make it sound like that!"

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Im using a 12G295 with a mild cam on my 998 Turbo. Engines running but turbo has not been fitted yet.

I'm planning on 12 psi max and hoping for 120hp. I have the standard transmission but have fitted a four pin differential.

I'm expecting problems with the verto clutch and have contingency plans if it slips.

I would expect you to get around 100 hp with 10psi and the standard cam.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

wil_h

9258 Posts
Post Whore

I agree with paul. I'm running 8.5psi on a totally standard engine (6000miles so far) and reckon I have between 80 and 90 bhp. I use the MG metro cam and a 295 head.

Keeping the combustion completly free of det is the way to make the standard slipper pistons last.

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

wil, what milage was the donor engine? or was it rebuilt 6k ago?

shane, you can get fully floating 998 bushes to fit your primary for £17 from swiftune if that helps?

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

wil_h

9258 Posts
Post Whore

On 8th Oct, 2008 joeybaby83 said:

shane, you can get fully floating 998 bushes to fit your primary for £17 from swiftune if that helps?

70, 000 miles before I turbo'd it! I've had it since 50k running in NA form around 60bhp.

Before me it was totally standard.

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

shane

2620 Posts
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Cheers but got my engine issue sorted joey, I bought a rebuilt 1293 engine off another tm member, just need the time to fit it now, which I doubt will be before xmas.
Shane

On 8th Oct, 2008 joeybaby83 said:

Home > 998cc > Your thoughts please
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: