Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > What a really SH-T day

Gavin Wakely

398 Posts
Member #: 793

Milton Keynes

Trailering the car to Avon Fri afternoon, and 2 miles from Avon on the B4632. The road vias slightly down and to the left and then a vias right leading over a stone bridge ! Well at about 40 mph approx as I go round the left hander we go over a bit of a rut / pot hole / storm drain which somehow dislodges the trailer from the car ! Now the towing vehicle and trailer are separated, the trailer goes across the road into a poor ususpecting 17 year old in a little 106 traveling at 40 mph approx who only parced his test on Thu ! Next is the inevitable carnage ! The trailer with car on hits 106 head on, 106 and trailer absorb some of the impact before the car on the trailer breaks away from the lorry straps holding it onto the trailer, then proceeds to also hit the 106 making car spin through the air ending up with the back end sitting on the wall. 106 a total write off young lad shaken up but O.K, trailer totalled and my car on the trailer F/N/S damage, damaged both rear radius arms, 1 wheel split and some other minor panel damage !
So the upshot is it was a SH-T day but, all in all it could have been alot worse even fatal, so got to look at it positively, mine will be fixed ready to fight another day and the young lad walked away. (I may post some pic's later, obviously not to kean at the mo.
I'm glad some good times awell as some P.B's were posted and the weather turned out good on Sun. So many thanks to all the people who assited aswell as any best wishes to sorting this mess out, so roll on Avon cos the car will be back :-

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/spe...er1/mini007.jpg

If it a'nt broke don't fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theoneeyedlizard

7260 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Sorry to hear it Gavin.

It's hard, but stay positive and use this as an excuse to treat your car to some new goodies. (That's what I do when things go tits up).

Hope you get it sorted soon.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

johnK

1425 Posts
Member #: 690
Post Whore

Norfolk

Gav - gutted for you, look forward to seeing it out and about soon.

JK

If Carling made Mini engines
it would probably be like this one!

MikeRace

6549 Posts
Member #: 1149
#1 Basshunter Fan

Force Racing ICT Dept Manager Miglia Turbo Am frum Yokshyer tha noes!

Sorry to hear that mate, what a sh!tter, like you say, keep your chin up kid and look on the bright side.

1/4 Mile 14.3secs 96Mph Terminal 10psi of boost.

Fibreglass Parts? - http://www.tdkracing.co.uk/
Split Rims? - http://www.force-racing.co.uk/

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

Best of luck sorting the damage done, as you say least no-one was hurt!

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

AlexB
Site Admin

6263 Posts
Member #: 1
The boring bloke who runs this place.

Berkshire

sounds horrid. Glad you're all OK.

Star Mag

1745 Posts
Member #: 375
Post Whore

Leicestershire

Thats really bad news! My brother had a similar experience and flipped a trailer with his car on the back! Not a nice feeling! Hope you sort things out! Ron

Ben.

628 Posts
Member #: 1064
Formally Whyte_ben

Horndean, Hampshire

Sorry to hear about your car mate, but glad to hear you and the other guy are ok.

Build Thread Click Here

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Wouldn't wish this on anyone... Sorry to hear it. Any idea how the trailer became seperated from the tow car - did the hitch come clean off the ball or what? Over here, there are two sturdy chains fastened to the tow bar in addition to the ball / hitch.
I've never personally seen a hitch come off a ball - but I can see why safety chains can potentially prevent a nasty accident.

Edited by TurboDave16V on 14th Jul, 2008.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Mini_Andy

2102 Posts
Member #: 432
Post Whore

Swindon

damn that really sucks, but it could have been worse!

is it your fault on the insurance or something else?

Gavin Wakely

398 Posts

Milton Keynes

Dave Cheer's :) The ball and hitch are both 50mm Dia, (not a mixture of the old 2" and 50 mm), the latch mechanism was in tact and no obvious damaged component to create a seperation. I'd towed the trailer 75 miles perfectely, so some how the angle of the trailer / towing car and hitch and the jolt from the pot hole have been enough to create a 1 in a million freak situations. So a lesson for everyone, don't rely on the poxy wire tether to save the trailer all it will do is apply the brakes and scrub some speed off the trailer before the towing vehicle going forwards and the trailer slowing down break the wire, still allowing the trailer and towing car to seperate. So add some extra chains as a fail safe.

On 14th Jul, 2008 TurboDave said:
Wouldn't wish this on anyone... Sorry to hear it. Any idea how the trailer became seperated from the tow car - did the hitch come clean off the ball or what? Over here, there are two sturdy chains fastened to the tow bar in addition to the ball / hitch.
I've never personally seen a hitch come off a ball - but I can see why safety chains can potentially prevent a nasty accident.

Gavin Wakely

398 Posts

Milton Keynes

Well it certainly wasn't the young lad inoccently driving home, but in process of the insurance minefield cos I duno how this situation is viewed in refernce to the accident and the damage to my car.
I think the towing car covers the accident but not my trailer or my speedster, but does my speedsters insurance cover its own damage under accidental damage ? (The insurance is a comprehensive cover with agreed value)

On 14th Jul, 2008 miniturboman said:

Nicky
Site Admin

I helped keep this site alive!

1921 Posts
Member #: 333
Post Whore

Tadley, Hampshire

How awful, good job everyone's ok

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Seen the car on the trailer as i arived, and my heart sank, I have a personal fondness of this car.

Chin up. A quick bash with a hammer, a tweek with a spanner and it will good as new :)

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

On 14th Jul, 2008 Gavin Wakely said:
Well it certainly wasn't the young lad inoccently driving home, but in process of the insurance minefield cos I duno how this situation is viewed in refernce to the accident and the damage to my car.
I think the towing car covers the accident but not my trailer or my speedster, but does my speedsters insurance cover its own damage under accidental damage ? (The insurance is a comprehensive cover with agreed value)

On 14th Jul, 2008 miniturboman said:

That is really bad news mate, Love your car.

I had a simular scare last year when my wheel bearing locked up on my trailer while doing 85+ on the motorway. (single axle) Luckily I managed to get from the gravel on the outside lane to the hard shoulder without damaging the mini on the trailer or anyone else around me.

At the time the mini was not insured, so I got insurance on it straight away, I asked the insurance company if the mini was insured when on the trailer

they told me this:
On the tow car's insurance your covered on the towcar, trailer and load as long as they are problerly secured.

This is also the same on the mini's insurance

so really not sure where you stand, your in a big grey area.

good luck anyway

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

T3Tone

1666 Posts
Member #: 252
Post Whore

Sunny suffolk

Very sorry to hear about this, just glad no one was hurt.

-MINI CLUBMAN 1380 TURBO-

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

Such a shame

But bring it back better than ever!!!!

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Member #: 1194
Post Whore

Shropshire.

gutted for you, really bad news, just glad everyone was ok.

wolfie

8215 Posts
Member #: 90
Post Whore

Somewhere around Swindon

bugger

Crystal Sound Audio said:

Why wolfie...you should have your name as Fuckfaceshithead !

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Really dont want to add to your woes,but many insurers decline responsibility once the trailer has become detached.Please check it out and be prepared .

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Member #: 719
Post Whore

Horndean - Near Portsmouth

Gutted for you! So unlucky for this to happen. Just good that no one got hurt.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

blimey , bloody well done gavin for a positive attitude ,and max commiserations on such a trauma.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Nothing really I can add Gav, an absolute pisser, but the main thing is that everyone was OK.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Ben H

3329 Posts
Member #: 184

Melton Mowbray, Pie Country

What a total pisser. I do worry about this sort of thing, which is why we have separate insurance for the mini on trailer, but it has just expired. I good reminder to get it sorted.

Good luck getting it sorted.

http://www.twin-turbo.co.uk
http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/default.asp

A man without a project is like a like a woman without a shopping list.

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Gutting. I hope you get every thing sorted.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Home > General Chat > What a really SH-T day
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: