Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Pistons

theoneeyedlizard

7262 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

On 28th Oct, 2008 BENROSS said:
gary, pics of the bores please!

I'll get some tonight if not tomorrow. From what I remember though, they all look good other than the mark on pot 1 that was visible before the strip down.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

Why not use this block, and get some 040 pistons instead of getting another block as in the other thread?

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

theoneeyedlizard

7262 Posts

Essex

On 28th Oct, 2008 Vegard said:
Why not use this block, and get some 040 pistons instead of getting another block as in the other thread?

I was considering it, but I've already spent money on a head to suit, so don't want to increase the CR.

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

I would of thought they'd be equaly bad in pairs (inners/outers). Sounds like cylinder 4 hasn't been able to dissipate heat aswell as the others, if it is substantially worse? *oh well*

Have you got the heater pumbed in or at least a bypass hose to help water circulation around cylinder 4?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Member #: 719
Post Whore

Horndean - Near Portsmouth

Ive seen in pics of your car gary that you have the heater tap blanked off on no.4 end, I have too.

Was wondering if I was going to run into any problems by blanking mine off, could the problem here be related to this being blanked?

theoneeyedlizard

7262 Posts

Essex

Nope, I'm still using the heater plumbing. I left it there because of this the possible heat problems and cos I like it cosey in the cabin.

EDIT: Just remembered. Carl had this blocked off, so the engine has done about 3000 miles with it blocked and about 100 with it plumbed in.

TBH it's not that much worse, just a little.

Edited by theoneeyedlizard on 28th Oct, 2008.

Mr Joshua

2485 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

On 28th Oct, 2008 richminiturbo. said:
Ive seen in pics of your car gary that you have the heater tap blanked off on no.4 end, I have too.

Was wondering if I was going to run into any problems by blanking mine off, could the problem here be related to this being blanked?
You have no efficent way of removing the hot water from around number 4 cylinder. I run a copper pipe from the heater tap take off across the back of the rocker cover into the bottom hose of the rad so I have a constant circulation of coolant.

Own the day

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

On 27th Oct, 2008 Paul R said:
talking about buggerd pistons what do you think about this...

They look like they have pretty much served a long stint in an engine, even excluding the huge ding in the bottom (dropped mabie) I wouldn't use them, I'd source a better condition set.

I'm guessing they are standard bore, hense wanting to use them in that condition.

Edited by minimole23 on 28th Oct, 2008.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Member #: 719
Post Whore

Horndean - Near Portsmouth

On 28th Oct, 2008 Mr Joshua said:

You have no efficent way of removing the hot water from around number 4 cylinder. I run a copper pipe from the heater tap take off across the back of the rocker cover into the bottom hose of the rad so I have a constant circulation of coolant.

With regards to this, how have you plumbed it back in to your bottom hose?

I'm using a front mounted radiator and have not yet got any of the hoses, I need to make an adapter for the bottom hose, to which the feed from the header tank will be connected to, will I need to do the same for the heater tap take off?

I've been pondering about this for a while, wasn't sure if I really needed to keep the flow going past number 4 but I'd rather be safe than sorry!!

Edited by richminiturbo. on 28th Oct, 2008.

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

On 28th Oct, 2008 theoneeyedlizard said:

On 28th Oct, 2008 Vegard said:

I was considering it, but I've already spent money on a head to suit, so don't want to increase the CR.

Have you calculated the difference? It's fuck all.

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

CANT SEE IT!

Right

I've made a note of where the damage is on each piston and made a little diagram.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

theoneeyedlizard

7262 Posts

Essex

V - I've not done the calcs yet. Thing is, the pistons are running .8 mm down the bore. I was intending on getting them level with the deck. I assumed that this, plus the increased bore would take it up quite a way.

It's at 8.4:1 at the moment.

Joe - that's weird?!? It must have worked at some point as Matty has made comment on it. I'll sort it in the morning.

MikeRace

6549 Posts
Member #: 1149
#1 Basshunter Fan

Force Racing ICT Dept Manager Miglia Turbo Am frum Yokshyer tha noes!

The piston sitting further down the bore would DEcrease the CR.

1/4 Mile 14.3secs 96Mph Terminal 10psi of boost.

Fibreglass Parts? - http://www.tdkracing.co.uk/
Split Rims? - http://www.force-racing.co.uk/

miniminor63

1849 Posts
Member #: 672
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

if you go 040 and make the pistons sit flush you will end up with 9.19:1 CR. if you keep them 0.8 mm below the deck you will have a CR of 8.5:1

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

the difference in bore will make about 0.2-1 difference to the comp ratio,

decking the pistons will lose 3.1cc which will raise the compression 0.5-1

swings and roundabouts.

could another 3cc be found in the chambers?

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

Joe - that's weird?!? It must have worked at some point as Matty has made comment on it. I'll sort it in the morning.

Nah ive never seen this pic either, I was just commenting on the first pic and the descriptions you've given about which one was worse. *wink*

.....Unless the picture is supposed to be a red cross? *hehe!*

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

theoneeyedlizard

7262 Posts

Essex

Fixed the image.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

interesting, thats pretty much the opposite of what i was expecting.

Mr Joshua

2485 Posts
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

On 28th Oct, 2008 Mr Joshua said:

I'm using a front mounted radiator and have not yet got any of the hoses, I need to make an adapter for the bottom hose, to which the feed from the header tank will be connected to, will I need to do the same for the heater tap take off?

I've been pondering about this for a while, wasn't sure if I really needed to keep the flow going past number 4 but I'd rather be safe than sorry!!
The bottom hose for the rad has 2 return lines in it. I believe I took it from an SPI I was breaking could even have meen an MPI. But it allowed me to retain full control of my heater matrix and allow full unrestricted flow from around number 4 piston I had to fabricate the copper pipe and braze an extra piece on so I can run the system as I wanted hope the pic is clear.

You can see the two return lines coming out just behind the rad to the left of the cap. The copper pipe feeds into the lower pipe and the heater return feeds into the upper pipe wher I have positioned a later type heater tap.

Attachments:

Edited by Mr Joshua on 29th Oct, 2008.

Own the day

Mr Joshua

2485 Posts
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

Back in 2003 I melted No.4 piston! Sinc I have run like this No problems with melting pistons and I am running more boost for more of the time.

Edited by Mr Joshua on 29th Oct, 2008.

Own the day

Home > Show Us Yours! > Pistons
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: