Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > 998cc > Finally made a start on the engine

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 11th Nov, 2008 matty said:
Sigged! *hehe!*

On 10th Nov, 2008 joeybaby83 said:

paul your a dream boat! ill pm you

Good. I was still getting embarrassed about your previous sig.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

made a bit more slow progress today, fighting off hangover plus man flu so got achey joints and thick head etc, but still got a few milestones out of the way

firstly i set my big pillar drill up as a milling machine to shave the centre main bearing cap flat, was a bit dubious about this, but a few people have reassured me that this is fine and it worked an absolute treat, took a video, but not sure how to upload it? anyone?

i put the cap in the vice first so only the 'hump' protruded, ground it semi flat with the angle grinder, so there was only about 1mm or so that needed cleaning up

knocked the drill down to 120rpm, and plently of wd40 and its made really light work of it, the finish wasnt brilliant but 2 mins on a whetstone and it was spot on,

end result:

do you think my strap is big enough? lol

cheers to carl for the bolts.

then got about modding the block so the thrust can run upside down:

so thats pretty much all the block work out of the way bar drilling the mains for undercrown cooling

i dont know what to do to the crank though (if anything?), maybe get it hardened?

Edited by joeybaby83 on 6th Dec, 2008.

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

nice solution to the thrust retention. :)

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Are you sure that you need under crown cooling on the 998?

Standard 998 rods have an oil spray hole pointing in the right sort of direction.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Post Whore

Isle of Man

possibly not, ive never ever seen a 998 little end!!

will have a look when i take the pots off my rods, as bat would say everyday is a school day!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The spray hole is on the big end, pointing to the underside of the piston. There is a corresponding hole in the bearing shells. It must get a good dose once a rev.

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

The hole can be seen here:

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Post Whore

Isle of Man

do all small bore roads have this? i cant believe i havent noticed it before...?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 6th Dec, 2008 joeybaby83 said:
do all small bore roads have this? i cant believe i havent noticed it before...?

I believe so.

Vegard

7763 Posts

Norway

I believe that this is for lubricating the fully floating wrist pin. This has got a lubricating hole at 12 o clock.

I don'r know if A+ 998 rods have this..All A ones do.

Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

My early A+ ones from an engine with fully floating pins do.

I'll check a later one with slipper pistons in the morning.

Vegard

7763 Posts

Norway

On 6th Dec, 2008 Paul S said:
My early A+ ones from an engine with fully floating pins do.

What's the difference between an early A+ with floating pin and an A rod?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 6th Dec, 2008 Vegard said:

Very little I expect. Most likely identical.

Vegard

7763 Posts

Norway

On 6th Dec, 2008 Paul S said:

On 6th Dec, 2008 Vegard said:

Very little I expect. Most likely identical.

Sounds darn plausible. Exhausting stock while the new stuff is implemented.

hario

444 Posts
Member #: 2885

I have A's, circlipped, 3-ring slippers with this oil jet hole.
Notice lube hole in little-end is pointing up suggesting that oil hits the crown and rains down onto and into little end..?

Vegard

7763 Posts

Norway

On 17th Dec, 2008 hario said:
I have A's, circlipped, 3-ring slippers with this oil jet hole.
Notice lube hole in little-end is pointing up suggesting that oil hits the crown and rains down onto and into little end..?

Yes, I guess this is the reason.

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Post Whore

Isle of Man

the 998 turbo motor is on the back burner at the min, but slowly getting the bits sorted, some goodies arrived today

med have had a play with the crank, and supplied a nice u/l flywheel etc, all balanced to the nth degree

this weekend, hopefully going to drill the centre main web and oil feed the thrusts ala carl austin, (if i can get in with my drill) and if i have a spare min, throw the short motor together

parts wise, all thats needed now is a bush to convert the 275 drops to 998, ill get that made locally when i can be arsed!

GaryOS

1424 Posts
Member #: 2810
Formally spanner181187

Dublin, Ireland

On 9th Nov, 2009 joeybaby83 said:
parts wise, all thats needed now is a bush to convert the 275 drops to 998, ill get that made locally when i can be arsed!

Swifty sell one for about a tenner. It's on their site. It's just listed as a 998 floating bush but the OD is the size of the ID of a 1275 primary

Good to see progress on this engine. I look forward to seeing it come together

On 12th Nov, 2009 Paul S said:

I think Gary OS has taken over my role as the forum smart arse *happy*

On 30th Apr, 2010 Rod S said:
Gary's description is best

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Post Whore

Isle of Man

i had a word on him at the autosport show, and he thought that those bushes would only fit his inhouse drops witht he circlip retention?

If they will fit any old set, then that will save me alot of time and effort

GaryOS

1424 Posts
Formally spanner181187

Dublin, Ireland

You could be right. I bought one assuming it was a floating bush for a standard 998 but the OD was too big. I guessed it was 1275 size but would make more sense if it fitted his drops given the part description on his site. I never tried it in a 1275 primary

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Post Whore

Isle of Man

do you still have it? want me to try it for you :)

came home from work, and had another parcel waiting for me (Cheers Andy)

now, which one to use......hmmmm?

GaryOS

1424 Posts
Formally spanner181187

Dublin, Ireland

On 9th Nov, 2009 joeybaby83 said:
do you still have it? want me to try it for you :)

Unfortunately we turnde it down in a lathe to act as a standard floating bush for a 998 primary on a 998 crank. Otherwise you would be welcome to it

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Post Whore

Isle of Man

Well a little more progress

i drilled/tapped the hole for the small bore converted turbo oil pump (cheers again HRE) so thats ready to bolt straight on come build time

also have a look at redrilling the oil pressure relief valve return to the sump, so it spits its excess oil out over the drops instead of letting it fall back straight to the sump

now this was mentioned in a thread a while back, but i cannot find it for the life of me, or remember who it was that has done it, anyone remeber it?

Anyway I scribed where all the galleries were on the side of the block, calced where the transfer gears are going to be, and worked at the angle to drill etc

I was actually quite surprised at just how much space there is next tot he oil pump in teh transfer housing, you can also fit your hand in there

my only concern now is that pretty much the only place available will have the oil spitting right out at where the primary runs in its oil seal to the clutch

im paranoid that if suddenly a gush of oil comes flying out, it may find its way through and onto the clutch?

but surely this will only happen when cold or at very high rpm?

im not too fussed about the high rpm scenario, as the transfers will surely fling most of it away, but i am concerned about cold starts/idling

does anyone know what approx pressure this valve opens at as standard?

also won a nice old snap on 90 degree air drill for £13 smackers on ebay, so will get the oil fed thrust action on the go when that arrives

once thats done, its pretty much ready for the dry build, just need some A+ main bearings now :)

GaryOS

1424 Posts
Formally spanner181187

Dublin, Ireland

Great to see progress. It was Joe (mini13) who mentioned the idea for the pressure relief rerouting. I cant remember what thread it was in though

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

When i did mine i just did it straight out the side of the block so it will hit the transfer case and dribble down onto the middle gear (ish), IIRC there is a fin below my hole that will direct it onto the gear

I was going to fit a 90 deg union so it was more directed to the gears, but didn't have one to hand while i was putting the lump together so didn't bother at the time.

std relief pressure is about 40 psi.

I certainly haven't had any any seal leakage probs (that i've noticed) but i'm not squirting it right at the seal.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Home > 998cc > Finally made a start on the engine
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: