Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > MS Trials & Testing > Another trial..... now started

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

OK,

I'm posting a seperate thread to my "show us yours" build.

This thread is specifically for the analysis of the siamese port problems with injection.....

So far I have built my turbo (potentially) engine at 1360cc and have a "mule" 1275 MG Metro (N/A) engine to do the initial tests on. The only confusion to that is that I have temporarily put a severely skimmed head on the (low compression) turbo engine to run it in with a carb, so the initial tests may be on this rather than the MG Metro engine.

Anyway, I have a single Inovative wideband controller that I purchased at the time I bought the Megasquirt (to go on the common exhaust system) and TWO TechEdge DIY controllers and digital displays that I bought as kits and assembled just recentley to go on the inner and outer cylinders....

The TechEdge stuff, if it will do as it claims, will allow me to log just about everything, including inputs direct from Megasquirt and the Innovate (on the common exhaust) via a 0-5V link.

So my plan at the moment is to get the 1360 engine running (out of the car, and on a carb and dizzy) and see if I can get all the data I want.

The third wideband is out of the photo (at the bottom), mainly because I haven't welded the boss in yet...

Edited by Rod S on 11th Dec, 2008.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Well done Rod.

My first logging sessions were on carb, so if you want some data to compare, let me know.

This is the thread:

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=190001

I can email you the whole spreadsheet of data if you are interested.

It will be interesting to see if you find that there is a difference in AFRs at idle between the inner and outer cylinders of about 2 like I did.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Yes Paul,

Ovbiously data shared is to all our benefit, I'm just still a long way behind !!!

Getting the TechEdge to work (only initally tested so far but working as far as I can see) was a real pain....

Look here
http://wbo2forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1735

and then here,
http://wbo2.com/2y/kit.htm
and you might realise that the "important errata" are down to me....

EDIT - probaly worth saying that the links I posted are only valid tonight.... the comments on the forum, and especially the build manual, will change pretty quickly after what I have already said...

Edited by Rod S on 5th Dec, 2008.

alpa

520 Posts
Member #: 2093
Post Whore

Grenoble, France

As I did my ECU myself (a reprogrammed Bosch Motronic) I started with a carb with all sensors in place, then switched to static ignition while still being able to use the dizzy (in case of bugs), then made work injection code while still running carbs, then switched to MPI and then went turbo.
The step-by-step approach is the best as you know the little thing you've changed.

Edited by alpa on 5th Dec, 2008.

std 998 A+, g295, MD266, RHF4, 109hp @0.8bar/5400rpm

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

I don't want to hijack the thread but I think it is related. I have done some progress on the new siamese code.

The new ms2extra code is quite different from the old one I used for the previous version so it has meant almost starting from scratch. However, I think I should have something ready within a week. That will include the current semi-sequential mode and the new fully sequential mode which will require a cam sensor.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 5th Dec, 2008 jbelanger said:
I don't want to hijack the thread but I think it is related. I have done some progress on the new siamese code.

The new ms2extra code is quite different from the old one I used for the previous version so it has meant almost starting from scratch. However, I think I should have something ready within a week. That will include the current semi-sequential mode and the new fully sequential mode which will require a cam sensor.

Jean

Not a hijack at all, Jean.

I think you know where I'm heading.

I will be fitting a cam sensor (and have my MS wired for it as a second input) because I always felt it would be an advantage.

But, like Alpa says, I'm doing this step by step to gather the data....

Get all the sensors and data aquisition working on a carb, then on fuel injection, and finally, turbo (where I will no longer be able to watch inners vs outers so will be relying on other data).

Will your "new" siamese code be able to set different injection timing (either timing start point or injection duration) for inners vs outers - obviously needing a cam sensor to tell the cylinders apart - to overcome the apparent different VEs ???

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

That sounds like a very good plan. Step-by-step is the way to go since it's still in the experimental phase.

And the plan is to indeed have the possibility of setting different injection timing for the inner and outer cylinders. The default will still be semi-sequential timing even with different fueling but there is another optional timing table. So it will be possible to use 1 or 2 fuel tables and 1 or 2 timing tables assuming you have a cam sensor. Without the cam sensor, it's still a single fuel table and a single timing table.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

OK,

Very basic stuff at the moment...

Got the TechEdge DIY build working (a long story but hopefully their QA is now fixed...)
and powered up.

(sorry about the quality of some of the photos)

No logging yet, just display photos...

Free air calibration (PFC not in photo),

Warm-up

Then more stable

Then warmed up

To save guessing, left chanel is outers, right is inners.

A bit erratic during warm-up but then following what I expected.

The TechEdge stuff seems really good (apart from the DIY issues) so I'll try and start some proper logging tommorow....

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

That's interesting.

A bit closer than mine were at idle, but still the inners running rich.

Can I suggest that you swap them round just to check that both sensors and controllers are giving the same answers.

Keep up the good work. I'm going to see if I can isolate some idling data from my early tests.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

My carb log from last year shows AFRs of 14 outer, 12.5 inner on idle after a run.

That was with an SW5 cam. I'm using a similar inlet profile cam on the 998.

What cam are you using Rod?

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

OK,

Engine spec....

I've deviated a little from my initial plans so this isn't the MG Metro engine.

It's the "turbo" engine but N/A at the moment.

1360 on 73mm Hypatech pistons, pistons dished to 14cc but a severely skimmed head applied temporarily to get CR back up to about 9.8:1

MG metro (N/A) cam.

HIF44 carb on N/A MG manifold and MG (N/A) exhaust manifold modified for 2" exhaust.

Lambda probes set at (as far as I could achieve) equal average distance from ports.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Any logs yet Rod?

Metro Turbo manifold is in the post.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 10th Dec, 2008 Paul S said:
Any logs yet Rod?

Metro Turbo manifold is in the post.

Not yet,

I didn't like the lash-up of cables I did that first one with (esp. after having fried a dizzy module) so I'm sorting the cables out more sensibly first.

I've spent a little while setting up the logging software (TechEdge's "WinLog") so I may have a go tonight but, more realistically, Thursday.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Very quick test last night, just to see if I could get the software to work...

Total nightmare and inconclusive

First think that threw me is TechEdge use lambda (rather than AFR) as their default so all the scales were wrong and I tried re-writing them in a freezing cold garage.

Then the engine didn't want to warm up so kept stalling whenever I walked to the laptop...

Then it took ages to figure out how to convert the saved files to meaningfull graphs....

But I think I've figured it all out now, how to log in AFR instead of lambda.

Will try again later but early indications, my engine actually runs slightly weaker on the inners at idle (slow or fast) but reverses when it's revved up ???

EDIT - can't remember the correct tags for pdf files, obviously not IMG....

EDIT2 - going mad, attachments now sorted

EDIT3 - red is outers, green is inners on these graphs

Attachments:

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

fascinating ,thanks rod.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

OK, just for some more "fun" after a long afternoon....

pause a while for the attachments...

I hate the way attachments work, but this was swapping the probes around (probe/cable and controller) to try and prove they are both calibrated properly...

Seems OK to me (so far).

Attachments:

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

So now look at this, cold start...

See how the AFRs reverse as the "choke" goes in....

Attachments:

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Note, these are all screen prints from the laptop, I haven't yet tried the saved logs... too hard at the moment.

Luckily my laptop is in range of my fileserver even out in the garage...

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 11th Dec, 2008 Rod S said:
So now look at this, cold start...

See how the AFRs reverse as the "choke" goes in....

Now that is telling us something very significant.

PaulH

1346 Posts
Member #: 2340
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

Is this a heated manifold ?

On 17th Feb, 2009 Rob H said:

I find the easiest way is to super glue the bolt to the end of one of my fingers.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 11th Dec, 2008 PaulH said:
Is this a heated manifold ?

No, well not in the case of the test - it's the standard MG Metro inlet with water "cooling/heating" but nothing is connected in my case.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 11th Dec, 2008 Paul S said:

Now that is telling us something very significant.

Possibly, but I'm not sure what yet.

This is all at idle so far, I need to get a lot better at doing the logging, and then get the shell roadworthy to put some full power tests down.

BTW, the turbo inlet manifold arrived today (first class !!!), thanks, but I need to start getting more reliable results from what I have before I swap it (which I will, because I'm intrigued now)....

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Possibly, but I'm not sure what yet.

I think that it shows that the air/fuel density within the normal operating range has a significant affect on the mixture distribution. Possibly.

Not sure why though. Wall wetting or inertia?

BTW, the turbo inlet manifold arrived today (first class !!!), thanks, but I need to start getting more reliable results from what I have before I swap it (which I will, because I'm intrigued now)....

That's good, the MD only posted it yesterday lunchtime!

It will be interesting to see if the log design has an impact on the distribution. Unfortunately it still has quite a radius on the entry to the head, but vertical rather than inclined.

I think you need to get some load tests to draw any real conclusions, but very interesting anyway.

Home > MS Trials & Testing > Another trial..... now started
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: