Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Andy's build thread - 1275GTS

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

I've been registered for a while, but haven't really posted much. So, I guess this is as good a place as any to make a start. Hopefully it will give you an idea of what I'm about :)

The car:

I bought it around a rear ago, unseen, described as a solid rolling shell. Just needing a few little bits of welding.... My plan's keep changing, but I think I'm just about settled on the spec now:

Shell - Lot's of repairs. Mainly I've welded up the back, the sides and the front, leaving just the top. Panels fitted so far:

Rear Valance and closing panels.
Rear half boot floor.
Bottom 1" of rear panel.
Driver's side A Post and repaired the inside bit.
Both Front wings and A Panels.
Repaired Passenger side Hinge panel.

Repairs still to make:

Front Valance - It's a bit battered and has some filler and surface rust. I might replace this when I get round to it.
Roof support above Passenger Door. Basically it's rotted through in the corner where those lovely bits of foam are.
Rear Gutter - The back corner section has rotted away and will be replaced.
Roof Skin - It had a Vynal cover on it and is made almost entirely out of holes. I'll be ordering a new heritage skin when I get paid (and a spot welder!).
Replacement (used) parcel shelf as somebody had cut most of the original one out and the rest is rusty.

Under Bonnet - Originaly I was going to put a 1360 pre -A plus lump in and be happy, but then I realised I needed Forced Induction in my life *happy*. So the spec is/will be:

MG Metro 1275 Engine with +20,000 over bore.
Kent 276 Cam (in the block already)
MED stage 3 head with chambers machined out to get the CR down to about 8.5:1.
Toyota SC12 Super Charger *happy*
Custom Pulleys to get the charger running 12PSi *happy*
MK 1 Metro cooling system with 9" kenlowe style fan
Mega Jolt
Maniflow 2" twin box side exit exhaust.

I'm having discussions with Minimadmotorman (My mate John) around the Jack Knight straight cut box and 1:1 drops that are in my garage attached to my engine.... If that pans out, then It will just need a good clean, a check over and a cross pin diff.

I'm aiming for around 100 horses at the wheels. Don't want to go mad with my first build.

I haven't made much progress over the last 6 months. We moved house in May and I only managed to get the car home last Saterday. We keep buying other cars and get distracted with them. Including Richie's mini, we've bought 7 cars this year! I've spent the last 3 months welding up our sheddy Metro Van (don't ask!).

I'll upload some pic's when I get home, so that you can all laugh at my welding.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by apbellamy on 28th Jun, 2012.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Fook me that's a big overbore.

Edited by wil_h on 8th Dec, 2008.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

lol +20 not +20,000

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Doh!

Still a lot to learn....

On 8th Dec, 2008 minimadmotorman said:
lol +20 not +20,000

i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

James_H

3692 Posts
Member #: 1833
Formally mini_majic

Auckland, New Zealand

+0.020 if my name was vegard...

GaryOS

1424 Posts
Member #: 2810
Formally spanner181187

Dublin, Ireland

+0.020" to be even more annoying

On 12th Nov, 2009 Paul S said:

I think Gary OS has taken over my role as the forum smart arse *happy*

On 30th Apr, 2010 Rod S said:
Gary's description is best

James_H

3692 Posts
Formally mini_majic

Auckland, New Zealand

haha! i bet Vegard has had wet dreams about a thread such as this!!

John

10020 Posts
Mongo

This is it as I bought it:

Complete with a lovely webastard sunroof and no motor. Looks OK....

Once it was in my shipping container, I stripped it and started making holes.

The back end was the first bad bit I found.

So I chopped it off

and stuck on a new one.

Working my way round the car, the drivers A post was the next bit to fall apart.

so I chopped it off and put a new one on.

Then I started on the wings and A panels:

I wanted to do something a bit different for the wheels. I managed to get hold of some 12" Cosmics (which don't come up very often), so I've had them blasted and painted them cashmere gold and black.

I did the black by hand in 2 PAC. I was high as a kite by the time i'd done!

I managed to wreck two used subframes while I was doing this work. So I bit the bullet and bought a new heritage one. This is it built up with new rubber, cones and high lows.

I was nearly ready to move house at this point, so I decided not to start on the roof just yet.

I rented a van when we moved house. It didn't fit...

Seven months and 5 cars later, I've finaly got it home.

I've been hording parts over the summer. Among other things I've got a nice set of brand new Yoki A539s to go on the Cosmics (from somebody on here), a complete brand new MK 1 Metro cooling system and this all the way from New Zealand:

That's the toyota SC12 charger I'm using. More to come when I get my other clubby bodged though an MOT. I can't have another summer without a mini!

Edited by John on 9th Dec, 2008.

John

10020 Posts
Mongo

Edited by John on 8th Dec, 2008.

apbellamy

16540 Posts

I wish John would stop logging in here on my laptop......

On 8th Dec, 2008 minimadmotorman said:

I am the king of inacuracy....

On 8th Dec, 2008 spanner181187 said:
+0.020" to be even more annoying

*hehe!*

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

top work on the shell, how did you repair the roof corner?

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Thanks. I only learned to weld a bit over a year a go, so this one is my learner.

That is just a small sample of the roof holes. The biggest one is where the webastard sun roof was. I'm going to replace the whole roof skin. In theory it's just another panel with seams... The inner A post top corner will be getting replaced with one from a car I broke up, same sort of principle as a scuttle corner.

On 8th Dec, 2008 joeybaby83 said:
top work on the shell, how did you repair the roof corner?

*hehe!*

apbellamy

16540 Posts

I've spent most of christmas in the garage splitting and rebuilding engines *happy*

As a result i have a gear box left over for this project:

mmm... Jack Knight straight cut...

Also been cocking about with a gauge bracket I got of ebay the other week. I didn't want one of those crappy plastic chavvy things that there are hundreds of. This one is a bit different.

I'm going to mount it here, I just need to make a bracket and weld it to the top metal rail.

Not the final gauges, just some for mock up. I won't be having an ash tray. That should save a few grams...

*hehe!*

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

I like the gauges. keep up the good work

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

rover p5b coupe guage pod ,same as mine !! nice job .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Allways good to know where stuff came from. They need a bit of a clean, but I think they look the mut's nuts. Better than some flimsy thing from Japan...

On 29th Dec, 2008 robert said:
rover p5b coupe guage pod ,same as mine !! nice job .

*hehe!*

James_H

3692 Posts
Formally mini_majic

Auckland, New Zealand

On 29th Dec, 2008 apbellamy said:
Allways good to know where stuff came from. They need a bit of a clean, but I think they look the mut's nuts. Better than some flimsy thing from Japan...

Flimsy = Light!! *happy*

apbellamy

16540 Posts

With the amount of extra metal I'me putting into this car, a couple of grams of plastic won't make that much difference *happy*

On 29th Dec, 2008 James_H said:

Flimsy = Light!! *happy*

*hehe!*

apbellamy

16540 Posts

On 8th Dec, 2008 apbellamy said:

So the spec is/will be:

MG Metro 1275 Engine with +20,000 over bore.
Kent 276 Cam (in the block already)
MED stage 3 head with chambers machined out to get the CR down to about 8.5:1.
Toyota SC12 Super Charger *happy*
Custom Pulleys to get the charger running 12PSi *happy*
MK 1 Metro cooling system with 9" kenlowe style fan
Mega Jolt
Maniflow 2" twin box side exit exhaust.

The engine spec has changed slightly. I have swapped minimadmotorman the MG short block for a low comp (9.4:1) standard 1275 with an N/A MG Metro Cam ready to go in it.

The MG engine was something daft like 10.3:1, so getting the ratio down low enough for 12psi of blow would have been expensive. The new engine is known good and with my head given the Benross treastment it will do 8:1.

*hehe!*

Carl

2924 Posts
Member #: 95
Post Whore

liverpool-on-sea

good work, keep it up!

no longer a series, but still 1.3 turbo.

On 28th Nov, 2008 Sprocket said:
Oh now that is a long shaft you have Carl.

apbellamy

16540 Posts

I've been doing a lot of thinking recently. Getting it straight in my head where things should go and how I will do this and that. I'm now 100% settled on the spec and how I want to build the car. *tongue*

One of the things that I've decided is to loose the radiator gubbins in the passenger inner wing. I'm going front mount rad and I'll be having quite a busy bulkhead, so more places to mount things will be usefull.

I'm going to remove the radiator cowling, cut out the vented area and weld in some sheet steel. This will leave me two nice big inner wings to play with. Dry stuff on the drivers side (do dah for the starter, EDIS etc) and wet stuff on the passenger side (FPR, Coolant tank, screen wash etc). That way I can leave the loom as it is and just add stuff to make everything work... in theory...

Last night I went with John (MiniMadMotorMan) to look at some parts localy, and had a moment of temptation that I couldn't resist *surprised* So I've been back with cash tonight and this is the end result:

Four eyes!

I will only have to make a notch in the inner wing for one of the adjusters and they will bolt straight on. Smashing! I've always had a thing for clubbys with twin headlights.

It does mean I'm going to have to fabrictae/bodge a new grill, but that should be fun :)

It will also mean that my front mount rad will be central and that the fresh air vents should still fit with a bit of trimming.

The big question is... Can any of you 'experts' and old boys guess what they are from??

Think 70's *smiley*

*hehe!*

GaryOS

1424 Posts
Member #: 2810
Formally spanner181187

Dublin, Ireland

Corolla KE70?

On 12th Nov, 2009 Paul S said:

I think Gary OS has taken over my role as the forum smart arse *happy*

On 30th Apr, 2010 Rod S said:
Gary's description is best

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Nope!

On 20th Jan, 2009 spanner181187 said:
Corolla KE70?

*hehe!*

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

Capri?

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

John

10020 Posts
Mongo

I know!

Home > Show Us Yours! > Andy's build thread - 1275GTS
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: