Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Andy's build thread - 1275GTS

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Santa has been good to me this year.

A Vmax Scart 274 Cam and a nice set of isky followers. Apparently there's also a fist full of minispares vouchers in the post. :)

I've finally managed to find sometime to work on this car. More bodgy rot repairs, but I suppose it's got to be done...

So tomorrow what's left of the roof is coming of. Can't wait to see what horrors are under that...

I've been getting a bit pissed of with myself as I have been ignoring this car completly. The odd half day every three of four months isn't going to get it finished. So I've set myself a deadline of Spring 2011 to get it on the road. I don't think I have the time or the cash to get it done any quicker. That said, her indoors is nagging for kids (still) so anything could happen.

I'd like to get the shell repairs/modifications done by the end of feb if I can.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

apbellamy

16540 Posts
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

*evil*

i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

turbominivanman

1105 Posts
Member #: 1504
Post Whore

Westbury, Wiltshire

Shit Andy.

That's serious !

Good job mate.

You gonna replace with carbon or steel ? Sikaflex or weld ?

Richard.

Minivanless, but reluctantly happy living with the decision. There'll be another one day.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=minimadmotorman#p/u

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Steel all the way! Fiberglass is gay. The metro van currently has a brand new heritage roof skin sat on top of it waiting to go on this. There's a fair bit of grinding, cleaning and painting to do before it goes on, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

I bought a spot welder specifcally for this job. I've been putting it of since April 2008. The theory is it's no harder than a wing, but I think it needs a bit more thought and prep as it has to be done right!

*hehe!*

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

what that cam like? similare tot he kent 274i or scarts own profile?

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Scart's own I belive. Quite a lumpy idle, described as being good for a weekend/racer car. Sounds good to me *smiley*

*hehe!*

EssexSteve

556 Posts
Member #: 7029
Post Whore

Wickford Essex

Nice work mate , keep up the good work and the piccies comming please !

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Over the last couple of weeks I've spent 20+ hours freesing my ass of in the garage, but I think the end result is worth it.

*happy*

In theory the shell is now solid and I could send it off for paint, but I don't want to do that...

I wonder what's lurking under the oversills...

*hehe!*

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

christ get those oversills off and see what you've got to deal with now!

apbellamy

16540 Posts

If you look in the pic's you'll see a rather large stack of panels waiting to go on. There's a nice new pair of genuine short sills in there. The floors are good so I don't think there's too many problems lurking, just the usual MOT bodgery

*hehe!*

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 17th Jan, 2010 apbellamy said:
I wonder what's lurking under the oversills...

In the worst case, nothing, no metal, just iron oxide........

Get them off ASAP to see, be carefull with grinding the lower welds as you could damage a perfectly good floor.

Otherwise looking good apart from those rather gay holes in the rear parcel shelf - please tell me they are for weight loss and not for "ICE" *happy*

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

best_stig

453 Posts
Member #: 6449

Brisbane, Australia

Looks a lot more complete with the roof on.
And looked easier to put on than i thought itd be.

I was picturing tabs and spot welds everywhere. Looks well neat.

In boost we trust

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Thanks. 18.5 hours of the 20 was prep! Welding it on was straight forward, but I now have one arm larger than the other and a quite stiff upper body...

Yes Rod, it will be getting some speakers. It's a road car and I like my music. It was a donor car's parcel shelf so I had to use what was available. That said, I will be investing in some hole cutters and flaring tools so the shelf will be getting some more metal removed. I'd like to try and loose about 30 - 40KGs from the car. I weighed a heater yesterday - 5KG. So that's 6KG of my target.

The oversills are barely welded on so won't take much getting off.

*hehe!*

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

i replied earlier but my post cant have worked properly,

roof looks good mate well done,

i will ask you to reconsider ditching the heater though i did and in went back in not long after.. from a safety point of view you cant see shit out the windows when its cold...

good luck fixing the over sill problem too usually nothing but rot left after they have been bodged on *angry*

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Thanks Brett.

The heater is going. It's only going to be a summer car. A foam demister pad weighs considerably less that the heater. A fair point if it was a daily drive though.

*hehe!*

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Over sills are the root of all evil, so I've made a start sorting mine out.

Could have been worse. While I was there I redid some of my previous attempts at repairs...

I've been out tonight to make a start on repairing some more MOT bodgery on the drivers floor pan.

Turns out the MOT man had welded a patch onto some body filler. *oh well*

With Bingley just round the corner I thought it would be best to see what panels I need to buy. So I've had a dig at the filler in the rear quarters. Passenger side was 1/8" deep 3/4 of the way up the panel even though it's not dented or rusty *oh well*

The drivers side was a tottaly different story. It was over a 1/4" deep!

Under the filler was a big rusty crease going half way round the arch. It's had a bump up the back at somepoint followed by a very bad repair. Explains why the boot lid doesn't sit flush at that side.

So if you see a Tall bloke in a TM T-shirt at bingley carrying a rear quarter panel, say hello *smiley*

*hehe!*

Oli

1733 Posts
Member #: 1910
Post Whore

Wilts

Top work going on here!

When you hoping to have it done by?

On 15th Jul, 2009 fastcarl said:
the pissed up clown stood back up, did a twirl and left bollock naked,

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Thanks. About 2 years ago!

I had planned to get the body work done by the end of Feb, but there's no chance of that now. All being well it will be on the road for the 2011 Drag Racing season.

*hehe!*

minimole23

4301 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Its getting there. Looks like you had a lucky escape with the oversills!

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

apbellamy

16540 Posts

I think the drivers side sill will be worse, but there's still plenty to do...

*hehe!*

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

nice, getting to the bottom of things..

I have ordered a SC 265 cam.. just waiting for the re-grind...

Good luck with the build

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Cheers Gr4h4m. Say hello if you see me at Bingley, would be good to meet you.

Will be interesting to see what differnce the cam makes to your engine.

*hehe!*

gr4h4m

4890 Posts
Member #: 1775
Post Whore

Chester

Yep I'm at Bingley getting all of the bits to put the car back together...

I run a supercharger and I don't care the TB is on the wrong side.
VEMS + 12 PSI + Liquid Intercooler = Small Bore FUN!

TomBooth

299 Posts
Member #: 2814

Mansfield - Notts

Cars looking great Andy, getting there!

I'll be at Bingley, need to buy a few bits and pieces for mine for when I re-fit my engine.

apbellamy

16540 Posts

Got the passenger side finished today.

All the cavaties have 2 coats of POR15, so hopefuly no more rust *smiley*

More of the same on the other side I guess...

Edited by apbellamy on 14th Feb, 2010.

*hehe!*

Home > Show Us Yours! > Andy's build thread - 1275GTS
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: