Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > My new project car

miniminor63

1849 Posts
Member #: 672
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

he he, I am currently drawing the restrictor I need to use due to class regulations. It seems a shame to restrict the turbo inlet on this engine where things otherwise are optimised... The compressor wheel is 50 mm, while the restrictor need to be 34 mm. Its the same relationship as they use in international rallycross though, so should be alright.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

All I will say is ............ WRC > Restrictors > Toyota > wink wink *wink* *wink*

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

miniminor63

1849 Posts
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

He he, its a complex thing though!

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/Egil_01/DSC_0003.jpg

When they've bothered bulleting the nut, why haven't they blended in the throud on the outside of the compressor intake... I guess there are some hp there *wink*

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

miniminor63

1849 Posts
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

its because of my rather small compressor wheel in the relatively large housing. It is not as bad as it looks, and I dont think it will have much influence, as the air that close to the compressor will be somewhat disturbed anyway I am led to believe.

miniminor63

1849 Posts
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

some pics of turbo internals:

As you can see the turbine wheel is not as I described earlier. It is only constant OD on the larger turbos they have.

miniminor63

1849 Posts
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

which manifold would you opt for?

Primary length should be around 540, the rear one have 520 and the side one 650.

side one will be much tidier placementwise, but the downpipe will be a challenge. Intercooler piping will me MUCH nicer. The rear one also will mean a raised bonnet/scoop to let cold air in.

and a picture to show the box the pipes would be in if I opt for the rear mounted option.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Performance wise, I think that the side mount pipes are a bit on the long side to suit your sprint cams, so prefer rear mounted.

Weight distribution wise, then rear mount is better.

Only down side to the rear mount is the heat issue, both with regard to bodywork and the compressor.

On balance, given your engine spec and intended use, then i would go rear mounted.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

miniminor63

1849 Posts
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

thanks Paul!

I don't care about some brown paintwork here, and I think that also could be avoided by some heatshielding, heat wrap and a wrapping on the turbine housing, BUT I don't like the compressor side and outlet pipes getting cooked, and it would mean long intercooler piping routes. I guess if I make a scoop to hide the turbo where it will protrude through the bonnet I might also make that in such a way that it will pick up and force air into the bulkhead box and avoid hot stationary air inside that. Would that work?

That said, the sidemounted option would also spread a lot of heat under the bonnet, as both the primaries and the downpipe would need to be long to fit...

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

We have a similar issue on our Miglia, with the inlet plenum in the bulkhead box. We've cut 5 holes in the front and 6 holes along the rear of the bonnet to keep air moving in the engine bay.

Once we get all the sensors rigged up, we should be able to see if that is enough.

At least on yours, the disadvantageous heat is pre intercooler.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Jesus! that things Huge!

And I thought I had the monopoly on oversize turbos,

Also I'd go for the 2nd manifold, easier to make, and I think better from an expansion point of view too.

On 23rd Aug, 2011 miniminor63 said:
some pics of turbo internals:

As you can see the turbine wheel is not as I described earlier. It is only constant OD on the larger turbos they have.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

On 26th Aug, 2011 miniminor63 said:
I guess if I make a scoop to hide the turbo where it will protrude through the bonnet I might also make that in such a way that it will pick up and force air into the bulkhead box and avoid hot stationary air inside that. Would that work?

Might be worth having a look at this thread:

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=8799

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

miniminor63

1849 Posts
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

On 27th Aug, 2011 Joe C said:
Jesus! that things Huge!

And I thought I had the monopoly on oversize turbos,

Also I'd go for the 2nd manifold, easier to make, and I think better from an expansion point of view too.

Well, it is only made to start working from 4500 upwards :) . Just upping the powerband that I already had really. I guess we will be on the surge limit, but I don't think it will be a problem. These triple ball bearing thingys spin up real easy too.

Paul R

4018 Posts
Member #: 1757
Back to Fucking Tool status

Swindon

Its been a while since i have had a gander through this, hows the progress going?

Drives
-Ford S-max Mk2 Ecoboost
-Rover 100 VVC #2 - track project

Searching is all you need on TurboMinis

miniminor63

1849 Posts
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

no progress as I am building a new workshop and renewing the house this Autumn.

miniminor63

1849 Posts
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

No more progress as planned on this as the race regulations have just been changed with immediate effect, making my car illegal. The turbo might be sold, PM me if interested.

george91

1083 Posts
Member #: 8932
Post Whore

Damn shame, whats the new rules? Is it a forced induction multiplier or something?

Edited by george91 on 5th Jan, 2012.

miniminor63

1849 Posts
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

Minimum weigth of 950 kg... Not dependant on engine...

george91

1083 Posts
Member #: 8932
Post Whore

What! Thats dumb, so the whole car is useless for that series, is there not another where you can use it as planned?

mw3

684 Posts
Member #: 9590
Post Whore

Derby

What head are you going to be using?

The build looks awesome!

Matt W

On 14th Mar, 2012 mw3 said:
Got a nice big delivery from Carl at Force Racing today.

minimole23

4302 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Thats a real shame, this car would have been a killer with serious power.

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

miniminor63

1849 Posts
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

There is no other series in Norway where it would fit/be allowed so the plans are changed. It will be a Na 5 port engine and it will be used for 4 hour endurance racing instead.

I was going to use the K1100 headed engine I made 133 at the hubs with in NA trim, just converting it to run on E85 and wack the turbo on more or less

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

What a royal fuck over!!

They must have seen you coming and shit themselves *wink*

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

cossierick

3074 Posts
Member #: 1348
Post Whore

wakefield West Yorks

Thats a massige bummer. I bet your gutted.

How far did you get with the manifold/plenum etc for the project.

Can you not use it in the k1100 na format then??

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

Looks like the 16v lump will end up back in the mk1 then?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

Home > Show Us Yours! > My new project car
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: