Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > mini build

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Index

Page - info

2, rear arches tubbed
3, flat boot floor, wellers, pistons, gearset!!
4, dash started, box prep started
5, dash, front lowering secrets
6, rods, fuel lines, rear subframe mods, engine build
7, ECU, turbo downpipe
8, manifold work
9, bonnet
10+11, intercooler, bonnet
13, diffuser
15, data logs, needle profiling
17, ported wastegate, super large radiator
18, super large radiator continued...
19, needle position logger, engine sale
20, vtec build starts
26.aload of smoke and mirrors?

well after being away from my mini for almost a year, i am begining to miss it, i have had my fun with my supra and its drinking habits,

my mini's history, i first bought the mini 7th july 2004, from then on i spent 4 months stripping and rebuilding, i finaly hit the road on the 28th, jan 2005 with an awsome looking mini, nicely restored, looked the part wink.gif, i spent the remaining of 2006 enjoying the shows, and i had cought the bug *surprised* june time 2006 i bought a complete 300mile old metro turbo engine, spent the best part of a year gathering the know how from turbominis and the parts when in may 2007 my mini broke down for the first time, it started to lose compression on 3rd (buggered valve) so i decided it was time to Finnish what i had started.
By this time my mini had turned into a road going project and ended up being 3 different colours, so in went the newly rebuilt 1293 turbo lump, a couple of weeks bedding in and a good tune up, i was ready to go however the mini was not.
Far from being finished, with a half finished flip front i was determined not to miss out on all the fun down at the pod for 2007's mini in the park, but 63 miles into my trip down (yes i am sad enought to remember) the head gasket went, and for some reason witch i still dont understand i got RAC'ed all the way to santapod?? anyway after a bodged repair i ended up on the RAC truck on the way back also, since then my mini has sat in the corner of my garden waiting to be let out to play, i then realised i am sat waiting for my dreams to float by but instead i bought one of my dream cars, a Supra, at first is insane power scared me but i soon learnt to tame it the problem being i started to modify (again *frown* funded by the sale of my mini's engine *surprised*) and this time the parts are 10 time the price, so i have decided to relieve my modifying tendencies on my mini..

And Thus..Let the Fun Begin *happy*

i started to strip out the interior today (if you can call it that as there is no interior anyway), unbolted every thing, ready for a good strip down and spray up, this is the start of my project i hope to keep it up dated weekly

Attachments:

Edited by Brett on 5th Jun, 2020.

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

well thats about what it looked like when i re started this project and yes it did get mot'd like that *happy*

theres more to follow im getting there*happy*

[img][/img]
behind the front shock mounts, i ground it out with a little grinding wheel, painted it with hamerite then plated over now its painted you can barely tell

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Edited by Brett on 17th Jan, 2009.

Instagram @jdm_brett

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

i have not really taken any other decent pics been too cold to do much but so far i have:

*removed the inner bins both sides,
*cut back the rear seat,
*trimmed up around the door mountings seam welded down the 2 panels that join there i will be having removable a panels so i have also strengthened the door mounts,
*fresh air vent gone as they just chucked in water*happy*
*front shock mounts plated up,
*tidied up the old inner wings or rather where they was attached to,
*ground down the seem welds i did a couple of years ago under the car (floor pans, sills) i am going to try dig out the pics i took when i did the sills, but i replaced with over sills "to stop the water getting in" however now i know why the vents was there and wish i had used genuine sills
*the front, rear subframe mounts was strengthened last time round aswell ready for the beam conversion but im not taking that route now..

Edited by Brett on 14th Jan, 2009.

Instagram @jdm_brett

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

any ways lol ill start half way through *happy*

i placed an order friday last week half at mini spares and half at mini sport,
any way the mini spares lot has turned up:)

There is gaz adjustable dampers
hight adjusters (cheap hilo)
mini spares red det cones
fully adjustable tie bars
fully adjustable bottom arms and bushes for both

and a set of 7.5 inch disks and pads for the clubby

cant wait to get them on the car, at the minute i have just dropped the rear subby, to do a little plating around the boot and to tub the arches, the subby itself was new 3 months before it came off the road so it will be cleaned up lightened abit (i feel left out lol) then painted and rebuilt with new every thing, whilst its out the rear bar will be raised right up to the boot floor to make some space up back and to hide it as i have no rear valance

Attachments:

Instagram @jdm_brett

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Member #: 719
Post Whore

Horndean - Near Portsmouth

Nice one Brett, looks like you're making a proper job of this!! Sounds like it will be very nice when done.

I see you've managed to get all the sound deadening off the floor pan, thats the hardest part of the project so it's all plain sailing from now on!! :)

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

On 14th Jan, 2009 richminiturbo. said:
Nice one Brett, looks like you're making a proper job of this!! Sounds like it will be very nice when done.

I see you've managed to get all the sound deadening off the floor pan, thats the hardest part of the project so it's all plain sailing from now on!! :)

yep did that back in my school days when i should have been doing home work*happy*
they chassis is probably not the best to start with, alot of corners cut when i was younger but it really is solid just alot of patches, it was my first car so it stays the rest at the minute is money no object (untill our lass finds out*surprised* )

Instagram @jdm_brett

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

What's going on with the floor pan?

Own the day

theoneeyedlizard

7260 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Where's the cross member gone?

In the 13's at last!.. Just

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Looking good Brett.

Are you going to fit the SPi motor that we dragged through you're back field?

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

On 14th Jan, 2009 theoneeyedlizard said:
Where's the cross member gone?

that just had to go... lol i could not get my seat in the position i felt comfortable with so it went, another corner cut when i was younger, the plan was to build a "floor cage" around the floor tie-ing into the front/rear and rear/front subframe mounts then to build a cage up from that, but i decided the cage should be removeable,

On 14th Jan, 2009 apbellamy said:
Looking good Brett.

Are you going to fit the SPi motor that we dragged through you're back field?
*Yes* although id call it more a lake/ ice rink atm lol

it will be going in carbed up atm, then turbo later unless i can get my hands on a good running T2 for not alot of cash.

john might have told you i almost bought his spi gear aswell i was going to do a fuel injected turbo but after toying with the idea and a trawl through the efi section i decided against it save that for next time lol

i want to get the chassis built solid so i can focus on developing the engine

:)

Instagram @jdm_brett

Ben.

628 Posts
Member #: 1064
Formally Whyte_ben

Horndean, Hampshire

Cool mate, looks good so far!

Build Thread Click Here

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Good luck with the project!

Edited by John on 14th Jan, 2009.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Richie

3184 Posts
Member #: 628
Post Whore

a LIL fishing village on the coast - Newcastle Upon Tyne

you may want to re think how you have mounted the lines, the bit where it rolls over the seat pan edge will cause issues with rubbing, and you will have further problems at the gearstick end too. i would recomend putting h pipes through the heel board (under the seat) but make sure you use rubber grommets. this will also look much tidy'er too. then the same at the bulkhead end. just an opinion, but you are risking it with the current setup IMHO.

Richie

TRADERS OF SHAME
1 user....pm me 4 details

LEGENDS
MikeRace, Mini13

On 17th Aug, 2009 Jay#2 said:
I doubt I'll be dipping into the 13's like you did though!

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

The reason I ask about the floor pan is it loks tha the entire front end has been cut out and replaced*surprised*

Own the day

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

On 14th Jan, 2009 Richie said:
you may want to re think how you have mounted the lines, the bit where it rolls over the seat pan edge will cause issues with rubbing, and you will have further problems at the gearstick end too. i would recomend putting h pipes through the heel board (under the seat) but make sure you use rubber grommets. this will also look much tidy'er too. then the same at the bulkhead end. just an opinion, but you are risking it with the current setup IMHO.

Richie

yes you are quite right Richie the fuel lines rubbed groves into the seat pan and also shows signs of rubbing on the fuel lines this time round im liking the solid copper lines approach, the over braided stuff was ptfe lined plastic tubes made it a twat to work with, wont be used again lol

On 14th Jan, 2009 Mr Joshua said:
The reason I ask about the floor pan is it loks tha the entire front end has been cut out and replaced*surprised*

yes both the foot well pans was replaces when i did the sills last time round, mr mot man put the jack under the drivers side and it bent up bad making it undrivable and the passengers side was badly rusted so they both dot changed, its quite common is it not? the seam is usualy hiden by the crosmember

Instagram @jdm_brett

Richie

3184 Posts
Member #: 628
Post Whore

a LIL fishing village on the coast - Newcastle Upon Tyne

yeah i used 8mm copper micro bore and plastic P clips. if running the lines inside keep them central in the car ie up the tunnel this will offer more protection from ruptures if you are involved in a side impact.

TRADERS OF SHAME
1 user....pm me 4 details

LEGENDS
MikeRace, Mini13

On 17th Aug, 2009 Jay#2 said:
I doubt I'll be dipping into the 13's like you did though!

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

well im still waiting for my brakes from mini sport :( sent them 4 emails now no reply, i wanna re order else where but it will be just my luck for them to charge and send them the next day

Instagram @jdm_brett

Coupe

998 Posts
Member #: 2178
Post Whore

Leyland, Lancs

On 16th Jan, 2009 Brett said:
well im still waiting for my brakes from mini sport :( sent them 4 emails now no reply, i wanna re order else where but it will be just my luck for them to charge and send them the next day

Don't email them - phone them, you'll get a response.

On 15th Jul, 2009 fastcarl said:
a breif struggle ensued but Will emerged the victor with a pair of undies in his possesion

On 21st Sep, 2009 apbellamy said:
No, but you did chuck your guts up over my front gate the Saturday before! You even managed to get a bit in your arm pit...

James_H

3692 Posts
Member #: 1833
Formally mini_majic

Auckland, New Zealand

yeap i was waiting for 4 weeks for mine and the only contact i had from them was when i phoned them.

GaryOS

1424 Posts
Member #: 2810
Formally spanner181187

Dublin, Ireland

Minisport are utter shite. I placed an order for 2 front indicators and lenses, a bumber and a grille and it took 8 weeks. Oh, and they forgot one of the indicators but didn't bother to tell me

Cancel the order and ring KAD *happy*

On 12th Nov, 2009 Paul S said:

I think Gary OS has taken over my role as the forum smart arse *happy*

On 30th Apr, 2010 Rod S said:
Gary's description is best

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

A mate of mine ran his lines inside a metal tube which ran through the crossmember on the near side of the car.

Own the day

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

managed to chase up the order from mini sport,
the brake lines are in stock,
he pads aswell,
the discs are on order and
the callipers are not yet made, although the engineer knows there are a couple of sets on order?? joke or what?
im in no rush tbh, but an email saying your order is out of stock or a phone call or even a note on the web site would have been nice after all 500quid they dont deserve?

Instagram @jdm_brett

James_H

3692 Posts
Member #: 1833
Formally mini_majic

Auckland, New Zealand

i got the same story mate...."they are currently in CNC at the moment" that was after two weeks.

3 weeks i got

" they are at the anodisers"

then i gave up forgot about them for a while. and they turned up after 4

Brett

9502 Posts
Post Whore

just gave, minisport another call, as i still have no parts and i am waiting for my rear brake setup now, its been almost a month and they are still waiting to be anodised....although i can have the purple calipers now... my colour scheme is black and yellow :-

Instagram @jdm_brett

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

keep batting on bret you will get there when the weather breakes

Home > Show Us Yours! > mini build
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password: