Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - Take Three

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Carrying on from Jean's thread about the new code.

Log of AFRs etc at part load attached.

We will do some more next wekend, weather permitting. Hopefully get full throttle sorted.

Attachments:

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

And another one:

Attachments:

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Do you have any acceleration enrichment set? And if so, does it get triggered? That could throw things off if there are false events (or even real ones).

By the way, I haven't done anything about it so transients behaviour is undetermined at this point.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

No acceleration enrichment set at the moment. Just trying to baseline with a simple set of rules.

It does lean off if you stamp on the throttle, so we need to do something.

The reson that I'm not showing any full throttle logs is that we have a rouge value in the timing table at 90kPA MAP and 4000 rpm what should have been 150 degrees was only 15 degrees. So at anything above 3000 rpm and 80kPA MAP went very lean at the outer cylinders. Unfortuntaly did not find out until everything was packed away and we were running the MS on the stim to check settings.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Also, the reason that the AFRs are a bit on the lean side is that we had to reduce the fueling to the inner cylinders by 30-40% to get them close !!!

We need to increase the Req_Fuel to compensate.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

30-40%!!! That's huge. Could it be that the timing of the outer cylinders is off and you're actually fueling the inner cylinders from the outer cylinders pulse?

What happens if you increase or decrease timing? Again, if you put the timing of the inner cylinders 180 degrees out (instead of same timing), it will make it easier to set the correct timing for the outer cylinders. With them only 180 degrees apart, it could be possible that the end of the inner cylinder pulse feeds the outer cylinder and vice-versa which will make it tough to establish the correct timing.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

We tried shifting the timing from around 90 to 180 degrees BTDC for the mid pulse. The best settings at full thrittle are in the region of 140-160 degrees BTDC.

I have some calculations that back up figures of this magnitude.

I want to stick with firing into the open valve for now. Shifting the timing of the inner cylinders back 180 degrees puts us back to where we were with the semi-sequential setup.

We need to re-calibrate the sensors and do some more runs. Probably adjust the timing now that the AFRs are closer. If we can get the inners to run lean, we can add some more fuel back in.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

That sounds good. At this point, you certainly have more experience than I do so I'm pretty much just a back seat driver (and probably as useful) :)

Have you posted the calculations to come up with the approximate timing? If not, that would be interesting to see.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The good thing is that the code has sufficient flexibilty to make things work.

Every change of timing or VE shows on the AFR meters.

I'll update my injection timing spreadsheet and post for comment later.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The attached spreadsheet shows a method of calculating the injection timing points.

It is based on Marcel's work detailed on his website.

http://www.starchak.ca/efi/speed.htm

It assumes an average port velocity through a single stroke of 180 degrees, hence is an approximation.

Enjoy.

EDIT: Calcs removed after errors found. I'll post the revised calcs later.

Edited by Paul S on 1st Mar, 2009.

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

Are those the values with the new ve rates? In the 1.5-3k range we are using injection timing rates close to the spreadsheet.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes, I recalculated it this morning using the actual VE values for the outer cylinders.

Interestingly, if i reduce the VE, as we have done for the inner cylinders, it means that you need more injection timing advance to get the fuel in before overlapping with the outer cylinders.

We should consider invoking the second injection timing table and advancing it, say 30-40 degrees to see if that helps.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Paul,

I have been wondering how well the engine starts with the code. Do you have to crank for a while?

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Jean,

Probably just a couple of crank revs more than with the original code, but no real noticeable difference.

It synchs straight away.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Still struggling to get the inner cylinders to run at the same AFR as the outers at wide open throttle.

Adjusting the injection timing point to the optimum brings them closer than with the semi-sequential code.

If we reduce the VE for the inner cylinders, both the inner and outer cylinders run leaner.

I think that it is due to wall wetting which may be exagerated by the spray type injectors.

It's fine at low load, but as soon as the pulse width goes above a certain value, the inners run rich.

I'm now going to fit some pencil stream injectors and run more tests.

Edited by Paul S on 28th Feb, 2009.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

What duty are you running at?
Can you up (or lower) the fuel pressure to see if the wetting occurs at the same RPM , or if it is more duty-clcle (pulses merging) related?

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Significant difference on the new injectors.

They are slightly smaller at 375 cc/min.

The optimum mid-pulse timing advance at idle is 40 degrees less.

Haven't been able to do much testing under load as Sturgeo has gone out. Hopefully we will get some time tomorrow to play with the setup.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 28th Feb, 2009 TurboDave said:
What duty are you running at?
Can you up (or lower) the fuel pressure to see if the wetting occurs at the same RPM , or if it is more duty-clcle (pulses merging) related?

I could lower the fuel pressure, but the pulses may merge at high revs as they will have to be bigger.

Pulse widths are below 5ms which is the equivalent of 180 degrees crank angle at 6000 rpm. So the pulses should not merge.

I think that makes the duty less than 25%.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

What value are you using for the opening time? If this is not correct, the actual fuel timing is somewhat affected but more importantly, the fueling is not affected as you would think when updating the VE table(s).

If it's too long even with a very small VE value you will still get a significant amount of fuel being injected. With the very small pulse widths you're using, if you vary the VE value a certain percentage, the actual fueling will not vary by the same percentage because a significant part of the actual fuel being injected is in the opening time which is constant.

So it might be good to start lowering it if you have not done anything other than use the default 1ms.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 28th Feb, 2009 jbelanger said:
What value are you using for the opening time? If this is not correct, the actual fuel timing is somewhat affected but more importantly, the fueling is not affected as you would think when updating the VE table(s).

If it's too long even with a very small VE value you will still get a significant amount of fuel being injected. With the very small pulse widths you're using, if you vary the VE value a certain percentage, the actual fueling will not vary by the same percentage because a significant part of the actual fuel being injected is in the opening time which is constant.

So it might be good to start lowering it if you have not done anything other than use the default 1ms.

Jean

I'm using 1mS.

I think that's about right because I've just put in the smaller injectors and the calculated Req_fuel is giving the same AFRs as before.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

That sounds good. It should mean that the error, if any, is not significant.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Well, Ive spent another weekend on this and still no nearer.

We start by trying to use injection timing alone to get the AFRs as close as possible. Using the same injection timing for inner and outer cylinders. Also same VE tables for inner and outer cylinders.

Then we trim the VE tables for the inner cylinders to try to lean them out.

Then we adjust the injection timing for the inner and outer cylinders.

But, above 3000 rpm we cannot get them any nearer than they were with the original semi-sequential code.

There is something going on here that we do not understand.

Yours disillusioned.........

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Can you send me your msq? I'd like to have a look on the bench to see if there is something with the code that's not as it should be.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Jean,

Email on it way to you.

I must say that the car is running very well.

We were doing 90mph on the flat. On my private test track, of course.

That's a full weight 998, 9:1 CR with a 2.95 diff at 4500rpm with 25 stone on board.

Takes 60nanas to do 90 which equates to around 75 curley wurleys which would equate to about 75nanas at 5250rpm, assuming a flat torque curve.

Edited by Paul S on 1st Mar, 2009.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

msq received. I'll have a look and report back to you.

It would be very interesting to see what the AFR distribution is on a well tuned high power turbo 5-port engine. It is possible that you're already in a better situation with your current tune.

Of course, if you (we?) can find a way to correct the distribution perfectly, it would be even better. And I don't see how that can't be achieved somehow but it may involve a lot more work.

Jean

Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - Take Three
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: