Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - Take Three

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Not completely ran out of ideas. I'll try the following.

1. Increase the fuel pressure to 4/5 bar and reduce Req_Fuel accordingly.

2. Bring in the other two injectors from idle.

3. Make a new inlet manifold with top mounted injectors away from the heat.

Edited by Paul S on 14th Mar, 2009.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Email me the msq (before you make the changes above, ie, today's msq), I'd like to see how it looks on the JimStim and scope.

I can't see any reason not to temporarily load it to my CPU and see what it does.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Email on it's way to your gmail address.

My .msq will either work or not. You soon know.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Paul,

Maybe one thing to check is if there is an air leak in one of the exhaust branch. If air can get in it will throw the readings off.

Have you tried the single pulse like you wanted? I don't see that it would really correct this but you seemed to think it would help.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

OK, not too scientific yet...

First issue/problem

I can't see the error log as I assume it's on your PC ???
Anyway it loaded after a couple of attempts.

Now 6000 RPM but remember my MAP sensor is at 1 bar (abs) rather than slightly below

First thing I noticed, both injectors are above 5 mSecs

And on the scope

It's now triggered off the cam pulse (I haven't figured out exactly what that angle is yet) and I've set the timebase to one engine cycle (ie, 2 revs).

My first thoughts are the two pulses are so close, they may as well be one and the combined length is a lot more than 1 rev, ie, the average duty is quite a bit over 25% irrespective of the timing.

But I'll be able to look and display this so much better when the USB scope Jean recommended arrives !!!

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I've noticed you have your pulses set to timing tables (which I expected) but trigger point, mid pulse...... What was your logic as you are spreading the timing both forwards and backwards.

Not important at the moment, just makes it harder to figure out where the cam pulse is !!!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 14th Mar, 2009 jbelanger said:
Paul,

Maybe one thing to check is if there is an air leak in one of the exhaust branch. If air can get in it will throw the readings off.

Have you tried the single pulse like you wanted? I don't see that it would really correct this but you seemed to think it would help.

Jean

Jean,

There are no air leaks as far as I'm aware although I'll check.

I have not tried the single pulse. I don't really think it will make much difference. As Rod's scope has shown, the pulses are quite close.

Rod,

I'm not surprised at the high pulse width. Req-Fuel is 4.8 with the smaller injectors. VE in the table is close to 100%. Maybe the little extra is due to low voltage correction.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 14th Mar, 2009 Rod S said:
I've noticed you have your pulses set to timing tables (which I expected) but trigger point, mid pulse...... What was your logic as you are spreading the timing both forwards and backwards.

Not important at the moment, just makes it harder to figure out where the cam pulse is !!!

I chose mid-pulse timing so that when injectors were changed for larger or smaller, it should not be necessary to adjust the timing table. That assumes that you can configure the timing to an optimum setting, which I have not been able to do so far.

It is not that important to understand where the cam pulse is. My understanding is that the cam pulse just resets a flag in the code to tell the procesor which injector to fire.

I was swinging my cam sensor around this afternoon to check that it was well away from the spark/injection timing. I now have it set so that it is mid way between the points at which the engine starts to run rough.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

The reason for my wanting to know where the cam pulse is (from the JimStim in this case) is because I want to be able to redraw the injector pulses on a graph of valve openning.

Where it actually occurs on the engine is irrelevant (as you say) so long as it's within Jean's parameters to make the reset occur correctly.

But a good start would be if I could superimposed the inlet valve "pulses" on top of the scope photo.

I think this will help us understand the mixture distribution if we can estimate things like transit time down the port.

Does that make sense ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Now 6000 RPM but remember my MAP sensor is at 1 bar (abs) rather than slightly below

First thing I noticed, both injectors are above 5 mSecs

And on the scope

Now I always though that the pulse width given in MT was the effective pulse width plus the opening time.

Clearly from the above, the pulse width shown in MT is the effective pulse width alone.

So as with your own test Rod, the pulse widths are much higher. Can you check the voltage correction?

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

What is reported in MT is the commanded pulse width, i.e., the duration of the electrical signal to the injector. So this includes the open time. If the scope is set at 2ms per division, it matches the MT displayed values.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The reason for my wanting to know where the cam pulse is (from the JimStim in this case) is because I want to be able to redraw the injector pulses on a graph of valve openning.

Where it actually occurs on the engine is irrelevant (as you say) so long as it's within Jean's parameters to make the reset occur correctly.

But a good start would be if I could superimposed the inlet valve "pulses" on top of the scope photo.

I think this will help us understand the mixture distribution if we can estimate things like transit time down the port.

Does that make sense ???

I have calculated the transit time and plotted the injection pulses and valve opening on a piece of graph paper.

BUT, if I set the injection timing to the theory then it runs poorly. There is far more to this than pure transit time. There are pulses that screw it all up.

Plus when the first injefctor fires, the port is static. But you need to fire the second pulse just as the inlet valve opens on the inner cylinder just to get the fuel into the outer cylinder in time. I believe that this is why changing a setting for one affects the other.

Up to 3500 rpm I can get the AFRs equal with an inection timing of 115 degrees before TDC for each pulse. Above 3500 rpm something is preventing me from getting more of the fuel into the outer cylinders and less into the inners.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

What is reported in MT is the commanded pulse width, i.e., the duration of the electrical signal to the injector. So this includes the open time. If the scope is set at 2ms per division, it matches the MT displayed values.

Jean

Of course. Sorry, it's been another hard day.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

I would really spread the pulses apart. If you have similar pulse widths to what Rod is showing, there isn't enough time to close and reopen the injector and that means you're not in a linear section of the injector behaviour: you don't really know how much fuel you're injecting.

If you have to, you can have widely different settings for injection timing at lower and higher RPM. You seem to have a good setup for RPM under 3500. So keep this but try moving the injection pulses apart higher up to see what that looks like.

Jean

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 14th Mar, 2009 Paul S said:

I have calculated the transit time and plotted the injection pulses and valve opening on a piece of graph paper.

BUT, if I set the injection timing to the theory then it runs poorly. There is far more to this than pure transit time. There are pulses that screw it all up.

Plus when the first injefctor fires, the port is static. But you need to fire the second pulse just as the inlet valve opens on the inner cylinder just to get the fuel into the outer cylinder in time. I believe that this is why changing a setting for one affects the other.

Up to 3500 rpm I can get the AFRs equal with an inection timing of 115 degrees before TDC for each pulse. Above 3500 rpm something is preventing me from getting more of the fuel into the outer cylinders and less into the inners.

Fair enough, it obviously isn't going to be straightforward, but I think plotting the actual pulses (at various RPMs) against actual valve timings, and even then hopefully superimposing AFRs from the widebands, will help progress.

It should be a lot easier once my digital USB thingy arrives, in the meantime, what's your cam timing ???

I want to try and set some graphing up in excel.

BTW, do you know what those two error messages were in your .msq file ???

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

You should be able to get more details about the MT errors if you go in your project directory and look at audit.log.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

what's your cam timing ???

Inlet duration is 248 degrees, on a 12/56.

do you know what those two error messages were in your .msq file ???

I've never seen any errors and cannot find anything in audit.log. I think that the problem is your end. Search you computer for audit.log and open in Notepad.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

If you have to, you can have widely different settings for injection timing at lower and higher RPM. You seem to have a good setup for RPM under 3500. So keep this but try moving the injection pulses apart higher up to see what that looks like.

Jean

Over the last three weekends I've so far use two full tanks of petrol, driving several hundred miles trying to find the optimum settings. A lot of this was in top gear at 4/4500rpm, the only way to get prolonged periods at WOT. Good job I have high gearing and a small engine.

We have tried varying the VE tables and spreading the injection points apart as you suggest.

The best settings that we have found so far are as follows:

Use table previously generated by Autotune on the earlier code for VE Table 1.

Reduce VE Table 1 by 20% for VE Table 2. Increase Req_Fuel by 10% to compensate.

For WOT, 115 Degrees injection advance on both Injection Timing tables up to 3000 rpm. Above that reduce Injection Timing Table 1 to 50 Degrees at 6000 rpm. Maintain Injection Timing Table 2 at 115 Degrees.

Injection Timing values reduced at lower MAP down to 80 Degrees at Idle.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

The audit log thing does seem to by my end...

"Warning Details
---------------

WARNING(02) means that a constant was found in the msq file, but it
does not appear in the current configuration. MegaTune
ignored this value and just threw it away. You can
safely ignore this message it is merely informative.

WARNING(06) means that the constant found in the current configuration
was not found in the file, and thus has not been altered by
the file read. Make sure that the value of the constant
makes sense in the context of the other changes.

C: Program FilesMegaSquirtCar1megasquirt_paul_02.msq:Close"

It looks like something happens if we swap files and our respective MT setups see things as different. When I catch up and send you an .msq you might see the same !!!

It looks like nothing to worry about - well it wasn't as your file loaded and ran OK !!!

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I would really spread the pulses apart. If you have similar pulse widths to what Rod is showing, there isn't enough time to close and reopen the injector and that means you're not in a linear section of the injector behaviour: you don't really know how much fuel you're injecting.

Jean

I think this alludes to my first comment - the two pulses I see on the scope are just too close together.

Now I've only looked on the scope at 6k RPM but I've seen your tables (I briefly looked whilst confirming I had the timebase trigger set the way I wanted) and although the two varied, perhaps worth trying some more as Jean suggests - esp. as your injector duty is over 25% at WOT full power.

Sorry, I may not be thinking straight, but I want to get this graphed properly and need a clear head (ie, tomorrow).

EDIT - I didn't see you had already replied to Jean, must have been while I was typing :)

Edited by Rod S on 14th Mar, 2009.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Rod, remember that what you scope reads is 1mS longer than the period the injector is open.

Also I've never seen pulse widths higher than 5.2 mS in actual use, so I don't see if they could overlap.

If they did overlap, then the engine would run lean and it does not.

To spread the injection points makes no real improvements. If you advance the first pulse the fuel is just sitting longer in the static port. If you retard the second pulse, it misses the outer cylinder and sits in the port and the inner cylinder gets it !!!!!!

*angry* *angry* *angry*

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Right, not exactly at my best at the moment, but I don't think the pulses are overlapping, I just think they are too long, too close together, and the pair seems much greater than the valve opennings.

After you educated me earlier (thanks!) I want to see a duty cycle of 20% or less on each injector.

I'm going to try some lower RPMs in a moment as you say your AFRs were better then.... BUT.... were they WOT at lower RPMs as I can't simulate different MAPs at the moment.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Paul,

I'm sorry I hadn't seen that you had advanced the inside cylinder injection point like you did. And that is what I was intending with my comment. Retarding the outer cylinder injection is pointless as you say.

However, you're mistaken somewhat in your comment to Rod. If the pulses are too close to one another the 1ms of dead time is no longer valid since the injector hasn't had time to fully close before voltage is applied to it again. Then all bets are off as to what the actual dead time is. I would be very wary of anything less than 1ms between pulses and would actually personally prefer to see more unless tests are done to establish what's the safe interval.

Also if the overlap is quite short, you can actually have more fuel than what you'd expect because you get a single 1ms of dead time instead of 2. So overlap, or anything close to it, means unexpected behaviour. Hence my repeated (and unwanted :) ) comments about spreading the pulses.

Jean

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

I'm going to try some lower RPMs in a moment as you say your AFRs were better then.... BUT.... were they WOT at lower RPMs as I can't simulate different MAPs at the moment.

Can't you suck on the MAP nipple? :) :)

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

sounds like the higher fuel pressure may pay off then to shorten the pulse .. how high can it go ,,,70 psi ?what is the inj flow and pressure on the mpi mini?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - Take Three
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: