Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - Take Three

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

The areas where you see the inners go lean are below 3000rpm. I have not spent too much time refining the timing below 3000rpm so far because, as you have pointed out, It is appraent from the logs that it should be relatively easy to sort that out.

I'll do a Megatune log next time out.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Back again...

If I'm reading it right, the most important AFR deviation (outer/inner) is in the second quarter of the log graph which seems to be WOT through the gears.

If you have achieved this improvement by simply moving the two pulses apart by bringing one forwards and moving the other backwards, surely this cries out for shorter "fatter" pulses (ie, bigger injectors, or running your second two in parallel) so you don't have to rely on pushing the timing so far apart ???

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

But you can sort of see something similar around 230s, 235s, 268s and these are all above 3000rpm. So it's worth seeing what's happening to the pulse widths during transitions.

Anyway, even as it is now, this would be a safe setup for a turbo engine even if it's not optimal.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th Mar, 2009 Rod S said:
Back again...

If I'm reading it right, the most important AFR deviation (outer/inner) is in the second quarter of the log graph which seems to be WOT through the gears.

If you have achieved this improvement by simply moving the two pulses apart by bringing one forwards and moving the other backwards, surely this cries out for shorter "fatter" pulses (ie, bigger injectors, or running your second two in parallel) so you don't have to rely on pushing the timing so far apart ???

I would not say it was simple. It took a lot of trial and error to find the optimum. There may be a little more to be gained but we ran out of time again.

The reality is that we have to drive about 5 miles to our private test track, then run a few WOT sessions at different settings. The problem is that even watching the bar graphs on Logworks does not give you an accurate idea of the affect of a change because the incremental changes are so small. So we drive back home and dissect the information before discussing and agreeing the next change.

I think that Jean is correct in saying that the AFRs are now OK for a turbo application, but we will do a little bit more, including larger injectors, to try to get the optimum.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

Paul. i had a similar issue with doing runs, recoding data and going home to analyse, my solution was to make a (admitidly very large and clumsy) spreadsheet that took in the raw datalog, parsed the appropriate info, smoothed, and displayed in a graph i could understand quickly. this alowed me to analyse the data "in the field" (or inthe carpark of the kfc to be more accurate) .. worked very well for what i was interested in. this was with raw megasquirt logs, but would be supprised if the same couldnt be achieved with logworks logs!

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

At least you sound more cheerfull today....

which is good...

I still personally favour bigger injectors to get the pulses more seperated. I now have a set off eBay that I will use for my first tests that are ~ 700cc (but obviously I'll be on a 1275 test engine)

Presumably once you go turbo you will be down to a single wideband - what do you think about the correlation (if any) between EGTs and wideband readings from what you see now ???

With my TechEdge I can also do EGTs but do you think it is worth it ???

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Paul,

If you use the MT logs then you can use the MegaLogViewer and see, in real time, graphs of what is happening in the engine. Of course, you'd have to wire in the second O2 in the Megasquirt to be able to view the AFR but it's just a few resistors and capacitors that can be put in the proto area of the board and wiring to the MS DB37.

Jean

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Slighty O/T but as Paul mentioned earlier about using Jean's latest board...

Is this a copy ???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=150332604546

Or just something different ???

It doesn't do injectors but seems to claim to do the ignition....

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

It's different in that it's a standalone box while my board is for installation inside the MS case. Also mine is simpler and doesn't do current limiting but it's much cheaper (if you know what you're doing).

It's not bad but, in my opinion, it's a bit expensive for what it is.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th Mar, 2009 jbelanger said:
But you can sort of see something similar around 230s, 235s, 268s and these are all above 3000rpm. So it's worth seeing what's happening to the pulse widths during transitions.

Jean

I would expect the pulse widths to go very short during transitions due to the low MAP at the gearchange.

Anywhere on the log where I have low MAP and short pulses, I can get the AFRs closer than at WOT.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th Mar, 2009 evolotion said:
Paul. i had a similar issue with doing runs, recoding data and going home to analyse, my solution was to make a (admitidly very large and clumsy) spreadsheet that took in the raw datalog, parsed the appropriate info, smoothed, and displayed in a graph i could understand quickly. this alowed me to analyse the data "in the field" (or inthe carpark of the kfc to be more accurate) .. worked very well for what i was interested in. this was with raw megasquirt logs, but would be supprised if the same couldnt be achieved with logworks logs!

Logworks provides a nice graph to disseminate, but I prefer to take my time, have a cuppa and think about the results.

Yesterday we spent half an hour pulling the first squirt forwards bit by bit. But it was only when we analised the data at home did we realise that we have passed the optimum at the second adjustment and from then on we were going backwards.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th Mar, 2009 Rod S said:

Presumably once you go turbo you will be down to a single wideband - what do you think about the correlation (if any) between EGTs and wideband readings from what you see now ???

I've not fully studied the EGT data but I'm not sure that it is going to be of much use.

CHT readings are a waste of time.

In theory the timing of the injection pulses is rpm, MAP and VE dependant. Under boost the rpm and VE will not change significantly, so as long as we keep the injector pulses within the safe window by doubling or trebling the injector capacity, then we should be OK.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

On 16th Mar, 2009 Paul S said:

Yesterday we spent half an hour pulling the first squirt forwards bit by bit. But it was only when we analised we were going backwards.

:$ sig anyone?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Well I'm now fully equiped with the latest Eastern European technology... (USB scope).

Bit of hassle getting the drivers recognised and even harder understanding how it works compared to a real scope, but the results are so much easier to save and present.

Not on external trigger yet and I've still got my 10:1 buffered (HV) probes from the real scope connected hence the voltages being all wrong but you can just save the scope view as a file (or save the whole screen in which case you would see all the controls as well, as per Jean's "photo") ....

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Great stuff Rod.

Lets see how close you can get them before the second pulse starts to misbehave.

EDIT: Easiest way would be to just wind up the revs.

Edited by Paul S on 17th Mar, 2009.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 17th Mar, 2009 Paul S said:

Lets see how close you can get them before the second pulse starts to misbehave.

It'll be later in the week now - I wasn't expecting it to arrive so quickly and have a few other things that I have to do first *frown*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Great results this morning from a single pulse.

I can finally get the outers running the same AFR than the inners.

Lot easier to set up as you effectively have one VE table and one Injection timing table. Half the variables.

The timing table needs further refinement, but can't make on the fly adjustments as I'm on my own. Sturgeo has gone to get some Proxies.

I'll drop a log later.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Log attached.

Got it close at WOT.

Funnily enough it's more difficult to get the settings sorted at part throttle, but that's not so important at the moment.

EDIT: Changed attached. Time scale was wrong.

Attachments:

Edited by Paul S on 22nd Mar, 2009.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

That looks really good!

You may need to go from a single pulse to 2 pulses at lower load/RPM. This is doable now but it may cause a stumble when switching from one to the other. I'll let you experiment some more to see if you need it. If it's the case, I'll look how to have a progressive transition in the code.

I don't remember which camshaft you're running. I assume that you'd get different results with a lot of overlap.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

This cam has 248 degrees inlet duration on a 12/56.

We spent some time trying to push the cross over point at around 5000 rpm higher, but could not even with something like 40 degrees less advance.

I think that this tells me that 5000 rpm is the maximum speed at which I can get equal AFRs with the 375cc/min injectors. Even fully open for the full intake stroke of the outer cylinder is not enough time to get the fuel in. Retarding the injection timing just means more fuel stays in the port for the next inner cylinder intake stroke.

I'll try to lean out the VE map a bit. That should push it a bit higher.

I definately need to bring in all four injectors for use with the turbo.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

What pulse widths do you have at the cross over point? Just to have an idea of how many degrees are usable for the injection window.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Forgot to do an MS log :$

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Well done Paul.

That's a great deal of effort gone into proving an aftermarket solution for fuel injecting the five port A series.

Your huge investment in time and equipment has finally paid off.

Time to get it fitted to the Miglia to just show what's possible.

Thanks also to Jean for the code development that made all this possible.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

???

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 23rd Mar, 2009 mini13 said:
???

Looks like he's started talking to himself..... :)

Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - Take Three
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: