Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - Take Three

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 8th Mar, 2009 Rod S said:
Obviously I'm still a long way behind Paul

Yes, pull your finger out. I need some help here *happy*

Edited by Paul S on 10th Mar, 2009.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 9th Mar, 2009 Paul S said:

On 8th Mar, 2009 Rod S said:
Obviously I'm still a long way behind Paul

Yes, pull your finger out. I need some help here *happy*

I'm trying different variables on Megatune at the moment (it beats going out to the garage and actually welding my manifold in this miserable weather) and later today I'm going to try to set up my antique scope to see what is actually happening...

One question first, what (approx) is your MAP at WOT as you say you've been doing a lot of WOT recentley - the logs posted earlier only have very brief periods of WOT as far as I can see.

It's the one thing you can't simulate in Megatune so I want to pull a very small bit of vacuum on the actual MAP sensor on the MS board to simulate WOT full power.

At the moment I'm finding I need quite large injectors to get a short enough pulsewidth (at the default 90degrees) to avoid them overlapping at what I think I'm simulating as full power.

That's why I want to put the scope on it shortly, I don't trust my maths.....

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I'm getting around 14.5psia MAP at WOT

For your purposes, you need to populate the tables for 90/95% MAP.

You will need big injectors to get the pulse width below 5ms.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 10th Mar, 2009 Paul S said:
I'm getting around 14.5psia MAP at WOT

For your purposes, you need to populate the tables for 90/95% MAP.

You will need big injectors to get the pulse width below 5ms.

I was seeing 13-14psia in your first (new) logs and thought it should be a bit closer to atmospheric.

At the moment the tables are just basic, no finesse in this experiment yet !!!

Injectors, I was aiming for 4ms @ 6000 RPM, WOT, full power (based on 20% duty rather than 25%, to keep them well apart initially) and for 1360cc, I have to dial in 600cc/min to achieve this..... but at least it seems my maths is still good.

A little bit of sucking and blowing on the MAP sensor tube (I'll probably regret that phrase later...) does swing the pulse width noticeably, hence my question.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Scanning the latest logs I can see WOT between 14.7 and 14.3 psia.

Your injector size calcs look about right. I'm seeing about 75 hp from a total of 750 cc/min injectors and pulse widths of just over 5ms which includes opening time.

If you can suck it down to 90% MAP then the effective pulse width should drop by 10%.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Thanks Paul, at least I know I'm going in the right direction....

Somewhat O/T but browsing "another" forum I came across this

http://www.mini-cooper-clubman.de/html/pro..._classic_m.html

Looks like someone else is copying MS but has at least recognised the need for a cam trigger.....

Are you aware of this Jean ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

That looks like the one covered in Mini Mag last year by Calver.

Just SPi so far.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Ooops, good point, I didn't read it that closely and misread trigger wheel for camwheel......

Perhaps I'd better crawl off back to the "other" forum.....

If it's controlled by Megatune though, it must surely be significantly copied from MS.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I think that Megatune is very versatile and can be configured to read and write serial data to and from any ECU that fits a certain standard.

All the menus and displays are set up by the .ini file. Presumably the data sets that form the code variables and engine data are covered the same way.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

As mentioned, it's SPi only and it is a copy of MS1 (with some improvements to make it plug and play) and uses the unmodified MS1/extra code. They did that without getting approval but I put them in contact with B&G and hopefully everything is "legal" now. So, yes I did know about them :)

And Rod, did you really write that:

On 10th Mar, 2009 Rod S said:
A little bit of sucking and blowing ... does swing the pulse ... noticeably

:)

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I knew I'd regret writing that - but you can't influence that input with the JimStim as the MAP sensor is wired onto the board - unless you know a better way than sucking and blowing :):):)

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Some people use a syringe. But sucking and blowing is what first comes to mind and it does work.

That's one more for misguided quotes.

Jean

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 10th Mar, 2009 jbelanger said:
Some people use a syringe.

That's exactly what I was intending, with a short tube that I can clamp once I have the WOT/full power value.

But as Paul has confirmed it's so close to atmospheric anyway, I'll leave that a while.

I'm just trying to get my antique scope working at the moment......

I've got a fair bit of 50Hz noise (15mV of it when on maximum sensitivity) on the B channel and a bit of crackling from the arc gaps inside so I'll pull the covers and clean it all out before I start.... might find a knackered electrolytic letting that noise through.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Do you have the probe plugged in? They act like pretty good antennae when not connected to anything.

Jean

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 10th Mar, 2009 jbelanger said:
Do you have the probe plugged in? They act like pretty good antennae when not connected to anything.

Yes, both plugged in and shorted to their respective ground leads.

It's only 15mV so not really going to affect anything but with the odd crackle from the arc gaps it's worth taking the covers off and blowing all the crap out. It might be mains leakage from the power supply just through dirt inside.

This really is an antique and hasn't had serious use for a while but, as I'm doing my trials/learning "on the bench" at the moment, I'd like to get it reliable
:)

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

that scopes state of the art compared to some we use at work!

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

i used to piss about with a old valve-based scope wiht exposed mains voltage screw terminals on the back and full of huge capacitors, when i was 13 .. how i never died i dont know, nowadays(now that i understand the dangers of useing such equipment) im to skared to even plug its nice brown bakelite plug into the wall.. that scope is decent!

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

lol

i love valves me!

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Well, It's not really that good....

I need to get my battery one working :)

Both injectors at 6000RPM WOT, full power (but without the small MAP correction).

Sorry, crap photo.

B channel still playing up but you see how close to overlap we are.

More interesting, the second pulse on the same injector seems to be weaker ???

This is just the A channel and it may be down to the scope but you can see the pulse/hold/PWM quite well (despite the scope...) and the second pulse seems lower voltage ???

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

How much time have you got between the 2 pulses? It might be a measurement artifact or something due to not having time to close completely. By the way, where are you taking the measurement?

Jean

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Right, got the antique running a bit better

The pulses are about 4ms in megatune at 6000 RPM so 1ms between them.

It could be measurement issues (ie scaling, delay, etc) in the scope but the close time is down to MS... there are no injectors attached, this is purely looking at the outputs on the JimStim board. Both drivers appear to show the same.

The traces are just off JimStim, ie, MS outputs but with no load on the drivers.

(like I said, I'm a long way behind Paul...) :)

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Rod,

It's definitely an artifact from the scope. What you should see is that:

This was taken with my cheap USB scope. RPM is about 6200RPM and pulse width is about 3.8ms. The red trace is injector driver 1 and the blue trace is driver 2. And this was taken on the JimStim at the screw terminal and you see that it is a down going pulse since the driver grounds the signal and it goes up to 3.5 V since it's after the LED (which lowers the 5V about 1.5V).

Jean

Edited by jbelanger on 10th Mar, 2009.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

My fault, had the gains set all wrong and hence I was looking far too closely at the wrong bit(s) *frown*

Display set the same as yours

Still got the artefacts (I'll assume they are for the moment as the scope is so old) and at 0.5V/division it's just over 3.5V going negative.

Then I've droped the gain slightly on one channel as I don't have two colours...

Then I've moved the timing form 90, 90 to 40, 130

and it does exactly as I expected :)

which obviously doesn't surprise me but it means I can now play with a few of the variables and get familiar with the code without freezing to death in the garage...

BTW I do like that USB scope, I've been thinking about getting one since my battery scope started playing up. Which make/model is it ???

Rod.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Rod that is really useful to see that the code is doing what it should.

I was starting to doubt given the problems I'm having.

I would like to see the affect of invoking the second VE table and the second Injection timing table so that you can change the duration and timing of the inner cylinder squirt.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I'm sure it does exactly what it should but, as you know, I started off with mis-understanding even the basic settings!!!

That's why I've decided to do a lot of "playing" with a scope first so I can understand exactly what a change does to a setting or table instead of just assuming it does what I think the change meant (if that makes sense).

I'll try second VE and second timing later, I want to try and get the scope working a bit better first.

Unfortunately my battery one (which is playing up anyway) doesn't have a decent size display nor a USB connector.

EDIT - the other interesting one I want to try is the timing trigger setting as I'm assuming it is what gives the ability to grow the pulse forward, backward or 50/50 (with increasing load/pulsewidth) as my reading suggests that is how Leyland/Rover did it on the MPI.

EDIT 2 - a question for Jean.....
On the JimStim, what is the timing of the second (cam) pulse and, more importantly, is it constant under all conditions ??? I want to set the scope with its good channel on one injector (which will obviously still show me one inner and one outer) and put the second channel just showing the cam pulse as a reference point - but that will only help if it's a constant timing...

Edited by Rod S on 11th Mar, 2009.

Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - Take Three
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: