Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Coil on Plug options

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Well, these are the babies:

These are the so-called "Yukon" coils.

Just need to make a bracket to mount them off the rocker cover.

I've found some HT leads to fit. Just need to find a connector for the common lead.

These will work straight of the ECU logic circuit through a pull-up resistor, so nice and simple.

Maybe overkill, but who knows the benefit of a better spark at 22 psi boost?

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

hmm interesting,

so these would happily pair up to run wasted spark if you runn a resistor from each coil?

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I don't know of any reason why you could not wire them up to two ECU outputs and run them as wasted spark.

There is a diagram on the MS website showing how to wire them.

http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/Ignition_P...3_schematic.JPG

You will need to bypass the MS ignition drivers (VB921) as they provide grouding for normal coils.

These need a 5v on/off on the signal wire.

Edited by Paul S on 27th Mar, 2009.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Interesting, they are being run as wasted spark anyway in that diagram.

If you wanted to run them as true individual COPs it would need 4 CPU outputs..... is that what you are intending to do, ie, use JS11 and D15 as well ???

The reason I ask is I was going to use JS11 (PA0) for boost control, although FIdle (PM2) remains an option if I can get my stepper motor idle valve I've been playing with to work right...

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes, using four individual outputs from the ECU.

I'm going to use Fidle for boost control.

Leaves me with a problem for the tacho though.

May just take one of the coil outputs and tell the tacho that it's a single cylinder.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

i run my COP's waisted spark cause i was to lazy to add another 2 wires to my loom(and a cam sensor) to run the signals outside the megasquirt. i did however add a buffer between the cpu and the coil to protect the cpu from any accidents in the engine bay.

Edited by evolotion on 27th Mar, 2009.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 27th Mar, 2009 Paul S said:

May just take one of the coil outputs and tell the tacho that it's a single cylinder.

That would work, or diodes from more than one coil output....

I was going to use D15 for Tacho, just to interface with the TechEdge logging side.

Slightly O/T but have you any plans for JS4/5/7 which must be the only ones you have left over now.... I've been thinking about incorporating some wiring for knock input (for potential use later) although it won't be easy to make a sensor work on the A series with all its inherent mechanical valve train noise.

Edited by Rod S on 27th Mar, 2009.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

No plans for JS4/5 or 7 at the moment.

EDIT: Launch Control may come in handy.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 27th Mar, 2009 evolotion said:
..... i did however add a buffer between the cpu and the coil to protect the cpu from any accidents in the engine bay.

Very good point - there are quite a few of the MS-Extra suggested circuits that use 5V zeners to protect CPU input pins from "accidents" outside the case, but there aren't really many scenarios where a CPU output pin is being wired direct to the engine bay.

Looking at the Extra Manual they do advise the extra buffers, four transistors and resistors in Paul's case, but this must be one of the few cases of a CPU output going outside the case that isn't already dealt with by standard installed components on the PCB.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

EDIT: Launch Control may come in handy.

I too had that in mind as I'm going to stick with helical gear trains and now have one of those nice Quaife LSDs.....

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I'm not planning on adding any transistors, just pull-up resistors.

I had assumed that the Ground Switching method was the one to use:

http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_....htm#groundpull

I had assume that these signals go positive for the dwell duration. When wired for wasted spark, they are inverted by the VB921 to created a grounding signal of the specified dwell.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

I'm not planning on adding any transistors, just pull-up resistors.

I had assumed that the Ground Switching method was the one to use:

http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_....htm#groundpull

I had assume that these signals go positive for the dwell duration. When wired for wasted spark, they are inverted by the VB921 to created a grounding signal of the specified dwell.

That's the one to use and it does protect the CPU pin because there is no direct connection to the CPU. But you'll need to add the circuit for the 4th spark output.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I was looking at this circuit - although I haven't really researched it, it was just Denis's comment that made me think (as I have a bag of 5V zenners to protect inputs)

http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_...tion.htm#3coils

I'm not sure the circuit you are looking at is applicable for JS11 (COP D)...

But I may be wrong.

EDIT - Jean beat me to it WRT the 4th spark......

EDIT 2 - my link didn't work right, it's abot 3/4 down the page, called 5V PNP drive

Edited by Rod S on 27th Mar, 2009.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Rod, that is correct for coils without built in ignitors (VB921).

The LS2 coils have the equivalent of the VB921 built in.

With coil 4 from JS11, you just need to take a jumper to the proto board and add a 1k resistor of the 5v as a pull up.

EDIT: See what you mean, JS11 has no protection.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Rod, that is correct for coils without built in ignitors (VB921).

The LS2 coils have the equivalent of the VB921 built in.

With coil 4 from JS11, you just need to take a jumper to the proto board and add a 1k resistor of the 5v as a pull up.

You need to also add the transistor. Otherwise that spark output will be reversed compared to the others. This will also protect the CPU pin. So you need two 1K resistor and a 2n3904 transistor.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Jean,

Apologies, you did tell me that in one of your emails.

Rod, have you got a spare 2N3904 then?

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Yes, my mistake about the other three - I had forgotten that D14/15/16 use transistor drives on the existing PCB anyway.

(transistors to drive LEDs ???? - or was it future proofing for the Extra code !!!)

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Rod, have you got a spare 2N3904 then?

Yes, I have one left over from the original build (Q20) as I was installing the bigger transistor to handle the Idle valve (or maybe to become boost PWM).

If you ordered a full kit from the USA for your second MS, you may be in the same position, otherwise I can post it to you.

There's another common UK equivilant of which I have quite a few - just can't remember the number at the moment, will look it up later...

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thanks, Rod, but I've just checked and we also have a whole load of them left over because we are using Jean's board for the injectors.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

my COP's actually requre a pull down resistor type signal, and therefore a PNP output driver as opposed to the NPN output of the megasquirt cpu. for a buffer for a regular coil a simple NPN transistor could be used, if the output is abused teh transistor dies and the cpu is safe, zeners will protect against voltage spikes, and alot of people use them, but i personally wouldnt use only zeners as its jsut a passive component, if it fails the cpu will still smoke.

so aye, transistors = best :)

Denis O'Brien.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

EDIT any smal signal NPN transistor like the 2n2222a (from maplins) ought to be fine.

and sorry skim read the above posts and missed most of it , apologies for the repeat of info!

Edited by evolotion on 27th Mar, 2009.

Denis O'Brien.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Good - I thought you might have a few bits left over after buying the whole kit :)

BTW, the more readily sourced one in the UK is 2N5551, essentially the same but with a higher current rating. I prefer it because it has factory splayed leads to the standard 0.1" pitch so much easier to solder in the proto area.

The 2N3904s are probably the hardest component to solder on the MS board as they do not have splayed leads and the solder pads nearly touch each other.

PaulH

1346 Posts
Member #: 2340
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

Is it only me that feals a very large breeze blowing over the top of my head when I open this thread :(

On 17th Feb, 2009 Rob H said:

I find the easiest way is to super glue the bolt to the end of one of my fingers.

stevieturbo

3577 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Coil info for MS...some of which also goes over my head lol.

http://www.megamanual.com/seq/coils.htm

As for the white connector. I think you will struggle to find that at a reasonable price anywhere, as its part of the vehicle loom.
I do have some links somewhere of places in the US you could ask...but it wont be cheap.

What would make more sense....is to switch to an alternative connector.

I know my LS1 coils use a 4 pin plug...so you could make any wiring loom based on these instead.
http://www.m-cal.com/Products/MC04-765205/...seal-1.5-Series

and forget teh white connector altogether.

or use the same range of plugs from M-Cal, and use a 5/6 pin setup.

With most ecu's, you just ground pins 3+4 on the coils to a good earth point on engine or similar. With pins 1 + 2 providing +12v and trigger.

So effectively you really only need 4 trigger wires and a 12v feed. So a 5 pin plug would suffice depending on how your coils are bracketed.

I bought a lot f those AMP Seal plugs from M-Cal when I was making a new loom for my car. Bloody bargain if you ask me !!!! Other places are charging 3-4x their prices for the same plugs.

Edited by stevieturbo on 27th Mar, 2009.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thanks Stevie.

I was actually thinking about cutting the white connector off and fitting something readily available in the UK like an econoseal or similar.

It's actually 7 pins, the five you mentioned and two grounds.

Home > A-Series EFI / Injection > Coil on Plug options
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: