Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Making a carb boost sensitive..Turbodave?

Hedgemonkey

591 Posts
Member #: 360
Stu from Corwall aka Mr Jazz Piano, Love_Machine, kneegrow

Even though I am still taking my engine to bits/cleaning up, etc. I have decided that my M45 blower is going to be where the alternator goes, through a Vauxhall intercooler which is pretty much spot on and then into a blow through HIF 44.

As I have loads of HIF 44 carbs, it would be a shame to spend money on one if I didn't have to.

What are the key differences in blowthrough carbs and N/A? Are these differences easily achievable for other sorts. I myself will probably be using a Turbo carb as it is the most easy, but I would be interested in other alternatives, just for the hell of it.

I have my Metro haynes manual here but it is pretty skinny.

Cheers stu (also aka kneegrow!)

Bugger off, I'm getting there.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I have a picture at work that explains it all. I'll upload it monday. As you suspect, a nat-asp is easilly modified into blowthru spec...

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Hedgemonkey

591 Posts

I bumped into the "Fabricating your own plenum" thread and couldn't decide if keeping the restrictor ring was 100% necessary. Vizard seems to show a ring inside the carb, I suppose that making the "hole" in your plenum a bit undersize would have the same effect.

Ideally, I would just like to use my MG Metro N/A carb with a home brew rigup.

stu

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I think it is the length of the ring that is quite important rather than the size (diameter) of it. I think this is because the length means that no air flow can be 'sucked' round the corner (for want of a better explanation?) for instance like you get with a radiused ram pipe.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

iain
Site Admin

8506 Posts
Member #: 16
Sold the turbo and seeing what the C20XE can do!

Near Lincoln

i thought the diameter was the most important as it creates a pressure drop across the carb mouth.

nutter driver

969 Posts
Member #: 47
Post Whore

Not very sunny swanage

did you ever find the pic dave? would be very interested......

or failing that, does anybody else know how to adapt a na carb. dont need to know right now, but thought it would be a very usefull thing to finbd out about!!

Pete

And on the 7th day........... God created turbochargers!

Hedgemonkey

591 Posts

I will see if I can drag anything off the sphincternet.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

A starter...
Sorry about the size!!!!

Edited by TurboDave16V on 14th Apr, 2009.

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Hedgemonkey

591 Posts

Lovely Job. I take it (for the price they are secondhand) you may as well get a pukka turbo carb (assuming the spindle seals/modulator ring are not available cheaply). Also, another stu-pid question, would the turbo inlet manifold fit over a Large Bore LCB? (No turbo!)

Cheers for that. stu

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Stu,
If you had a plenum, and an inlet, but no carb, i'd say modify one. The seals incidentally are the same as the nat-asp ones (available from Burlens or Iain on here) but reversed so as to 'open out and seal' with pressure, rather than vacuum....

Ebay has gone stupid for the metro turbo carbs and what-not... best looking somewhere else i'd have thought.

Inlet? Really not sure... It'd only be the 'water pipe' that'd get in the way, and most people run with this disconnected anyway - so it'll certainly be MADE to fit!

No stoopid questions, no stoopid answers!

nutter driver

969 Posts
Member #: 47
Post Whore

Not very sunny swanage

since theyre are no stupid questions, ill ask one!!!

if i wanted to modify a na to turbo, would i have to do more than what youve said above and get a turbo rebuild kit with all the seals in? theres got to be more to it than that?

And on the 7th day........... God created turbochargers!

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

as i said - a 'starter'

You need the correct needle - but chances are the stock one is no good and would need tweaking for a modified engine anyway!
You need to seal the dashpot to the body. Ideally, you'll machine a groove in the body. However, instant gasket or similar could work, but is not an ideal solution...

And that's it.
Use the correct plenum, mod the pies as shown,
Bosh!

Edited by TurboDave16V on 27th Oct, 2004.

iain
Site Admin

8506 Posts
Member #: 16
Sold the turbo and seeing what the C20XE can do!

Near Lincoln

Can get all the bits seperately but for the price of a rebuild kit its a peace of mind. if the bearings are shagged it wont show up as much on a NA but once the pressure is going in the other directions out pisses fuel *happy* just above the nice hot turbo *happy*

Hedgemonkey

591 Posts

Cheers Dave.

I'll crack on with that.

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

Found out my 1275 road mini (na) has a 1.5" hif, so went to fit a spare 1.75 hif and found it had a 4 and a 5 on it...(see TD's diagram above)

Im just going to block the anti run on valve up, but what should I connect the part throttle lean off pipe (5) up to?

please bear in mind its for a non performance road engine.

cheers

joe

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

gtguru

12 Posts
Member #: 234

Old thread I know, but has someone got a copy of Dave’s pic?? I use to have it years ago but can’t find it…

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Making a carb boost sensitive..Turbodave?
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: