Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > Remote Turbo Manifold

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Dont Panic....

The GT2056 will not fit down the back of the block without a bulkhead box.

I don't want to fit a bulkhead box in the Miglia as it would involve removing some significant bracing from the front subframe and posibly the roll cage.

So I've decided to fit the turbo above the transfer case. This has significant advantages as it will allow the use of equal length runners, possibly the use of dual widebands and allow fitting an external wastegate if required. It will also will keep the inlet air well away from hot exhaust gases and turbo.

So I've knocked up a quick sketch and will start cutting metal over the weekend.

I still need to work out how to bend the runners around the block to get to the turbo inlet, but it's taking shape.

Any comments at this stage?

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

I guess needs must, but I'm not a fan of the turbo over the flywheel, not good for weight distribution, unless you have a LHD car.

My thoughts were that the easiest and cheepest way to do it is use the Metro manifold and run a pipe from that. But I don't have the skills you have to build a manifold. And considering the spec of the rest of the car it probably deserves something shiney!

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Re. dual widebands - my understanding is that even if you could keep the temperatures low enough, they become inaccurate under pressure which is the main reason why they can't be used before a turbo.

It would be interesting to know for sure though (fit a third one after the turbo and see if it reads the average of the two....)

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 1st May, 2009 Rod S said:
Re. dual widebands - my understanding is that even if you could keep the temperatures low enough, they become inaccurate under pressure which is the main reason why they can't be used before a turbo.

It would be interesting to know for sure though (fit a third one after the turbo and see if it reads the average of the two....)

We discussed this a few years ago and Bat suggested that you could use a wideband upstream of the turbo if you took a small bore bleed pipe into a chamber and then fed it back downstream of the turbo. The wideband would then run at low pressure but read the upstream AFR.

So I'm thinking of a couple of small compression fittings and stainless steel pipe into a 20mm bore pipe with the wideband in the end and branched into the downpipe.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 1st May, 2009 wil_h said:
I guess needs must, but I'm not a fan of the turbo over the flywheel, not good for weight distribution, unless you have a LHD car.

My thoughts were that the easiest and cheepest way to do it is use the Metro manifold and run a pipe from that. But I don't have the skills you have to build a manifold. And considering the spec of the rest of the car it probably deserves something shiney!

As far as weight distribution goes, then Sturgeo can loose a few kilos. Besides I dont see many cars suffering from the weight of the driver, take The Don for example *happy*

Agreed, the metro manifold would be cheaper, but I already have all the materials sat on the bench and would like to keep the pulses separate until the turbo flange.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 1st May, 2009 Paul S said:

We discussed this a few years ago and Bat suggested that you could use a wideband upstream of the turbo if you took a small bore bleed pipe into a chamber and then fed it back downstream of the turbo. The wideband would then run at low pressure but read the upstream AFR.

So I'm thinking of a couple of small compression fittings and stainless steel pipe into a 20mm bore pipe with the wideband in the end and branched into the downpipe.

Neat idea....

Response time might be a bit slow for closed loop control but ideal for what you want to set the siamese code up under actual boost.

Got me thinking.....

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Any thoughts on how to deal with the expansion?

I thought that I would make the mount of the transfer case with a couple of pivots, so that the turbo would swing out and down when hot.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

The trick with pivoted link arm(s) is to get the pivot angle (in two planes) correct and then the length and starting angle in the third plane exactly right to match movement in three planes.

The angle of the pivot deals with two planes and the length and "lean" of the link deal with the third.

Very hard to put into words but when you've seen it done in practice allowing several hundreds of tonnes of plant to expand outwards and upwards with no stress on the connecting welds it all makes sense.

I must be bored today - too much posting.....

PaulH

1346 Posts
Member #: 2340
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

I am building the same Idea for a GT2056 Paul for this years race,

I however don’t like the idea of running the two outside cylinders into a Y and then going to the turbo. I would like to run each branch to the turbo at an equal length but run the centre branch at 1.6 to account for the double pulse. run them in the serpentine fashion to keep the primary’s Equal. I think a primary goal for me would be to try and keep the port exits straight for as long as possible to allow for best exhaust flow.

I hope to get over the expansion issue with these

http://cgi.ebay.ie/50mm-X-100mm-S-S-EXHAUS...%3A1%7C294%3A50

On 17th Feb, 2009 Rob H said:

I find the easiest way is to super glue the bolt to the end of one of my fingers.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Paul H, interesting, but I'm not sure that I understand or agree with your thinking.

Joining the two outer cylinders into a Y means that the pulses in that runner are the same as the inner cylinder runner, but 180 degrees apart. So, at the turbo you get alternating pulses from each runner equally spread. After all, LCBs work on a similar fashion in terms of pulse tuning.

Not sure where you apply the 1.6 factor. How do you work that out?

I'm not happy using those expansion flexis at such high pressures and temperatures.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

The other thing to bear in mind with the "flexis" is that they are designed for flexing only, not changes in length.

Whilst they will physically "compress", the design assumes the stainless braiding will remain under tension and the interlocking spiral form inside will remain loaded under tension to keep the seal.

Even on more expensive versions with a totally sealed bellows unit inside (rather than Ilock) the length is supposed to be kept constant.

PaulH

1346 Posts
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

Ok the way I look at your idea Paul is that it creates a Square wave type pattern across the Turbo inlet flange where as the old metro Turbo type idea as in the attached pic gives a much smother snake like pulse pattern, more a kin to the sine wave which is harmonic which should give smooth laminar flow allowing the turbine to spool smoothly.
I was under the impression this is why the metro turbo manifold kept the three branches separate at the turbo inlet manifold.

I haven’t worked out the pressures involved Paul but the GT2056 is a fast flowing turbo if the pressure is very high aft turbo then I would suspect there is a problem.

1.6 is a ratio worked out by Maiflow with there news’s incarnation of the LCB type exhaust. from my mearusements anyway.

Edited by PaulH on 1st May, 2009.

I find the easiest way is to super glue the bolt to the end of one of my fingers.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Not sure about that.

Both methods should give the same flow characterstics and pulses at the turbine flange, except if you use a bigger centre port runner, then they may be out of synch.

Probably, I should use a larger centre port runner and outer secondary. I don't know for sure.

Anyway, I've started to make it, so we shall see.

PaulH

1346 Posts
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

Look forward to see how it works for you Paul I'm not after out and out power on this one, more a smoth torque and high cornering speeds.

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

im keeping my eye on this thread... where's the pop corn simile*happy*

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

I have not much to add i'm afraid - but that Peter1071s wrote quite a lot about this kind of stuff I recall. For all the bad things we can say - he did (does?) appear to know a fair bit so if he hasn't deleted the posts, then you might find some useful info?

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Good progress so far....

PaulH

1346 Posts
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

Whats to OD and ID of that tube Paul.

PaulH

1346 Posts
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

Whats to OD and ID of that tube Paul.

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Look good,

Is it worth having the center pipe angled towards the passengers side of the car rather than going straight down, thus making it a bit longer and keeping the runners equal length?

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Looks good Paul,

are you going to squeeze the pipes square to match the flanges/ports like i did?

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Paul, the pipe is 28/33mm ish.

Rob, could do, the difference in length is about 30mm at the moment.

Joe, with this size pipe I just need to blend from square to round in the flange.

thimo

22 Posts
Member #: 710

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Hi Paul,

You may want to reconsider the design of the Y-piece. The problem, as I understand it and why I decided to re-do my own manifold, is that the exhaust gases will lose a lot of momentum through a collision in the Y-piece. See my, terrible but hopefully clear, drawing.

Sketch 1 is the situation with the collision. The gases want to go in a straight line as there really is not that much of a bend to follow and bump onto the wall, loose speed while trying to find the right way to go.

Sketch 2 is the situation where there is a proper bend before the collector. Gases will follow the bend on the outside curve and will be properly aligned to go into the collector and not lose as much momentum.

What do you think?

Regards,

Thimo

Attachments:

http://projects.ferrenzo.nl/

thimo

22 Posts
Member #: 710

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

This is a photo from my manifold. The flow in the center pipe will be okay, but the outside ones will lose pulse/momentum.

Edit: Link to more manifold photo's, remarks in Dutch: http://www.ferrenzo.nl/dagboek/359.php

Edited by thimo on 3rd May, 2009.

http://projects.ferrenzo.nl/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thimo, you may well have a very valid point and a collector style joint would be better.

However, packaging it all together and leaving space for a 50mm downpipe leaves little space. A collector would push the bend much further down and I'm already battling with the webs on the block as it is. Moving the pipes away from the block intruduces some odd angles and takes up the space for the downpipe.

I think I'll spend some time over next winter working on a better design, but I'm going to finish this one as it is to get the car working.

Did you ever try your manifold? Or are you working on a theory?

Home > Technical Chat > Remote Turbo Manifold
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: