Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > Remote Turbo Manifold

svrdaniels

85 Posts
Member #: 3600
Advanced Member

Gateshead

It will be interesting to see the collector for this lot, there is a lot of pipe to bring together. The design looks very neat though across the back of the head/block.

Have you considered having tubes bent up rather than fabricating? I am not sure of the capability of current CNC tube bending machines, could be worth looking into though. I used to work for the MD of Malvern Tubular Components I believe that they (and others) may have the capability.

On 12th Dec, 2010 Paul S said:
Made some progress before the cold weather sets in again.

Edited by svrdaniels on 15th Dec, 2010.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

The collector is going to be tricky. The outers do actually join at the end of the head. I'm planning on taking the centre and outer branches forward to the turbo and then a collector to take them down to the 38mm dia. GT17 inlet.

Not sure that you can get this thickness of tube, 2.77mm, in a bending machine. You could if you use 16swg, but i don't.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

I do really, really like that manifold.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Just to put my fab hat on for a minute. Are we really saying that such a manifold can increase the VE significantly? (10% based in wintersurfs figures).

It it was me I'd bin the side rad and put the turbo on that side if possible. With turbo, flywheel and driver all on one side corner weights will be a pain.

Still, a lovey job, with thought and theory behind the design. I think I'm right in saying that VE of an engine is all in the head design. So binning the 5-port would be the easiest way surely. It is an interesting execise to see what the 5-port can do, but ultimately head design is the way to similar power-per-psi as a modern 16v motor.

On 14th Dec, 2010 theoneeyedlizard said:
Yes, my opinion of side mounted turbos has changed since Wintersurfers car has been running. 160 nanas at 10psi!

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Robert seems to think his figures are about 20-25bhp optimistic at the smart rr day.

I also think the vans figures are about 10-15bhp bhp optimistic.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 15th Dec, 2010 wil_h said:
Just to put my fab hat on for a minute. Are we really saying that such a manifold can increase the VE significantly? (10% based in wintersurfs figures).

It it was me I'd bin the side rad and put the turbo on that side if possible. With turbo, flywheel and driver all on one side corner weights will be a pain.

Still, a lovey job, with thought and theory behind the design. I think I'm right in saying that VE of an engine is all in the head design. So binning the 5-port would be the easiest way surely. It is an interesting execise to see what the 5-port can do, but ultimately head design is the way to similar power-per-psi as a modern 16v motor.

I'll not argue with that, but this is a 5 Port project.

Surely though, you would not spend £1000 on a 7 Port and then bolt on the Metro Turbo exhaust manifold.....would you?

There is no arguement that the MT manifold works, but we do not know if there are benefits to be had by using tuned lengths. That's how most the other engine tuners do it, so the probability of some gains is quite high.

For my project, I was going to make a new manifold anyway as I don't want to cut the bulkhead. A few quids worth of extra stainless and we are sorted.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Collector fabrication:

It ain't pretty on the outside, but I ground it all nice and smooth on the inside.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

That's what I like to see!

Make things fit properly!

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Brett

9502 Posts
Member #: 1023
Post Whore

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Impressive :)

Yes i moved to the darkside *happy*

Instagram @jdm_brett

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

On 15th Dec, 2010 Paul S said:

Surely though, you would not spend £1000 on a 7 Port and then bolt on the Metro Turbo exhaust manifold.....would you?

Indeed I would. But I'm not short on power with the metty manifold and neither are others. And I'm not after more power necessarily, but all the advantages FI can give me, traction control, launch control plus it's lighter.

There is of course scope to change the manifold in the future when it is maybe a restriction to performance.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Ok, I understand the logic. We already have the potential for traction and launch control.

The objective of this manifold is to offset the affects of exhaust back pressure imposed by the turbo at high revs, thereby extending the useable rev range. Thereby equally applicable to 5, 7 or 8 port engines.

Going back to the Engleman formula, the version detailed above is for intake runner length, but is equally applicable to exhaust runners with the possible exception that the pulse timing may be different.

I know that I want the negative pulse to peak around TDC, thereby reducing the exhaust back pressure around valve overlap. What I don't know is where the peak of the positive pulse will be. Is it just after valve opening, at maximum valve opening or at peak piston speed???

I can't finish weld the manifold until I can answer that question and the book with the answer is sat under the Xmas tree for another week :(

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

On 19th Dec, 2010 Paul S said:

I can't finish weld the manifold until I can answer that question and the book with the answer is sat under the Xmas tree for another week :(

Paul, I'll have a word with Santa, I'm sure he'll understand if you open your present early. He know's his way around a Mini as he gets me Mini parts every year!

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 19th Dec, 2010 Jay#2 said:

Paul, I'll have a word with Santa

Cool *happy*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Well, Santa delivered and I'm half way though the book.

The good news is that it is full of good verified theory on manifold design.

The first bit of bad news is that the Engleman/Helmholtz theory was discredited about 50 years ago *frown*

The second bit of bad news is that the pulse theory is so complex if done properly that you need some very sophisticated software to get the right results. So no spreadsheets this time.

Luckily there are some very good examples of engine simulation software in the public domain.

Advantage

1137 Posts
Member #: 1450
Post Whore

Near Paris - France

On 27th Dec, 2010 Paul S said:

The first bit of bad news is that the Engleman/Helmholtz theory was discredited about 50 years ago *frown*

D'oh !

Anyway, that's a relief cos' I couldnt even read the damn name, let alone pronounce ...

Rusty by nature

On 23rd Jun, 2008 paul wiginton said:

They said "That sounds rough mate." I said "Cheers it cost me a fortune to make it sound like that!"

MikeRace

6549 Posts
Member #: 1149
#1 Basshunter Fan

Force Racing ICT Dept Manager Miglia Turbo Am frum Yokshyer tha noes!

Any updates on this paul??

1/4 Mile 14.3secs 96Mph Terminal 10psi of boost.

Fibreglass Parts? - http://www.tdkracing.co.uk/
Split Rims? - http://www.force-racing.co.uk/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I now have a calibrated model of my engine and am about to do parametric simulations of exhaust manifold runner lengths.

MikeRace

6549 Posts
Member #: 1149
#1 Basshunter Fan

Force Racing ICT Dept Manager Miglia Turbo Am frum Yokshyer tha noes!

I fully understand everything you just said. *happy*

1/4 Mile 14.3secs 96Mph Terminal 10psi of boost.

Fibreglass Parts? - http://www.tdkracing.co.uk/
Split Rims? - http://www.force-racing.co.uk/

wng691s clubby

2057 Posts
Member #: 9252
Post Whore

Cleethorpes

project looks great good luck with the calculations

Done now needs redoing lol

Rick.SPI

1596 Posts
Member #: 8027
Post Whore

Thrapston, Kettering, Northants NN14

watching this closely , tis very interesting *wink*

On 17th Feb, 2011 apbellamy said:
I popped my first one out the other day...

Advantage

1137 Posts
Post Whore

Near Paris - France

On 11th Jan, 2011 Paul S said:
I now have a calibrated model of my engine and am about to do parametric simulations of exhaust manifold runner lengths.

What software are you using ?

Rusty by nature

They said "That sounds rough mate." I said "Cheers it cost me a fortune to make it sound like that!"

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

It's called "Foginadish"

Advantage

1137 Posts
Post Whore

Near Paris - France

I don't get it.

But I don't get your signature either althought it is in french ...

Sorry if my request was misplaced or rude.

Rusty by nature

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Apologies, my poor attempt at a joke.

The software is OEM "borrowed" for evalutation purposes.

Awesome capabilities, modelled the siamese ports and scatter cam no problem.

Extremely interesting results. Let the dyno be the judged.

chominsh

289 Posts
Member #: 8160

, mitcham, surrey, london, cr4

nice project!

Nothing special!

Home > Technical Chat > Remote Turbo Manifold
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: