Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Technical Chat > Remote Turbo Manifold

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

We had similar discussions about two years ago about how the flows converge..

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=149485

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

thimo

22 Posts
Member #: 710

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Caught red handed... :) Indeed not from my own experience, working on a theory. I read an article on the internet about turbo manifold design that got me thinking about this.

I don't think this is a big problem. But as you're going all the way with your manifold, equal length, smooth curves, I thought I'd mention my theory.

Regards,

Thimo

http://projects.ferrenzo.nl/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Cutting's done, now just need to ruin it with my welding.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Hum, very tidy.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

carl talbot

326 Posts
Member #: 1323

Looks very nice
Just a thought : [ don't forget i'm not that up on mini engine bay packaging ]
couldn't you run the ex. manifold over the top of the intake to the area where your turbo is currently , ie turn the 1st 90 bends out of the head upwards

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

will that fit in?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 4th May, 2009 carl talbot said:
Looks very nice
Just a thought : [ don't forget i'm not that up on mini engine bay packaging ]
couldn't you run the ex. manifold over the top of the intake to the area where your turbo is currently , ie turn the 1st 90 bends out of the head upwards

Not really as I going to be running injection with a couple of fuel rails going across the top of the inlet runners.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 5th May, 2009 Nic said:
will that fit in?

I hope so *oh well*

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

It looks like it'll fit, my only concern is its close to the bonnet and i don't know how heat resistant CF is...

Edited by sturgeo on 5th May, 2009.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I've just measured up to be sure and it fits without a problem.

The highest point of the compressor housing is close to the bonnet line but no higher than a standard alloy rocket cover.

There is plenty of room between the engine and the inner wing line, although we do not have an inner wing.

We might need to fit some reflective heat shield to the underside of the CF bonnet.

Radleigh

367 Posts
Member #: 1643

West London

Be interested to see how it turns out. Looks cool Paul.

Lightweight racer coming soon.

theoneeyedlizard

7262 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Paul

You've done it all wrong. This is the way to do it...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mini-metro-turbo-and...93%3A1|294%3A50

In the 13's at last!.. Just

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I wish I had done mine like that.

Spent most of the weekend welding the thing up. Because of the distortion I was having to continually check for fit and make adjustments. Very time consuming.

Nearly there now. Start on the downpipe and the dual wideband system next.

wil_h

9258 Posts
Member #: 123
Post Whore

Betwix Harrogate and York

Stunning as usual Paul.

Fastest 998 mini in the world? 13.05 1/4 mile 106mph

www.twin-turbo.co.uk

On 2nd Jan, 2013 fastcarl said:

the design shows a distinct lack of imagination,
talk about starting off with a clean sheet of paper, then not bothering to fucking draw on it,lol

On 20th Apr, 2012 Paul S said:
I'm mainly concerned about swirl in the runners caused by the tangential entry.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

It certainly looks good.....

What schedule (wall thickness) are you using there - I'm interested in the distortion issues.

Also looking forward to seeing the dual wideband design you talked about, I'm wondering if a partial copy could be made on a Metro T3 cast manifold (ie, one off one of the outers only, and the second off the centre) using the first fitting threaded into the casting and the rest welded.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Rod,

It's Schedule 10 pipe from All Stainless, nominal 1" bore, but a bit bigger:

http://www.allstainlessltd.co.uk/products....hot_nb_pipe.gif

The plan is to weld a boss to each of the branches. 1/8" BSP stainless steel compression fitting taking a 6mm OD, 4mm ID stainless steel pipe across to a couple of "sample tubes" welded to the downpipe.

Each sample tube will have a lambda boss on the end and another compression fitting on the side. They will sit vertical.

The 4mm bore tube should flow enough exhaust gas to get a sample but not bleed off too much to limit boost.

I've successfully drilled and tapped my N/A metro manifold at 1/8" BSP to fit thermocouple fittings, so should be no problem with the turbo manifold.

Edited by Paul S on 11th May, 2009.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

In reverse order...

Didn't expect tapping the cast manifold to be an issue, but I wouldn't want to weld to it for sure... but welding after the first tapped fitting shouldn't be an issue.

4mm "feels" too small - no maths to back this up - but you may not maintain the minimum temperature required at the lambda semsor - depends on the length of the tube, hence interested to see the layout.

Sitting the sensors vertical is, I agree, a very good idea where the small bore tubing will cool off very quickly and allow condensation.

At Sch 10 it's still slightly under 3mm thick - so I'm slightly surprised you are having distortion issues. However, complex shape and short runs doesn't help.....

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The sensor will get plenty of heat from the downpipe. They will also sit close to the manifold. The sample tube will be 25mm stainless with a lambda boss welded on the top and welded into the downpipe.

4mm may be too small, but I do not want to loose too much boost by making it too big. Also if it is too small, there will not be enough flow at cruise/part throttle. Suck it and see.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Crude sketch to explain:

pinkyandnobrain

720 Posts
Member #: 2588
Post Whore

Pretoria South Africa

Paul i dunno why but I pictured the bosses for the lambdas being upstream of the turbo and the vent pipes running back to the downpipe........

"So wat we gonna do tonight Brain?"
"Same thing we do evernight Pinky!"
"Try to take over the world!"

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

As they say, a picture speaks a thousand words....

Sensor body temperature should easily be maintained in that configuration and anything the gas temperature drops in the (shorter than I was expecting) 4mm tube should easily be recovered by the hot mass of the sensors and large connectors to the downpipe.

Timinichelsea

203 Posts
Member #: 479

That looks well smart, nice one.

On 5th May, 2009 sturgeo said:
my only concern is its close to the bonnet and i don't know how heat resistant CF is...

It goes all floppy, but it ain't too bad, however running a turbo that close could be interesting.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

widebands run fine in tubes incerted in a tailpipe. there own heaters do the job fine, though life expectancy is somewhat reduced compared to having the lambda right up near the turbo etc. i wonder who came up with that idea *tongue*

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Credit to you I'm sure EVO!
A great idea! :)

oh - and a fine looking manifold...

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 11th May, 2009 evolotion said:
i wonder who came up with that idea *tongue*

Apologies Denis, I thought that it was Bat's idea originally - my mistake.

Home > Technical Chat > Remote Turbo Manifold
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: