Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - Take Four

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Started a new thread as the last one has become a bit lengthy.

Today we've been fine tuning the settings from the last trails, so that we have a great setup in NA mode with minimal stumbling and close AFRs up to 5000rpm+.

For any NA engine this has to be the best fueling system available. Better than any carb by far.

As an experiment, we then doubled up the injectors, 2 per port, both firing together using the single pulse mode. The injector capacity on each port is the 375cc plus the original 480cc injectors, giving a total of 855cc/min.

We reduced the Req_Fuel accordingly and it started straight up and idled fine. It just needed a slight adjustment to the injection timing at idle to get the AFRs equal.

Under load it was a different matter. We spent about half an hour on the test track trying different settings. This time we were getting too much fuel in the outer cylinders. We kept advancing the injection timing by 10 degrees a time, the all of a sudden we were at the sweet spot at 6000rpm. Both inners and outers running at 12:1 AFR.

Oddly, in this configuration, it needs 90 degrees more advance at the top end.

So a couple of positives: firstly it will idle fine with excessive injection capacity. Pulse widths were around 1.5mS at idle. Secondly, there seems to be plenty capacity to maintain equal AFRs under boost.

A lot more tuning needs to be done to get equal AFRs across the range, but not a bad result for an afternoon.

Feeling a little more positive today *happy*

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Carl S
Forum Mod

1927 Posts
Member #: 1761
Stalker

Bristol

Excellent work Paul, great progress made!

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Well done, better tha ordering a VEMS or starting on the bike head....

Now the interesting bits,
First, really good to hear it idled OK with such a large (combined) injector capacity - I was hoping to prove that myself but I'm still well behind.

Second, the fact you initially had too much fuel for the outers, when you have struggled to get enough previously..... This must point to the new (combined) injector characteristics and I can't help but keep thinking it's down to runner design and injector location - ie, wall wetting and transit time. Those parameters were refered to by Leyland/Rover at the MPI design. Was your "second" injector that you brought into play, the one nearer or further away than your initial trials ???

This is where our testing is going to drift apart wildly (once I start for real).

Have you considered adapting your Miglia manifold design (with the twin widebands) to fit on the 998 for turbo testing or is there just too little space ???

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes, the additional injector is the furthest away, but only by an inch or so.

But, more importantly, it is the MPi jobbie with the cone spay nozzle, so it is likley to be sending fuel to the walls.

I should really have four identical injectors, but the MPi ones were still on the car blocking up the holes in the manifold and fuel rail whilst I was running it with just the two injectors.

I do know from the previous trials that the MPi injectors need more advance.

Funnily enough, I was thinking earlier how I am going to properly monitor the AFRs under boost. Watch this space.

Anyways, I just spent another 10 minutes on the injection timing. Plugged in 135 degrees across the top three lines of the timing map. The AFRs are within 1 of each other across the board.

Mutts Nuts indeed.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Captain Slog:

Attachments:

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Impressive AFR match - you must obviously be feeling better now.

But you'd better get your gear changes a bit quicker if you're thinking of taking it on a timed run anywhere *happy*

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 16th May, 2009 Rod S said:
But you'd better get your gear changes a bit quicker if you're thinking of taking it on a timed run anywhere *happy*

Cheeky young devil *happy*

EDIT: Actually I don't think that they are too bad considering that the clutch bites at half inch off the floor. Plus I was not trying.

The gear change is the downward slope of the MAP curve. By the time it goes back up, the clutch is out and you are back on the throttle.

But at about 1 second a change, it needs improving.

Edited by Paul S on 16th May, 2009.

matnrach

152 Posts
Member #: 1074
Advanced Member

Northamptonshire

I have been wondering about measuring AFR pre-turbo (I assume that is what you are interested in)
I have found this
http://wbo2.com/lsu/Y258K01005e03mar21eng.pdf
which at the end of the document shows the change in pump current with pressure.
With this I guess you could post-process your data to calculate true AFR , or if your so inclined write some code to adjust the values from your lambda controllers for closed loop control.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Good to see you making significant progress (again). And the AFR match is good indeed.

It would be interesting to see what timing would be required if you switched the injectors around. I can see that you'd need more advance with an injector further away but 90 degrees is a lot. As you say it's probably due to the spray pattern. Might be that it would help speed up the fuel if an injector with a pencil spray pattern is further upstream.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 16th May, 2009 matnrach said:
I have been wondering about measuring AFR pre-turbo (I assume that is what you are interested in)
I have found this
http://wbo2.com/lsu/Y258K01005e03mar21eng.pdf
which at the end of the document shows the change in pump current with pressure.
With this I guess you could post-process your data to calculate true AFR , or if your so inclined write some code to adjust the values from your lambda controllers for closed loop control.

That's interesting, but I'm planning on bleeding off exhaust gas from inner and outer cylinders into some measuring tubes with the widebands in.

See my "Remote Turbo Manifold" thread.

matnrach

152 Posts
Advanced Member

Northamptonshire

Won't that still be at the same pressure as the manifold though?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 16th May, 2009 matnrach said:
Won't that still be at the same pressure as the manifold though?

No it will be at downpipe pressure. The small bore pipe will throttle the pressure down.

matnrach

152 Posts
Advanced Member

Northamptonshire

Yes, I just reaslised that , I was being a bit daft.
Sounds like a good idea. And the response should be reasonable too.
Might be worth checking the pressure though.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 16th May, 2009 Paul S said:

Cheeky young devil *happy*

EDIT: Actually I don't think that they are too bad considering that the clutch bites at half inch off the floor. Plus I was not trying.

The gear change is the downward slope of the MAP curve. By the time it goes back up, the clutch is out and you are back on the throttle.

But at about 1 second a change, it needs improving.

Despite the edit *happy* I made it about 2secs.

Room for improvement !!!

We mentioned it earlier, so I've wired up for the launch control/flat shift - yet another wire crammed into the Dsub (on pin 6 (SPR4)) - so it will be interesting to see how that works.

What are you intending to do next ???

More refinements on N/A or do some turbo trials, with or without dual wideband ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Have you noticed from the log how there is 150 degrees C difference in the EGTs between inner and outer cylinders?

I don't think that EGT data is of any use with the centre siamese exhaust port.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

What are you intending to do next ???

More refinements on N/A or do some turbo trials, with or without dual wideband ???

We just had a state of the union meeting and I decided to forget the Miglia for this year and get the turbo on the 998 - this engine.

Just an intercooler to weld, oil feed to sort, actuator bracket to make and we will be ready to go. Oh, and modify the downpipe as above.

The turbo may be goosed and clutch might be shot, but we will give it a go.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 16th May, 2009 Paul S said:
Have you noticed from the log how there is 150 degrees C difference in the EGTs between inner and outer cylinders?

I don't think that EGT data is of any use with the centre siamese exhaust port.

Not so sure....

I've looked at the plot again in more detail and they are VERY responsive, just look at their resonse to the gearchanges.

Are they through wall (direct in the gas stream), in pockets, or spot welded on the outside ???

The real point though, is the AFRs were as you wanted, pretty equal, so the TCs were just measuring cylinder/cylinders load - that's exactly how we monitor the individual cylinder performance of the big diesels at work.

What you need, to see if they are any use, is force a deviation of AFR under steady conditions and see if the TCs show a temperature change from weak or rich mixtures.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The thermocouples fit into the gas stream through comp fittings. I've set the end about 1cm from the port wall, so they should be giving accurate data.

I'm going to swap them around before I take another log to just check that one has not gone astray.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 17th May, 2009 Paul S said:

I'm going to swap them around before I take another log to just check that one has not gone astray.

I wouldn't have thought so, they were following each other very well - I think the 150 degree difference is to be expected - but everything is worth double checking.

Which make/supplier are they and I'll get the same (I assume they are K-type). The TechEdge allows up to 3 per controller so I may as well use the facility !!!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

These are the thermocouples:

http://www.tcdirect.co.uk/deptprod.asp?deptid=190/1

I used the 3mm by 150mm ones. They do the compression fittings as well.

Edited by Paul S on 17th May, 2009.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Just went out for a run in this car.

I'd forgotten how well it is running. For a highly geared 998, it's a real blast.

Just need the pending version of the new code and we will fit the turbo.

We might end up mapping it on the way to Stratford.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Have you loaded the interim version, ie, with the overlapping pulses glitch fixed (but not yet with the single pulse). ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 21st Jun, 2009 Rod S said:
Have you loaded the interim version, ie, with the overlapping pulses glitch fixed (but not yet with the single pulse). ???

No. I've been putting my efforts into getting the components sorted. Only time for one code change between now and Avon.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Just read this through, I've been trying to follow what you are up to and I think I'm 75% there, real impressive stuff, hats off to you for all the work that has gone into this.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

The hybrid mode is now available. Have a look at the msextra post for more details and the code link: http://www.msextra.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31663.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - Take Four
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: