Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > Turbo project - back on the road June 16

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

its landrover monsoon grey

On 11th Feb, 2011 kenny2 said:
ah, whats the colour?(i no grey) its similar to the 2011 incarnation of my mini!!

kenny2

514 Posts
Member #: 5362
Post Whore

wexford in ireland

very nice,

On 5th Jan, 2011 wolfie said:
he floated over to mine for a bit of ring

Coupe

998 Posts
Member #: 2178
Post Whore

Leyland, Lancs

Just had a look at that modular fuse box, never seen those before. Absolutely brilliant idea, I think I know what I'll be purchasing soon!

On 15th Jul, 2009 fastcarl said:
a breif struggle ensued but Will emerged the victor with a pair of undies in his possesion

On 21st Sep, 2009 apbellamy said:
No, but you did chuck your guts up over my front gate the Saturday before! You even managed to get a bit in your arm pit...

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

I've used 2 modules for mine - I know some may want to use more depending on how they wire the car up. I'll get some photos up over the weekend as it progresses

On 11th Feb, 2011 Coupe said:
Just had a look at that modular fuse box, never seen those before. Absolutely brilliant idea, I think I know what I'll be purchasing soon!

Miniwilliams

5329 Posts
Member #: 140
Proven 200+bhp & Avon Park 05,06,07 Class D 3rd place

it's taking shape well mate, really like it.

Best 1/4 mile 13.2 seconds @116 mph
First 5 port miniturbo to make over 200 bhp on a carb?
First 5 port miniturbo to make over 200 bhp on Injection?

http://www.mattwoodsphotography.com

T3Tone

1666 Posts
Member #: 252
Post Whore

Sunny suffolk

Love it, hope you can get it all finished for avon.

-MINI CLUBMAN 1380 TURBO-

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

so do I!

On 12th Feb, 2011 T3Tone said:
Love it, hope you can get it all finished for avon.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

managed to get a good day at the workshop on Saturday. I've managed to get my head round the wiring loom nd have relocated all the original fuses into the new fuse box inside the car. I was a little surprised how little I had to add to thr existing wiring to relocated to the new fuse box, although it did help that I've pulled the original loom to bits and cut out the excess.

Anyway, I was planning to run the wiring for the alarm, central locking and electric windows in a separate loom but for ease of being able to pull it all out later, I'll be better keeping it all together in one. Now on the look out for multi plugs so i can dissconnect the main loom from the wiring to the doors.

Finally, given the possibility i've screwed something up, I thought i'd connect up a battery and test as much of it as i can before I pull it all out to wrap in loom tape.

Anyway, a few phots of progress - may not look much but I'm certainly happy with the results!

loom run through the inner wing;

I've got this right angle bulkhead fitting and conduit to run the wiring through the inner wing

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Mate i have made my loom in about in 5 bits with Mate-N-Lock connectors.

You can get them from VWP, just get some spare pins when you order and go for 15 way plugs so you can add to it as you go if you get me.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-...iconnectors.php

Hope this helps simon.

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

well a bit of an update;

I haven't had a huge amount of time recently as work has gone daft but i've made some slow progress.

The original sections of the wiring loom are pretty much extended/ altered and wired in the the new fuse box position. I've not wrapped it yet as I want to wait until i have all the gauges so i can include the power for these as well. Still a few more bits to tidy up for the alarm and leccy windows as well but as i've not replaced the soldering iron yet i've moved onto other issues.

First off was to get the drive shafts assembled and fitted up whcih went predictably smoothly as all had been pre-prepared and painted. The only frustration is that the car is suffering from condensation and a great deal of the painted suspension parts are starting to corrode again.

I got my manifold and exhaust elbow sorted by Turbophil which arrived last week so I spend Saturday building up the turbo and cleaning up the original oil feed and fitting that all on to the car to allow me to mock up the exhaust and fettle the clamp for the downpipe and also line up and fit the boss for the lambda.

As some of you may have noted from some of my other posts, the Playmini exhaust system and maniflow downpipe are the same bore. On saturday I cut the downpipe down a little and intended to weld a sleeve over it to form a socket for the system but I ended up getting a section of stainless with one end flared from my local exhaust fabricator. In hind sight I should have just taken the un-modified downpipe down and got him to flare that for a neater job.

Anyway, I got a couple of hours last night to go down the shed and welded up the downpipe and fitted everything up. The only issue I have with it now is that with the bracket i've made up to tie the downpipe to the gearbox is only leaving 1mm or so clearance between the downpipe and pot joint so I'll need to alter that.

as for this week, my plan is to get the carb re-built and hopefully fitted up this weekend - note to myself to get hold of a suitable needle

Rob

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

another update;

managed to get down to the shed on Friday night to re-build the carb another good day on Saturday and a couple of hours on Sunday.

Using Tom's guide, I set about re-building the carb. It was pretty straight forward apart from trying to replace the spindle bushes; I managed to damage the carb around the dashpot seal recess. It may well have been fine to use but I had another base kicking about so I stripped that and swapped everything over.

Saturday say a significant change to the engine bay; I got the carb on, brake master cylinder and final brake lines completed and also the fuel hoses connected up in the bay and also below the floor. As commented on in another topic, I have a complete turbo engine taken from a metro a few years back. At the time, I kept as much of it complete as i could when removing it so i could use it as a guide for re-installation. Anyway, the top connection on the fuel pressure regulator was connected to the anti-run-on takeoff on the carb although there was a 'Y' connector in line; I assume tihs went to the anti-run on valve? Anyway - caused a bit of confusion for the plumbing but i've gone with the guidance on here anyway.

On sunday, I got the waterpump fitted, alternator, starter and radiator. I'm using a belt drive kit and the bottom pulley doesn't quite line up with the pump and alternator. I actually had to take off the engine mount to get the alternator belt in. Anyhow, I spacered the pulley and alternator out to suit and all looks good now.

When I bought the new rad, it has a couple of scrathes in the top tank; while waiting for the paint to dry on the cowling, I decided to give it a quick touch up - big mistake ans the paint reacted so spent an hour stripping it back to bare metal and re-painting; c'est la vie!

Anyway, I'm happy with the progress and now feel I'm geting closer to getting the car started. The action plan list for now is;

1) fit oil filter housing & pressure release valve
2) get hold of oil pressure gauge and fit
3) get hold of boost gauge and fit
4) fabricate brackets and mount intercooler
5) make intercooler pipes
6) fit dump valve
7) fit fuel tank
8) complete wiring

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

9) drink beer?

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

there is position on a list for beer - it should run throughout!

madmk1

5417 Posts
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

Top work mate its looking good.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

cheers Simon - should be good for Avon at this rate!

madmk1

5417 Posts
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

this year lol

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

lets not discuss years - that way i'll not miss another deadline!

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Tell you what, get it to Avon 2011 and I'll nominate our team buyer (Carl) to buy you a pint!!!

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

now there is an offer I can't refuse!

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

well it has been a while since I last updated and to be honest, not much has changed. Work and home life has taken over and it is only in the last couple of weeks I've managed to get any time at the shed.

A little bit of enthusiasm has been found from Avon and MITP and I set myself a realistic target of mid October to get the car running. As it stands, I need to get the following sorted to let it happen;

1) complete the wiring; a couple more hours should have this done to allow testing of the circuits before I take it all out to wrap.
2) alter crankcase breather to clear intercooler pipes
3) make up intercooler pipes
4) fit fueltank
5) fit dumpvalve
6) mount coilpack
7) fit heater pipes
8) fit up steering column
9) fabricate radiator top bracket
10) oil and coolant

this should let me get it turning over at least.

beyond the starting, i've still got to finish fitting up the trim and the paint needs a final polish to finish off. Dare I say it, I could have it ready for next show season............

no photos at the moment but in honesty it just looks the same as the last one!

Miniwilliams

5329 Posts
Member #: 140
Proven 200+bhp & Avon Park 05,06,07 Class D 3rd place

Come on Rob, the final push :)

Best 1/4 mile 13.2 seconds @116 mph
First 5 port miniturbo to make over 200 bhp on a carb?
First 5 port miniturbo to make over 200 bhp on Injection?

http://www.mattwoodsphotography.com

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

I know Mat - its simply a case of finding time and you know how all those little things can take for ever to finish!

Jason G

4360 Posts
Member #: 1459
En-suite user

Braintree, Essex

Its looking good Rob :)

On 19th Jan, 2010 wil_h said:
I would start the furthest place from the finish.

On 24th Mar, 2012 apbellamy said:
I feel all special knowing that I've given your mum my wood.

Been neglecting Turbo'd 'A' series..............

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow

I can't believe how quickly time goes by these days and how long it has been since the last update. I can however believe the number of 'Avon' deadlines have come and gone!

I am moving forward however getting time to work on the car around family and work hasn't been too easy. What used to be a good 5-6 hours on a Saturday has turned into 1.5hrs on a Sunday evening so progress has been slow.

Anyhow, I've moved on in the last few weeks and have been working on the following;

Cooling system; a few may recall my confusion a few months back regarding which system set-up to use. I ended up using the later cooper style set-up with a sandwich plate; All is generally fine although the top radiator outlet is a bit square and didn't let the intercooler pipes sit down tightly so I've fitted the original one; The only issue with this is that the hose now has a slight twist as the original outlet points up a bit. I see if this creates any problems long-term but at the moment it is allowing everything else to site nicely.

I'm also using the late model 2-speed heater; I didn’t realise this had the heater valve internally. I've played around a bit with the position externally and placed it up near the bulkhead next to the fuel pressure regulator. I've not connected up the cable control but am hoping I've left a suitable run for it to work without snagging.

Wiring; the trial is almost complete. I was going to pull all this out to wrap it but decided I'd get the car running first so that I could test everything fully before. Only bits left to do are connect up the power in tails to the fuse box and run the supply to the fuel pump. I reused the original loom so I'll need to wait and see if I have any faults with the circuits once I power up.

Fuel Tank; got this in last night before I left; a bit of buggering about with the strap as it was loose with the MPi tank but it is in nice and snug now. I couldn't get an internet connection at the shed to check the plumbing for the hoses so that will wait until another day.

Rear lights; I have gone for the Innocenti rear lights as i can hide the fog light in them. I loose the reversing lights but it means I don't have to have a separate fog light which the car requires. I had these fitted before but wasn't happy with the condition of the chrome bases. As you know, I've been running with the satin black theme on many of the fittings so decided to paint them black. i got them fitted up on Friday night but I'm not sure if I've not gone to far with the satin black

I spent a fair bit of time on the intercooler. On the back of one of the others, I'd planned to use an Audi TT cooler mounted above the starter motor. I had this mounted up fine however the original install I was copying used a Nic plenum and made it far easier to get the inlet pipework sorted (I’m using a servo). I started looking at alternatives and bought a couple of different coolers, namely a modded sierra cossy unit and a Seat Ibiza unit. Both came with an assortment of hoses and pipes and with a bit of plying about, I decided to go with the Seat unit, principally because I want to keep the bonnet closed and clear of vents. The cossy unit would have fitted fine but I wouldn't have got good airflow without either ducting air or cutting vents in the bonnet.

With a bit of work, the finished article can be seen in the photos. The area I need to work on is the oil pressure switch and gauge feed which is a bit close to the back of the cooler. I may play about with differing adapters for this.

Under the bonnet the list is getting shorter for elements to address before initial start-up. At the moment the list runs along the following;

mount coil pack and sort wiring for same
torque head and set valve gaps
fit breather to rocker cover and fit
make up new crankcase breather (the original one won't fit now I've got the cooler pipe running directly above it)
earth strap
oil pressure gauge to fit
boost gauge to fit
fluids
make final connection to fuel tank (fitted this last night so only have the hoses to run from the pipes under the car to the tank outlet and run the power supply from the fuse box

Other issues still to sort;
A few bits of the bodywork require polishing
bleed brakes
fit grease nipples and grease up suspension
fit wheel arches
fit grille - not sure if I'm going to fit a late pressed steel (black) or cooper one yet
Internally;
rebuilt door handles and fit
make up door cards and fit
Fit dash
carpets and trip panels

The list doesn't seem too long but everything seems to take for ever. Example, I went to re-fit the accelerator pedal at the weekend and the studs didn't line up with the holes in the bracket (no idea why) so I spent 30 minutes filing out and re-painting the bracket - should have been a 2 min job!

As for completion, lets just say it will be completed sometime!

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

That's a neat IC install, I like that!

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

Home > Show Us Yours! > Turbo project - back on the road June 16
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->