Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Feeling the love with the mini again!

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

8-)
Had an awesome day yesterday with the mini. Endaf, Mark Chandler (aka cuddles) and myself spent the day testing it at pembrey. We arrived at the track just before 9, and already my mondeo was telling me the air temp was 22 degrees, the forcast was 26 degrees so thought the mini may suffer in the heat. First session out I was driving with Cuddles next to me, car felt awesome, all the previous torque steer problems have now fanished. Not sure exactly what got rid of it, my guess is a combination of removing the bump steer, squaring the car up and running on slicks. The power out of the engine is awesome on the track, coming out of the corners in 2nd would often light up both front slicks. After just a few laps I got my lap time down to 1:13.71

Cuddles was next behind the wheel, this time I was passanger, cuddles was straight on it, and after 2 laps got a 1:11.57, next up was Endaf, I stayed in a passanger to learn from the pro's Endaf banged in a 1:07.37.

The car had done about 30 laps water temp was around 90, oil temp about 120, so we brought it in to cool down and check over it, made a few suspension tweaks.

This session I was behing the wheel again, with cuddles next to me knowing what the car could do I had a lot more confidence with the car and pushed it harder than I'd ever done before, I was caught up in quite a bit of traffic but managed to get a 1:10.58

We then came in again and noticed a puncture in one of the rear tyres, we didn't have any spare soft rear tyres, so we had to put some of the harder compound 770's on the back.

By now Endaf and Cuddles are both getting quite eager to beat each others times so they decide to go out on there own. Cuddles goes out first and set quickest time of the day with a 1:07.48, I didn't let Endaf or cuddles know his lap time, then Endaf went out and did a 1:06.14. This time is quicker than the miglias have ever done around Pembrey, (half second quicker than Hacky did last time the miglias where there). Endaf thought he could go about a second quicker once he knew the car more. Even quicker qith the right shocks on the car, and some tow out on the back of the car.

The Day went on with us all taking the car out giving it a real hamering, taking out different passangers. For some reason they would not allow us to use a camera in the car, would have had some great footage, it was by far the quickest thing on the track, and got loads of people around the car in the paddock.

There was a photographer there on the day so I'm looking forward to the photo's.

We have agreed now that we have found the limit of the shocks, and need some ohlins on there, the breaks felt awesome, the carbon metalic pards really are amazing.

So all in all an awsome day, I think we must have done 100 laps between us, the car never missed a beat. I have said in the past that I don't think a mini turbo running over 15psi could ever hold together on the track being driven hard for 10 laps in a race. Well I've just proven my self wrong.

After a few rolling road sessions, one race day, and a hard track day the car is still going strong. I will remove the eninge now and check through it but so far all looks good. There is a suspect fault with one of the CV's after the boot split the car does feel harder to push, no suprise 255bhp and a dry CV don't go well together. I think I may also have a slight boost leak, because as the day went on, we seamed to get a tiny bit of lag, I'm guessing the intercooler has a small split after running 30psi.

All in all, an awesome day, and I'm feeling the love again.

Thanks for all who's helped me over the years with my car, Mainly Endaf Owens and our own Turbo Dave, and many others.

Cheers also to Avonbar and swiftune who have always given me special prices.

And no my engine wasn't build by morspeed, 100% made in wales :)

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

fab

1497 Posts
Member #: 100
Parisien Turbo Expert

Paris\' suburb

nice to hear this sound of love, your mini's awesome, no reason why it shouldn't be like this.
The most impressive, is the reliability you have, track's not as road,it could tear down in few minites an engine wich could have lived a year on road.
cheers
Fabrice

Prawn

667 Posts
Member #: 5232
Post Whore

basingstoke

What an awesome Story :)

Awesome car Jim, one of the most amazing minis around for sure.

It's nice when things work perfectly after years of development isn't it?

Mr. Prawn, the friendly Crustacean- slowly making steps towards forced induction.

matty

8297 Posts
Member #: 408
Turbo Love Palace Fool

Aylesbury

Sounds like an awesome day mate! I managed to get some faith back in mine again over the weekend too.

Hopefully some footage will turn up on youtube of yours on the track!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fusion-Fabri..._homepage_panel

www.fusionfabs.co.uk

1/4mile in 13.2sec @ 111 terminal on 15psi

Si P

784 Posts
Member #: 912
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us&...fa-20b504a0d89a

Great report, and great credit to you.

Si

I drill holes in everything..!

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Some pics on here Jimbo

http://www.photodirectuk.com/MSE09/12%20PE20090531/index.htm

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Nic

9311 Posts
Member #: 59
First mini turbo to get in the 12's & site perv

Herefordshire

About time you blew the dust off it!!

Well done

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

I'm not feeling the love. Mine broke down....

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Turbo Phil

4620 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Good stuff Jimbo, an awesome car indeed.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

greats stuff!

how much bump steer was removed?

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

richminiturbo.

2370 Posts
Member #: 719
Post Whore

Horndean - Near Portsmouth

Looks fantastic Jim!!

Which wheels are they you had on the rear with the yellow centres?

Mr Joshua

2485 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

*crying* Thats beautifull

Own the day

johnK

1425 Posts
Member #: 690
Post Whore

Norfolk

nice going fella

If Carling made Mini engines
it would probably be like this one!

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
455bhp per ton

cheers for the comments, and cheers for the link Tom,

I got rid of about a degree of bumpsteer.

The yellow wheels on the back are Endaf's I think there MB's, but running the wrong 770 (front) compound slicks. .

run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

a degree sounds like a fair bit,

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Ollie

524 Posts
Member #: 1380
Post Whore

Swindon

Great Read! I can only imagine your well chuffed with the way it performed and didn't give any suspect damage throughout an almighty thrashing.

would have been really interesting to see a vid, especially with all your trick components you had showing on your last one.

Well done mate

On 2nd Mar, 2008 joeybaby83 said:
neil_g, with all due respect, your the worse salesman on TM since rob_h tried to sell his own ass

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

lovely job, you have got one seriously sorted mini.

I only hope my engine holds together tomorrow on the rolling road, if it doesn't break I'm definately building a k1100 turbo motor next year.:)

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

It looks so good on those slicks...

I must say, shouldn't it be faster than a Mig by quite a margin? LSD, power, same suspension etc? What does Endaf say?

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Sprocket

11046 Posts
Member #: 965
Post Whore

Preston On The Brook

Did that buggy thing forget to turn left after entering the track, sign posted 'Off Road This Way <---'

On 26th Oct, 2004 TurboDave16v said:
Is it A-Series only? I think it should be...
So when some joey comes on here about how his 16v turbo vauxhall is great compared to ours, he can be given the 'bird'...

On 26th Oct, 2004 Tom Fenton said:
Yep I agree with TD........

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
455bhp per ton

On 1st Jun, 2009 Vegard said:
It looks so good on those slicks...

I must say, shouldn't it be faster than a Mig by quite a margin? LSD, power, same suspension etc? What does Endaf say?

You'd think it would be massively faster than a miglia, but the miglia's are so finely setup, and there is not many places on the track where you can use full power.

Also we found the limit of my £100 each shocks, I suppose thats why the miglias have shocks which are over £1000 a corner.
I'll be putting some cash together for some sexy ohlins shocks and then we some do some more testing.

run a 1/4 in one!!

giallofly

I helped keep this site alive!

4436 Posts
Member #: 164
The Stig..

Newport Pagnell

Great stuff Jim, realy makes a difference having Endaf and Mark there, those two know there onions.

I found with MOT 13.14 or 15 psi was more than enough on track, power and reliabitly but still leaving that extra suirt if needed.

You will get no more top end speed on less boost.

Carl and myself are putting the Don engine in the Metro so we should have a good battle at the fastest Mini in th world race... *smiley*

JF.

On 21st Jan, 2011 fastcarl said:

therefore acheiving two things , a sore knob and a beer bellyl

BENROSS

9812 Posts
Member #: 332
Resident Cylinder Head Modifier

Mitsi Evo 7, 911, Cossie. & all the chavs ...... won no problem

it just shows if you put a car togeather well thought out, with all the right bits and given patience skill and experteese
hats of jimster well done!
enjoy your racing

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

On 2nd Jun, 2009 giallofly said:
Carl and myself are putting the Don engine in the Metro so we should have a good battle at the fastest Mini in th4 world race... *smiley*

JF.

I'd like to see that!

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
455bhp per ton

Sounds good Jon, which one are you doing Lydon hill or silverstone classic?

run a 1/4 in one!!

paul wiginton
Forum Mod

5933 Posts
Member #: 784
9 times Avon Park Class C winner

Milton Keynes

Sounds like a brilliant day out. Great car

Paul

I seriously doubt it!

Home > General Chat > Feeling the love with the mini again!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: