Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Rod trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - Take Five - R

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

And I haven't used TunerStudio yet..... As per miniminor once he reminded me, I'm sure I've seen this in one of the ini files before, but I can't find the right one yet...... I did a quick search and there are LOTS of ini files in the whole Megatune package.

I need to get back to my core discipline for a while and go and grind/weld some metal.....

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Sorry to be the bearer of some more bad news, but VE Table 1 is for cylinders 1 and 4.

I might be wrong again.

Chin up *happy*

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

So we're back to here then....

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...id=274370&fr=75

(near the top of page 4)

I knew I'd made a fundamental mistake and today and I've compounded it by describing that mistake backwards, mistakenly......

In which case I'm sort of glad I forgot to save the msq file last night when I had it working right because what I ran on the JimStim this morning to get the different pulse widths is obviously the wrong way around.....

I'm going to go and get my really big angle grinder (180mm with a diamond disk) out and do something properly tommorow and it won't involve petrol or PCs......

EDIT - typos

Edited by Rod S on 10th Jun, 2009.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

The latest version of MegaTune....

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Rod,

Don't be too hard on yourself. This is brand new stuff and you're only the second one trying to make this work. There's no written recipe yet.

There's a lot of things to remember and even though you do understand all of the theory behind it, the way the code is done involved some choices which I made for logical reasons based on the code but it's not necessarily intuitive or even logical in a tuning context (but hopefully it is consistent).

So have fun grinding :)

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Jean,

Sorry - just frustration kicking in when I thought I had got something right but it was for the wrong reasons.

I'll do a couple more days experimenting on the garage floor and post results so any more fundamentall issues can be pointed out....

Then I will put it to one side and then fix up the shell to test it for real.

And I'll probably use one of my smaller grinders on the shell :)

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

OK, I wasn't going to this tonight until I had a fresh can of petrol in the morning but..... (I raided the lawnmower...)

Sorry, two of them blurred, but they were from this

It's amazing once you understand the code, how easy it is to work it.

I had reset both VE tables equal for this test.

And it idled a lot smoother despite me not having yet set up the PWM parameters properly....

EDIT - and Oh F***, I've just realised from the bottom left of the Megatune file print - I forgot to save the msq again..... and it's all turned off now *frown*

Edited by Rod S on 10th Jun, 2009.

miniminor63

1849 Posts
Member #: 672
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

good news Rod!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Well done - nice and close at idle.

Don't worry about saving the .msq - the MS has it in memory and will still be there when you switchit back on.

So, same VEs but different timng?

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

That looks really good!

And as Paul mentioned, if you did burn the tables they will still have the latest data when you switch it on. Unless you forgot to burn them... That's another reason to use TS because it does the burn more or less automatically.

Jean

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Yes, VEs reset equal on both tables and just the timing changed like you first suggested.

Now I know what the timing figures mean, it just makes so much more sense for where to start...

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

I'm surprised that you can get such AFRs with just timing. That means you don't have much wall wetting which is good since it should make tuning easier.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

It could be that Pulse 2 timed at TDC is carrying over, but very good none the less.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

I hope so - I went to a lot of trouble to get the injectors as close as possible to the runner/head interface for just this reason... (to avoid wall wetting).

The AFRs were very stable once I'd got some good experimental timing figures loaded - that's why I took four photos in quick succesion to show they were stable....

But remeber the actual pulse length, hence wall wetting, is low in this test.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

well done rod .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Congratulations, looks like the hard work is starting to pay off.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

First, thanks Robert... but a lot to do yet..

On 10th Jun, 2009 Paul S said:
It could be that Pulse 2 timed at TDC is carrying over, but very good none the less.

Possibly, but I'm running very short pulses in this setup.

Very short pulses should seperate the cylinders.

I'll try again tommorow with a new can of petrol ......

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

It is a very short pulse, but it is probably just hitting the inner cylinder valve as the piston passes BDC, 180 degrees after leaving the injector.

So it may be carrying over to the outer cylinder.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Paul, you've been doing this a lot longer than me so very possibly - it's only today I understood what the timing figures actually meant....

It would be intereting if we could actuallyplot on a graph what the fuel/air speed actually is down each of our chosen posrt designs....

This could help with choosing injector timing....

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

You already have a spreadsheet winging its way to you.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

how great is it that two such competent people are working on this :)

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 10th Jun, 2009 Paul S said:
You already have a spreadsheet winging its way to you.

Recieved, as I was sending a really shitty email to my local council over bins.... I'll have a look tomorrow after the airport run,

Thanks.....

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 10th Jun, 2009 mini13 said:
how great is it that two such competent people are working on this :)

Joe,
It's nice to be getting more fully involved now I actually have an engine running it (albeit only on the garage floor at the moment) but a few more people interested in 5 port injection (so no dig at you) would help.....

So anyone else out there using 5 port and considering port injection who would like to give this a go and justify all the code writing Jean has done ????

Gerald O

8 Posts
Member #: 5706

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

On 10th Jun, 2009 Rod S said:
...So anyone else out there using 5 port and considering port injection who would like to give this a go and justify all the code writing Jean has done ????
I'm running this code on an 1800 B engine right now if that counts. Same 5-port issues, just bigger.

I'm currently running from a single VE table. My setup is only good to about 5000 RPM and then I run out of injection capacity. I'm probably going to have to add a set of secondary injectors and employ staging.

I'm using start of pulse timing and my timing tables advance with RPM, with the timings for the inners advancing more at higher RPMs than the outers to avoid the pulses overlapping.

It's not optimised yet by any means, but I've been driving the car (MGB) daily and have put almost 1000 miles on it now running this code without any problems.

I documented my conversion here: http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.ph...502#msg-1018502
and some on the MSExtra site.

Edited by Gerald O on 13th Jun, 2009.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Nice thread and very nice setup. I also like the educating aspect of the thread. Funny that those who don't seem to get it are those who are not asking questions but telling you how it's done and how they've done it.

Do you have any logs showing the AFR distribution you're able to get with your setup and tune? That would be interesting to compare with Paul's and Rod's.

On a different subject, there is a new version of the code out but it doesn't yet have the hybrid 2-pulse 1-pulse mode. However, it does correct the missing pulse bug and also corrects other issues from the base code. It's available here: http://www.msextra.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31530. I'll be working on the hybrid mode in the coming week.

Jean

Home > Rod trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - Take Five - R
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: