Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > General Chat > Just had my car on the rollers and finally a figure im not embaraced of!

Carl

2924 Posts
Member #: 95
Post Whore

liverpool-on-sea

well done excellent result that!!

no longer a series, but still 1.3 turbo.

On 28th Nov, 2008 Sprocket said:
Oh now that is a long shaft you have Carl.

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

On 15th Jun, 2009 Rob Gavin said:

how was crail?

annoying lol 28 runs all consistant mid 13's i have never been able to get past a 13.4 at crail regardless of stripping the car or trying sticky tyres, launch in 1st, 2nd, lots of air in the tyres, no air in the tyres, roll out gently riding the clutch, roast the tyres, everything .. bloody car *happy* really should get some weight out her. :) interestingly even having a passenger in the car doesnt affect my times *oh well*

Cheers T3tone and carl!

Brmatt, the reason is pretty simple :) and 4 reasons.

1. 1.6/8 liners are wafer thin, like after-eight mint thin.

2. there are two types of 1400 block, eary "wet" liner, and later "damp" liner. the 1600 and 1800 are only avaliable in damp liner. Simply the damp liner is supported half way up the liner, there is absolutely NO support for the top of the liner atall, so that after-eight mint thick bit of steel can wobble and crack all over the place. on wet liner engines the top of the liner is held by the block and the rest of the liner dangles down(surrounded by coolant) so the buisness end of the liner, where the power is made, is supported.

a late damp liner bottom end, would you trust them to boost *surprised*

3. on the wet liner 1400's the liner has a ridge which extends up inside the fire - ring of the gasket, protecting it from the flame front. less stress on teh gasket!

4. Head gaskets never failed on the early engiens. it was the redesign of the engien to damp liner to increase the capacity that brought about alot of the head gasket pain :)

a wet liner bottom end for comparrison, note the liners are nearly twice as thick AND supported by the alloy block all the way around :)

Edited by evolotion on 15th Jun, 2009.

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

robert

6744 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

well done denis , you should be bloody proud !

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

On 15th Jun, 2009 robert said:

cheers :) my expereiments with finding a cheap WI pump have failed though, all i have tried so far have siezed after a weeks use *surprised* may have to call aquamist and open my wallet yet :( not been brave enough to try it on the car yet though, still on the test rig! if anyone on here knows of a reliable and cheap water pump capable of sustaining 60+psi let me know pelase 8-)

Denis O'Brien.

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

lol i just used a windscreen washer pump .*happy*

On 15th Jun, 2009 evolotion said:

cheers :) my expereiments with finding a cheap WI pump have failed though, all i have tried so far have siezed after a weeks use *surprised* may have to call aquamist and open my wallet yet :( not been brave enough to try it on the car yet though, still on the test rig! if anyone on here knows of a reliable and cheap water pump capable of sustaining 60+psi let me know pelase 8-)

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

lol i just used a windscreen washer pump .*happy*

cowboy *happy*

Denis O'Brien.

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Member #: 1592
Smart Guy!

mainland europe near ze germans

have you read this rbracing bit? ( http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html) of course they build THE BEST..

but you might be able to get some info there.

NOw for the really odd option i thought off.

A regulated compressed air bottle (think scuba) into a water tank.

Should be more than enough for drag racing. and pressure is mostly limited by the fittings: 1000psi should be adequate for even the weirdest WI applications.

No moving parts. pretty much unlimited flow (multiple nozzles per tank ..i don;t see a limit really bar the volume of water..

I know.. weird idea.

well ya'll better start shooting holes in this theoretical contraption :)

Edited by Sir Yun on 15th Jun, 2009.

That sir, is not rust, it is the progressive mass reduction system

http://aseriesmodifications.wordpress.com/

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

LOL,

i was thinking a sealed water tank fed by boost pressure and a switched valve to a jet before the compressor,

injecting water before the compressor would mash it nicely, might even increase the comp efficiency slightly too, could be hard on the wheel tho...

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

im keen to only inject after the turbo, so rules out low pressure pumps and pre-turbo stuff. alot of the american ktis ude "shureflo" pumps, just got to find a cheap stockist and also come up with a novel flow meter to limit boost should the pump fail :)

Denis O'Brien.

Mattlad

127 Posts
Member #: 1871
Advanced Member

Chesterfield, Derbyshire

I never understood why people went for the 1400 VVC cause my 1800 VVC Rover is running 143bhp standard,

Now I know, great explanation!

Thank Matt

robert

6744 Posts
Post Whore

uranus

just have a pressure switch in the pre solenoid water line denis , cuts boost if theres no water pressure .eg cuts power to the boost controller . on a riley i worked on with a gypsy moth aero engine , it ended up with a lemonade bottle full of water ,then pumped up to a rediculous pressure ,then just a valve for on and off ,that worked well .

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

very impressed with this, well done. do you know what weight the K series engine is?

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Bloody hell, those liners really are thin, my 205 is now running over 1 bar on wet liners, they have no support at the top either, but are quite a lot more substantial than those!

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

sweet robert :) . will come up with something before avon anyways, feel class I may be a bit tougher this year, certainly quite a bit stirring on the 16v forums :)

jimster, 85kg for a dressed engine and 32kg for box and gear linkage

just fluids ontop of that, 4.5 litres of oil, 2 litres of gear oil, and ~4 litres of coolant to fill my cooling system.

comes to 120kg ish if you include the clutch. on the same skales a 998 + box + anciliries (same as the k basically) came in at 135 . so if the figures are out the comparison isnt, sod all in it though!

tom, yeah, skary thing is the liners get even thinner where they enter the alloy block *oh well*

Denis O'Brien.

carl talbot

326 Posts
Member #: 1323

Seems like the wrong way around ?
aren't wet liners the ones surrounded by coolant
damp liners supported by block , but getting damp with coolant

my renault 16tx has wet liners , they fit into block at base , large squared off tops that support each other

evolotion

2909 Posts
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

On 17th Jun, 2009 carl talbot said:
Seems like the wrong way around ?
aren't wet liners the ones surrounded by coolant
damp liners supported by block , but getting damp with coolant

my renault 16tx has wet liners , they fit into block at base , large squared off tops that support each other

no my descriptions are the correct way around for the k :)this engine is different from the norm. on the damp liner engines 2/3 of the liner is held by the block at the bottom and never gets wet, the top 1/3rd is in direct contact with the coolant and gets wet.

the wet liner engines have the very top of the liner supported by the block, and the very bottom of the liner is sealed by an o-ring the entire liner inbetween is exposed directly to coolant :) i guess the damp liner k is a wet liner in the traditional sence but the names have stuck this way to differenciate between the two block types :)

Denis O'Brien.

Sir Yun

510 Posts
Member #: 1592
Smart Guy!

mainland europe near ze germans

look at this for a pump :

http://galileo.spaceports.com/~wolfhart/pumpe6.htm

it is bloody brilliant !

That sir, is not rust, it is the progressive mass reduction system

http://aseriesmodifications.wordpress.com/

Home > General Chat > Just had my car on the rollers and finally a figure im not embaraced of!
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: