Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Actuator Pre-load

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

I'm planning to fit the turbo to the 998 in the next few days at long last.

I'm using a standard R5GTT, Garrett T2 turbo and actuator.

Any idea what boost the standard actuator runs at and what sort of preload I should set it at for about 7psi boost to start with?

Thanks.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

0.540 - 0.610 bar = 0.38 mm
0.740 - 0.820 bar = 4.00 mm

theres the rod movement at different pressure paul,,so prob ,0.75 bar average id guess at . usual pre load is half a hole tension .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Thanks Robert.

Half a hole it is then.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

shane

2619 Posts
Member #: 1246
Post Whore

Lowestoft, Suffolk.

Agree, half a hole. Nic advised me of this when building mine and I achieved 6psi.
Cheers
Shane

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Yes, half a hole gave me 8 psi boost.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

We need to up the boost for MITP.

So what do I need to get 12 psi?

3/4 hole?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

For the record, it took a total of eight full turns on the 1/4 UNF actuator rod to get up to 12 psi.

That's roughly 1/2 psi per turn.

Took all afternoon doing it in stages and having to cool it down with the airline between runs so that we could adjust the rod.

iain
Site Admin

8506 Posts
Member #: 16
Sold the turbo and seeing what the C20XE can do!

Near Lincoln

i put an R clip through then i can do it hot on the rollers with pliers *smiley*

Johnny

1183 Posts
Member #: 6926
Post Whore

Accrington

sorry to resurrect and old thread but this ties in with what im asking.

I have bought a t2 hybrid turbo and its all fitted, but ive had to temporarily set the preload to 1 1/2 holes...(cause the actuator rod isnt long enough) i drove the car home and i dare not use full throttle.. i gave it a blast on my street but i took my foot off the throttle when it got to 10psi. i found a website that sells an actuator very similar to mine and it says its standard 5psi...and im assuming that its 5psi at half a holes preload? it did take a hell of a lot to pull the rod out compared to my old t3 one. does the more effort needed to pull the rod mean its a higher boost actuator?

Johnny

1183 Posts
Post Whore

Accrington

This is the actuator i have.

Attachments:

stevieturbo

3574 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

Obviously the more pre-load you add, yes the more boost it will take to operate. If indeed it actually has any travel left to operate.

Lengthen the actuating rod.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Use a foot pump or similar connected to the boost line on the actuator to pump it up a little, this will push the rod out enough to get it onto the arm.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

Johnny

1183 Posts
Post Whore

Accrington

i bought a little thinga-ma-jig to use with the footpump idea, but then i just thought, fuck it, take it all off and do it right! anyway to wrap this up, that actuator is a 9-10psi spring with HALF a hole preload... i had it at 1 and a half holes at first :S good thing i never fully belted it!!!

Home > Help Needed / General Tech Chat > Actuator Pre-load
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: