Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > lil grey

Miniac

104 Posts
Member #: 10210
Advanced Member

Durban, South Africa

Hey Taz, the only reason it took a couple of days was because I was on night shift and reading it during my breaks. Appreciate the offer and will send a PM soon. Loving your build mate.

Edited by Miniac on 3rd Mar, 2013.

Life is always a matter of opinion and quite frankly, no ones opinion really matters.

t@z

2054 Posts
Member #: 452
Post Whore

Chester, UK

hi bit of an update(ish)

i've not been in the garage for ageeeeeees and still not been in there. weather shit so thats my excuse. sorry also to ^^ as i've still not taken dims for him of the std plenum as he asked.

anyway. head from TP.
- made a hole
- matched my exhaust manifold to my head
- found a crack in manifold (yay)
- postal ppl bent my studs so need to replace those now *sigh*

head mk2 by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

also some goodies turned up *happy*

plenanaium by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

im busy with work so dont expect much in the way of progress but if i can be arse'd to work on it i'll update :)

www.twitter.com/lilpinkiy

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

So anyway spoke to lee during the week and asked if we could go to the workshop to do some work on my stuff and maybe get his head done for the dry decking; copying what turbophil had done to mine.

My list was
- fit take off's for dry decking
- modify take off on block for engine steady bracket
- get lees advice on crack in manifold phil found (top guy for spotting this)
- brain storm the plenum

Lee's
- get head milled

we spent a lot of time doing a lot of nothing trying to find out feet for the first hour and talking about this n that.

however once we got going this was the outcome.

crack in manifold

mani_crack by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

lee actually found two so he did this for the magician at there work to sort out this week for me.

mani_crackfix by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

mani_crackfix2 by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

i then messed around with the black area to make that all fit, not something thats really hard just helps having the right tools. Also had to take of some meat for the heads of the bolts as they fowled on the corner.

drydeck_mount by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

test fit, the hose need cutting down a lot!!!

dry_decktest by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

now time for the plendalanium

as you know this is what i got cut out.

plen_test by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

after some discussion i actually in the end decided to remove the restrictor ring which was actually a piss easy which a flame and knocking the tab up. only problem was that i had had the hole cut to exactly the id of the ring so it now needed opening *sigh*

lee started his magic and measuring within a fag papers width and this is is set up

hole_open by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

once done it was ok, gonna be a tight fit but it needs to be. im not fitting it in there till i've got the frame done as there is some more fiddly stuff to do first.

plen_restring by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

plen_tabring by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

bit of an off the beaten track question but does the ring need to touch the back of the chamber to seal the long top bit?

we ran out of time and never got lees head done but i think he wants to do more stuff to it first anyway.

thanks for reading and well hopefully in a few weeks i'll have the plenum welded and i may have some templates for sale if anyone is interested as i got 3 cut sooooo.... but i'll have to let you peeps know incase i fuck any up.

Edited by t@z on 20th Apr, 2013.

madmk1

5417 Posts
Member #: 6181
Double hard bastard

brookwood woking

When I made my one, I made it so the ring went all the way in. I will be up for some bits of alloy lol. Wink Wink.

I have started posting on Instagram also my name on there is turbomk1golf

Nothing is impossible it just costs more and takes longer.

On 1st Nov, 2007 Ben H said:
There is no such thing as 'insignificant weight saving', it all adds up.

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

On 20th Apr, 2013 madmk1 said:
When I made my one, I made it so the ring went all the way in. I will be up for some bits of alloy lol. Wink Wink.

ah sweet, i was going to do mine so it was but wasnt sure.

ok excellent, i need to see what i use or even if there is enough to make one or two if mine goes well. So watch this space and i'll let you know a price im after as it cost me a pretty penny to get cut as the batch was so small.

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

well yesterday i was just having a mingle around the garage and sorting crap out as i have so many bits for the car just waiting to be put on it but for various reasons they are not fitted yet.

took some old seats out that are a bit dirty and placed some more old seats in thee old girl. think i might get them recovered. i'm also going to be running a bucket seat for me, the passenger will have the std one.

seats_old by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

while also lurking my gaze over the turbo i took the hot side housing off as i needed to grind back the stud thats a bitch...... i'll let the picture do the talking.

crack! by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

slowly getting the motivation back now the weather is nicer, makes me miss having it on the road!

Rick.SPI

1596 Posts
Member #: 8027
Post Whore

Thrapston, Kettering, Northants NN14

Looking good mate!

On 17th Feb, 2011 apbellamy said:
I popped my first one out the other day...

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

Rightttttt

Got this done finally, need to get the take off for reg but that's on order. Not the prettiest and also need to tidy areas with bolts that go through but alas....

plenum by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

also fitted my pedal box and the dsn thing. remembered how much i hate the bastards.

ms_fitted by lilpinkiy, on Flickr

L2B tomorrow for some DSN goodies :)

eden7842

1755 Posts
Member #: 8852
Post Whore

leicestershire

Looking gd mate. Get it running *smiley*

13.95 1/4 mile on a 2.95 fd. Carnt be that hard to beat!

Miniac

104 Posts
Advanced Member

Durban, South Africa

Coming along nicely.

Life is always a matter of opinion and quite frankly, no ones opinion really matters.

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

haha im trying :) however i struggling to find the motivation to rebuild my front subrame.... not sure if cause i haven't done one of these yet so worried i may mess it up or i don't have space once its built so i needs to be built and put in the car in the same day; well a combination of the two. But i got some parts for its yesterday that i needed to get to put the subby in so now i will have to wait for a dry weekend and give it a bash.

engine wise i still need a lot of bits.
- pistons
- crank
- sc box rebuilt & new dif
- cam
- clutch & flywheel

then i need to
- redo brake lines
- make engine steady for thermostat side
- get front mounted rad
- ele water pump & hoses

so you can see thats a fair old shopping list and things to do. top that with having to save to buy a new (to me) car and also doing my direct access bike licence money is just flying from left right and centre.

so it looks like the turbo motor wont be done this year but the car may see this year with a donor motor.

Edited by t@z on 3rd Jun, 2013.

Miniac

104 Posts
Advanced Member

Durban, South Africa

Something is better than nothing, as long as it's drivable and you can focus on the main engine build as time/money allows.

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

Where did you get that engine steady bracket for the block? DSN?

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

On 3rd Jun, 2013 Vegard said:
Where did you get that engine steady bracket for the block? DSN?

yeh comes as part of there kit, but i'm sure if you call up they will do it on its own as i use mine with the force steady.

very true, think i'll be happier once the subframe its in as its the thing stopping me putting the 998 in it and back onto wheels. other than that the car itself isnt in bad shape :)

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

ok well big update ish....

well in the sense that with the help of lee we got my subframe and drive train in today in the rain.

anyway now at least i can get the brake lines done and the 998 in over the next few month

thanks again lee

Edited by t@z on 18th Jun, 2013.

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

wow page 8 i was on.... that just goes to show how not very busy i have been with my car!!

although this isn't the case, uncovering and working yes... spending money no.

also this has kept me busy

i have been busy collecting parts for the rebuild and coming to terms with parting with my cash, be worth it in the end i keep telling myself.

As some of you may remember i had a wanted add for a new block around Jan time. Mostly the reason what because i was building a new engine with new parts it was outside the tolerances that we wanted to build with. Had it been my current pistons etc i would have just reused it but alas i wasn't so thankfully eden come to my rescue. The block had already been dry decked and it was the correct bore size so that saved him some time.

my donor from eden and secret sock object with chesman engineering

I don't have any pictures to hand of the block now but its been away to be chemically cleaned, re bored, top slighted decked to make sure its flat and supply and fit new cam bearings. The engine itself looks new and hardly any water penetration after the clean and next to no paint so really happy with all the work that has been done to that. Had a slight emergency in that the dummy cam i gave them was proving troublesome in the new bearings so i just decided to buy the cam the other week. Wasn't expecting to pay for that now but alas it's bought. Thanks to Benross for coming up trumps on that and sending it to them.

let me start with the story of what i have purchased.

some shiney things.... told i need these for my engine to work properly.

test fitted them to my rods, seem to look the part lets hope they hold on for the ride!

nice light exhaust acquired, the head also makes an ace rubber hammer holder.

took the time to go see MED as well while i was around the area dropping off the engine.

new springs also arrived from Tial Merica.

Thats pretty much it. Im going to be building the engine with Lee over the next few months so hopefully there will be more updates as we get it together and what we do.

T

theoneeyedlizard

7263 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Flash git. There's some serious shiny there.

I'll do Sprockets job here and remind you to polish the crank tail where the primary gear fits.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

John

10020 Posts
Member #: 1456
Mongo

Barnsley, South Flatcapshire

Sooo! Someone finally has the guts to try some of those williams rods! Be interested to hear/see the outcome.

Looking great BTW!

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half of.

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

good call theoneeyed, i'll add that to my list of things to do.

the rods i actually think more people use them just don't say, few people have contacted me about them but they look and tbh when i seen others at show look the same, but that doesnt tell me about the quality and strength etc

we will see :)

Edited by t@z on 1st Jul, 2014.

jamestar

489 Posts
Member #: 9159

Devon

What did you end up doing with this in the end? As I've made up my plenum from the bits I got from you and I have a small gap (1mm ish) between the restrictor ring and the rear of the plenum

Engine looks like itll be ready to take some abuse, looking forward to see how the rods fair

On 20th Apr, 2013 t@z said:

bit of an off the beaten track question but does the ring need to touch the back of the chamber to seal the long top bit?

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

On 1st Jul, 2014 jamestar said:

What did you end up doing with this in the end? As I've made up my plenum from the bits I got from you and I have a small gap (1mm ish) between the restrictor ring and the rear of the plenum

Engine looks like itll be ready to take some abuse, looking forward to see how the rods fair

On 20th Apr, 2013 t@z said:

in the end i lopped off some from the sides and made it touch as the std ring sits in the gap, so total was a few mm.

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

Slight update.

The engine has all been measured by lee so we could get the required compression, or least around what i wanted. As a result it had to be sent back to Chesmans for some additional work to get that fixed. Got that back last week so will be dry building with lee and painted etc hopefully get an actual built block over the coming month or so.

Had some slight trouble with the head. Nothing major just the collets and caps i had for the valves were pretty shite. wasnt happy with the standard caps from MiniSpares personally so ended up buying new valves with the single collet, mine had 3 before.

Lee helped measure my spring poundage and make some shims so they are equal. when its built i think the head will be done other than needing to get some roller rockers.

Gearbox donor is being sent this week with a S/C gearset i have from an unused engine. Swifty will be getting a call next to put in an order for a quaffle diff.

Cinq rad has been purchased and next month will also get waterpump & controller.

Matty has also sent me a downpipe so fingers crossed that should be less hassle.

Feels like its taking an age but i'm not rushing it as it'll just end up being wrong and breaking :)

As work starts to pick up i'll try do more updates.

Also been playing with this but i think everyone has *happy*

Edited by t@z on 19th Jan, 2015.

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

piss poor update incoming!

- engine and head being painted, think will need a few more coats mind!

graemec

940 Posts
Member #: 1424
Post Whore

Carnforth, Lancs

I don't think those extensions will work on the plastic masters, they won't seal properly because of the shape of the reservoir.

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

On 30th Jan, 2015 graemec said:
I don't think those extensions will work on the plastic masters, they won't seal properly because of the shape of the reservoir.

you are correct the seal was shockingly shite. i got them so long ago i fitted them just so i wouldn't lose them. once the engines in and brake lines are fitted i'll probably revisit it.

Home > Show Us Yours! > lil grey
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: