Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > lil grey

t@z

2054 Posts
Member #: 452
Post Whore

Chester, UK

after seeing e5tus attack his car i thought why the hell not. now i know this is going to be obvious to you all but fak me this crap weights a lot!! after amazon priming some stanley chisels and them turning up being tiny i was dreading it but the 16mm (largest one) was amazing, and the smaller ones for helping to get going.

only done the rear at the moment, will do the fronts one eve. need to get the crappy lil bits off as well was just going to use a wire brush or is there a better way?

Before

After

Managed to do my water feed and return. It is a bit awkward and well I'm hoping there will be enough pressure in the system to push the water round but time will see. Its really tight after trying to do it cheap it ended out being that there was only 1 way to and had to bite the bulltet. The hose is high temp, super flexible stuff i got from think automotive, costs £35+vat a metre. The unions don't get me started /cry. this is it below

Feed
this is super tight here mostly because there isn't much room on the bingo head for the exhaust downpipe.

Return

Thats all for the moment, until tomorrow if i can be bothered to work on it :)

T

Edited by t@z on 6th Mar, 2016.

www.twitter.com/lilpinkiy

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Petrol or paint thinners will have the residue off nicely

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

theoneeyedlizard

7259 Posts
Member #: 1268
The Boom Boom speaker Police!

Essex

Thats a really neat solution.

In the 13's at last!.. Just

e5tus

428 Posts
Member #: 10128

Dorset

On 5th Mar, 2016 t@z said:
need to get the crappy lil bits off as well was just going to use a wire brush or is there a better way?

Satisfying job to get done isn't it!

I'm using petrol, got a jerry can of stuff that's gone off and it's great for it.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

Its a hilarious job! The bits flying off everyhwere rikashaying off everything.. dont tell me ya didnt make 'peeoww' noises *happy*

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

i didnt really have much of the pew pewing off bits however it was insanely satisfying and was really easy but i put that down to the cold.

only thing i wish for was for a bigger car, man my back was aching from being hunched over and my knees on the floor

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

Small update. I don't really feel like much has happened mostly because off work and i can only get to think once a week so the moons have to allign perfectly for it all to fall into place.

Anyway as below...

Floor done ish, i found a hole that was giving me jip. im not the best welder and was really in an awkward place to get to so this took a few weeks till someone with more ability was able to pop around and tidying up what was the red wedding version of welding. The rear line is mocked up and going to use rivnuts to hold it in place, also as a side note i've completely replaced rear lines under the subframe as well.

A few more on the water cooling plan. The oil feed is now also run. It is super tight back there mostly because the feed bango is M12 so had to get the head of the bango halved and also disconnect everything again to get it on and sorted. Fingers crossed will work.

Another thing done was realising how tight it was for the breathers Lee helped me mill down and weld on these to the unlet for the breathers. ThinkAutomotive were top notch at helping me get the tubing made for these as orginally i was going to use standard rubber but it proved to not be flexible enough. Some weird custom ish set up on the fancy hose and AN fitting. Hopefully this is simple enough

that is all. was going to put the engine in on the weekend just gone but a lot off stuff got dumped in front off the mini during the week and there was no room. Hoping for this weekend, if its cleared. In the mean time i have the floor to paint, rivnut the brake line in and also do the wiring for the ignition.

until next time!

graemec

940 Posts
Member #: 1424
Post Whore

Carnforth, Lancs

Should there not be copper washers both sides of the banjo fitting....?

On 5th Mar, 2016 t@z said:

Feed
this is super tight here mostly because there isn't much room on the bingo head for the exhaust downpipe.

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

Yes there should! Good catch, i will check this when next at the car :) Thank you!

eden7842

1755 Posts
Member #: 8852
Post Whore

leicestershire

I don't think you'll get proper circulation around the turbo with how you've got it piped dude. Both connections are made to the same side of the pump if you get my meaning. Your return should really be in the bottom hose.

Happy to be corrected otherwise tho

13.95 1/4 mile on a 2.95 fd. Carnt be that hard to beat!

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

On 28th Jun, 2016 eden7842 said:
I don't think you'll get proper circulation around the turbo with how you've got it piped dude. Both connections are made to the same side of the pump if you get my meaning. Your return should really be in the bottom hose.

Happy to be corrected otherwise tho

you raise a valid point, tbh im not to sure myself now you mention it. i guess ur thinking that the pressure on the loop by the head take off will slow the return from the turbo or work against it?

eden7842

1755 Posts
Member #: 8852
Post Whore

leicestershire

I'm thinking more of a neutral zone together rather than pump pressure help it around.

13.95 1/4 mile on a 2.95 fd. Carnt be that hard to beat!

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

pathetic update....

after doing the engine hokey cokey yesterday finally got it in. few problems. my rev 1 matty manifold and rev x GT17 downpipe meant that the downpipe fowled on the subframe. originally tried just squishing the downpipe a lil but ended up needing to trim the subframe lip on the back as well after the 2nd trial fit.... so third time lucky. also while getting an engine in isnt hard it was a bit of a cunt messing with the thing tilting as i dropped it in with the turbo on, and a bugger to align with the holes. a lot cursing of cursing was involved!

also thanks for eagle eye for the washer. that is now fixed :)

jonny f

2091 Posts
Member #: 9894
Post Whore

Dorking

running next week?! *wink*

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Looking good.

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

What's going on here with that breather in the side of the inlet manifold? This doesn't look right to me...

On 28th Jun, 2016 t@z said:

Another thing done was realising how tight it was for the breathers Lee helped me mill down and weld on these to the unlet for the breathers. ThinkAutomotive were top notch at helping me get the tubing made for these as orginally i was going to use standard rubber but it proved to not be flexible enough. Some weird custom ish set up on the fancy hose and AN fitting. Hopefully this is simple enough

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

Looks like hes just using the water heating path to neaten the pipe work up?

with the turbo water feeds I would try to get the one from the block to route downward, and try to lose the low loop on the one from the turbo to the thermostat housing, you want to try to achieve a thermo syphon loop for when the engines shut down, if theres ay air traps it can cause issues. also as long as the water return pipes in after the thermo stat you should be ok as the thermo stat should create a restriction to make some wather flow through the turbo.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

Breathers look really neat. But are they sized large enough, in particular the 90 deg fitting off the inlet pipe, they can be really small ID.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

thanks gents. sadly work and being away will keep me from the car so no progress for 2 weeks. but i have things to think about as above :)

TuboDave & Tom the fittings are all -8 which actually works probably in my favor with my cock up with moving from the rubber 1/2 inch hose. in short the 1/2 inch bendy hose had no give to get over the beather stub and used smaller AN unions which is why it was tricky. which is when Think worked their magic as the hose is just slightly larger than 1/2 but it seals nicely on the breather stub and i can still use the larger AN fittings. this ultimately will then go to a catch tank on the drivers wing somewhere and yup to neaten it all up.

Robert i see what you mean,biggest problem is space. i could route the block takeoff out towards the clutch and have 180 AN to swing it back to the turbo... on the return side its not impossible to have it up i just need something where i can clear the cold side off the turbo under where the silicone hose will sit. i think i will end up routing the return into the bottom of the header so the pump can scavenge and pull through the turbo and like you say with a thermostat it should loop itself and i may have to prime it with some good old fashioned lip sucking. Also i will probably have the pump run for 20 secs after the car is switched off to help with some heat removal once it has stopped.

all food for thought and thanks guys for the feedback! :)

Edited by t@z on 5th Jul, 2016.

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

So after getting the engine in and sizing up the radiator.... realising how little space there was and some angle grinding. Out the engine come again.

The reason why the engine come out was mostly due to the fact that i needed to weld on a new steady bracket.

So this...

To this... (no laughing at my welding.... i am an excel warrior not really skilled in this melting stuff magic)

Then painted...

Not sure if i have put the somewhere in this thread but i got some off these made to go on the side off the water pump plate.

Will need a bit off tweaking but nothing some heat and a hammer wont fix *happy* Fingers crossed should hold!

I then painted the inside. The paint went a bit weird but its not to bad once dried, my excuse to in short say its ok. Also ran the rear brake line from the bias under the dash through the rear seat and got all the rears connected finally. Just need some help bleeding when the time comes.

Really is surprising how well the carpet makes it look more finished lol

Next job was to try and figure out the issues that i had with regard to the last comment on the pump/turbo return from the water. Went back to the drawing board and realised that if i swap the hose to the other direction it clears the turbo housing with the 90 deg and also the straight will reach to something similar to simons set up. Roll on 2 weeks and this rocked up. thanks matty for this, super happy with it.

Then on to the radiator....
This thing was a royal pain in the arse. Mostly because i really wanted to minimise the amount i actually cut away from the car to fit it so it was a lot of tedious remove a bit and offer it up, cut more and repeat.

What started off like this

ended up like this

Engine back in and i turned the coil pack around on the bracket means i have enough room to mount the oil cooler as well. I've ordered some ali sheet to make a bracket that will sit on the slam panel. If anyone is wondering the fan sits just in front off the oil filter hosing. Its a 9" (i think) Revotec puller fan, fits perfectly and all will be surprisingly tidy behind the radiator.

Last night i was looking at where to put the EWP80. Think i will have it here but i need to make sure that i have enough room once i have the engine in place properly with downpipe etc. I read that they are light enough to "float" and where possible should not be mounted but just use the hose to hold. But we will see, it seems perfect mind from the picture.

This weekend i'm going to try and figure out the wiring off the alternator and starter that i purchased from MED. Im shockingly shit at wiring so any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Below are the alternator wires i am working with...

Starter wires that need connecting to it somehow, fingers crossed i took a picture off my old one!

Anyway i think that is all, if i have missed anything it probably wasn't that important or just to painful to remember.

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

Good effort. That radiator looks a nice fit, what's it off?

Phil.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

On 2nd Sep, 2016 Turbo Phil said:
Good effort. That radiator looks a nice fit, what's it off?

Phil.

it is just your standard cinq rad. nothing fancy :)

giannoutsos

166 Posts
Member #: 8952
Advanced Member

Athens Greece

Hi great effort, but that rad is the with the round pipes, the other one with the v fins is much better at cooling.
John

t@z

2054 Posts
Post Whore

Chester, UK

On 8th Sep, 2016 giannoutsos said:
Hi great effort, but that rad is the with the round pipes, the other one with the v fins is much better at cooling.
John

which rad you on about? i've had this rad for a good 1.5 years just sitting in the garage so if there is a more efficient one im up for that

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

There are two different versions of the Fiat cinq rad depending on the year.

When I went through this (ages ago) the concensus was the other one is much better, see below,

Left is the Mk1 Metro, the others are the two Fiat versions. The far right is the preffered one, much more standard design of "flat" tubes and coarse fins rather than round tubes and tin foil. It is slightly taller though.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Home > Show Us Yours! > lil grey
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: