Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - With Boost

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

Have started *happy*

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

*Clapping*

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

SumpNut
Forum Mod

1322 Posts
Member #: 28
Post Whore

Milton Keynes

Wonderful news, keep us posted!

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

No logs today, but we are getting there.

The LM-1 Wideband decided to play up, then we lost the data stream for logging. When the LM-1 was working, it was spiking for some reason.

Also suffered a strange misfire. Hot starting also seems to be a new problem.

Now we have lost comms with Tuner Studio :(

Most the problems, inclusing the misfire and hot starting, seem to be caused by the coil sitting very close to the wideband sensors. So need to relocate the coil pack again.

Other than that, it's been fun driving a Turbo Mini for the first time. Only 8 psi boost, but still lots of fun and loving the sound of the dump valve. Tssshhhh.

We've got the AFRs close, but still some tuning to do.

Tssshhhh.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

great stuff, looking forward to the results :)

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Good to see you're getting there.

About the hot starting, make sure that the cranking speed is still less than what it's set as. Otherwise it's running off of the running tables instead of the cranking parameters.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 5th Jul, 2009 jbelanger said:
Good to see you're getting there.

About the hot starting, make sure that the cranking speed is still less than what it's set as. Otherwise it's running off of the running tables instead of the cranking parameters.

Jean

We seem to have cured that by moving the HT lead away from a connector on the shielded VR sensor cable :$

Just spent another hour trying to get the data stream working. We can't get Logworks to accept a 0-3Bara Map reading from the LMA-3.

Edited by Paul S on 5th Jul, 2009.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I have found some data from one of the earlier runs before we lost the datastream. Attached.

You have to ignore the outer AFR (LM-1) spikes, but you can see the base figures in the trend are similar to the inner AFRs.

We have richened up the mixture since.

Interestingly, it shows the spikes at the gearchange which confirms that the sample chambers are working fine.

Attachments:

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Very good - a bit difficult to read because of the extra random spikes, but

On 6th Jul, 2009 Paul S said:

Interestingly, it shows the spikes at the gearchange which confirms that the sample chambers are working fine.

..where they are clear, the inner spike seems larger than the outer one.

I was thinking about this yesterday while drilling/tapping another manifold (I wasn't entirely happy with the locations of the drillings in the first one) and it occured to me the outer sample will only be half the flow so possibly less responsive in transients.

If I see the same when I get that far, I've got the option of increasing the sample tube from 4mm bore to 5mm bore (which I would do just on the outer) and see if that helps.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Some more attached.

I seemed to have knocked about 10 secs of my 0-90mph with the turbo!

Still not quick, but not bad for two up in a full weight Mini.

Attachments:

Edited by Paul S on 6th Jul, 2009.

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

is it a 2.9 diff or the 2.75?
and how long have you had your own section?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

2.95 diff.

Actually 6k in 3rd is about 85 mph. Good job we have our own test track.

I've had my own section since someone, who has yet to own up, made it separate.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

*Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping*

Great stuff Paul and Stugero!!!

Edited by TurboDave16V on 6th Jul, 2009.

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I made the sections seperate, seeing as I thought as you were doing groundbreaking work, it would (a) give some deserved recognition and (b) make it easier for other people to try and follow what you are doing in the future.

However, from the reactions I've seen I wish I hadn't bothered to be quite honest.

Good work with the data log though, I know the main thing is that the inner and outer follow one another, but with AFR's around the 14.5 mark I'd definitely add some more fuel across the board if you can.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

We have already made some improvements after the above logs were taken. We have richened up the top end by a fair amount.

But the datastream lost the MAP sensor reading. We tried to fix that and we lost the datastream altogether.

Without the MAP reading, the logs are meaningless.

Tom, your good intentions are appreciated.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Sturgeo has been working all evening getting the logging system working. I was watching TDF on TV - fantastic stuff.

The problem with the logging appears to be a faulty LMA-3. It finally packed up altogether.

So Sturgeo had a go at extracting the data from the Megasquirt and feeding it into Logworks. Amazingly, he got it to work. He is an IT boffin anyway.

So we now have logging of the important parameters again.

Just quickly whizzed around the block to get a log, but it has gone very lean on us. Sort that out later in the week.

At least we are back on track.

Big thanks to Sturgeo.

Attachments:

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

I think its running lean because the vacuum/boost takeoff pipe for the LMA-3 wasn't sealed properly.

I'll block it off whilst you go to the airport tomorrow afternoon and see if it makes any difference.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Possibly.

The MS was picking up the boost, but the fuel presure regulator may not have been as it is the same branch of the vac/boost pipe as the LMA-3.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

great progress , why is the yellow afr so spikey ? can you utilze the smoothing on logworks to get cleaner traces
?

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The problem with the yellow trace is due to the wideband sensor cable being too close to the coil pack - I hope.

I've moved it away as far as I can, but it's still picking up interference. It's not as bad as it was.

I'm going to move the coil pack before the weekend.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

is it a sheilded cable?

if not wrap some bacofoil round it.

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The coil pack is also too close to the TB and the throttle is not returning properly. Bit too busy in that part of the engine bay. So I've got to move it anyway.

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

yup ,as joe says, some tin foil around it ,and earth the foil .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Or put it in a steel braided hose and ground the braid (only at one end, preferable the MS side).

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I'll try the foil for a short term fix.

What's interesting about the log from last night, now having studied it, is the near linear acceleration.

Previous rpm traces had been spikey, but now it is more stable, you can see a straight line, possibly taling off at 5.5k.

Presumably that means a flat torque curve?

EDIT: Also how the AFRs change as soon as the MAP drops before the gearchange, actually instantaneous. Those AFR sample chambers are working fine.

Edited by Paul S on 7th Jul, 2009.

Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - With Boost
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: