Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - With Boost

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

re. the screening.....

I don't know whether you have ordered your TechEdge stuff (that you mentioned on a previous thread) but the connecting cable they supply is very well thought out for core size (different for heaters and signal wires) and the way it is screened internally and externally (and a pig to wire up at the plugs/sockets) but......

The LSU (sensor), a genuine Bosch item, supplied has 1/2 metre of plain wires, just encased in a fibreglass lined tube, presumably for heat protection, but no shielding.

Well, none that I can see unless there is some metal woven ito the fibreglass but, eevn then, there is no shield connection at the plug/socket and the shield on the main cable is connected at the TechEdge end only.

You couldn't screen this 1/2 metre the way Jean suggests anyway as the plug is far too large to feed anything over and is not removable as it is made up with the calibration resistor to match.

I think tin foil is the only solution for that 1/2 metre.

I assume the Innovate stuff uses the same type of LSU, so the same issue.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

This is the problem, everything fighting for the same space.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

no ,that means rising torque ,as your losses increase but you maintain the same rate .

On 7th Jul, 2009 Paul S said:
I'll try the foil for a short term fix.

What's interesting about the log from last night, now having studied it, is the near linear acceleration.

Previous rpm traces had been spikey, but now it is more stable, you can see a straight line, possibly taling off at 5.5k.

Presumably that means a flat torque curve?

EDIT: Also how the AFRs change as soon as the MAP drops before the gearchange, actually instantaneous. Those AFR sample chambers are working fine.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

do you have the supressor fitted to the coil mounting bracket? the little grey box (usually) with one wire coming out it from a bosch 2-pin plug? i didnt have one when i ran that coil striaght from megasquirt and siffered interference issues, fitting the suppressor as-pwer the ford install sorted it :)

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Ahhhhh....

Although I've not done it myself, I remember I'd seen this somewhere before....

(from the MS2 Extra manual)

I've not done it either (yet) - my coilpack is nowhere near the LSUs while I'm testing on the garage floor - but you've reminded me to re-do my wiring to put this in

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Dogs Danglies:

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Sweet

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

evolotion

2909 Posts
Member #: 83
Post Whore

Glasgow, Scotland

that is awesome!!!

turbo 16v k-series 11.9@118.9 :)

Denis O'Brien.

TurboDave16V
Forum Mod

10979 Posts
Member #: 17
***16***

SouthPark, Colorado

Looks good! Closer than ever before! Thinks you've cracked it...

So how much boost is this with?

On 17th Nov, 2014 Tom Fenton said:
Sorry to say My Herpes are no better

Ready to feel Ancient ??? This is 26 years old as of 2022 https://youtu.be/YQQokcoOzeY

sturgeo

857 Posts
Member #: 1778
Post Whore

Northants

8 psi at the moment, hopefully after a few more miles we'll go up to 12 :)

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

most encouraging .

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I'm dead chuffed with it.

The Bacofoil did the trick with the wideband, although I did move the coil, but it is still close.

The other thing is that I made one change since the run on Sunday and that was to increase the fueling under boost by 20%. I thought I had done that at the weekend, but I changed the wrong table :$

We still need to do some work on the cruise settings, add a breather to the engine and sort out the sticking throttle but great progress so far.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 8th Jul, 2009 sturgeo said:
8 psi at the moment, hopefully after a few more miles we'll go up to 12 :)

Maybe for MITP, but lets just get it working better at 8psi first.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

On 8th Jul, 2009 Paul S said:

The Bacofoil did the trick with the wideband.

thank fuck,

thats the first thing i cna think of thats gone right this week, I seem to be leaving a wake of armagedon...

anyway, that log is the nuts, well done guys! I'm wondering what the afrs will do with the boost upped a bit, will they diverge?

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

What also should be noted is that the above trace is mostly up hill.

Land levels rise by about 20m over about a quarter of a mile.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 8th Jul, 2009 mini13 said:
I'm wondering what the afrs will do with the boost upped a bit, will they diverge?

The injection timing is largely VE dependant, so once on boost it does not change much. Hence as long as the pulses stay within the available injection "window" then they should stay reasonably close.

Although we have got very technical about this setup, it is very simple if you use the hybrid mode with a single VE table and a single injection timing table.

The only additions from "normal" injection is the timing table and the need for a cam sensor and the dual widebands.

I hope a few more of you guys are going to take up the idea.

Bat

4559 Posts
Member #: 786
Post Whore

Bermingum

Hi,
Good to see such a good result after all the work you've put in :)
Cheers,
Gavin :)

VEMs Authorised Installer / Re-seller. K head kits now available!

WB/EGT gauges. Click here for customers write-up

Visit www.doyouneedabrain.co.uk

My Mini build diary

Jimster
Site Admin

9401 Posts
Member #: 58
455bhp per ton
12 sec 1/4 mile road legal mini

Sunny Bridgend, South Wales

Well done Paul, this is awesome stuff

Team www.sheepspeed.com Racing

On 15th May, 2009 TurboDave said:

I think the welsh one has it right!

1st to provide running proof
of turbo twinkie in a car and first to
run a 1/4 in one!!

Is your data backed up?? directbackup.net one extra month free for all Turbo minis members, PM me for detials

Turbo Phil

4619 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

On 9th Jul, 2009 Jimster said:
Well done Paul, this is awesome stuff

Indeed, great stuff !

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Just need to cure the lean tip-in off idle before Sunday *happy*

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

What people usually do for this is to richen up the low rpm high load VE cells. Then you may also have to play with the AE values and/or run slightly richer at idle.

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

Jay#2

2500 Posts
Member #: 648
Post Whore

Northern Ireland (ex AUS)

Fantastic, don't forget to get some vids up!*smiley*

On 7th Nov, 2008 Nic said:
naeJ
m
!!!!!!sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve ?droabyekym ot deneppah sah tahw ayhwdd

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 9th Jul, 2009 jbelanger said:
What people usually do for this is to richen up the low rpm high load VE cells. Then you may also have to play with the AE values and/or run slightly richer at idle.

Jean

Thanks Jean, the lean tip-in has virtually disappeared by just increasing the low rpm, high load cells by 5 points. I also adjusted the injection timing in the same area as the inners were going lean whilst the outers were OK.

This is the first time since Avon that we have had a chance to do the fine tuning having been away on Hols.

I've now corrected the ignition timing that was out by 5 degrees. I knew this was the case from long ago, but was happy to leave it safe. Now we are looking to optimise everything, I ajusted the crank angle setting for the sensor so that the timing light shows the same as Tuner Studio.

I'm just waiting for the turbo to cool down so that I can make, hopefully, the final adjsutment of the actuator to get 12 psi boost.

We are already running 10.3 mSec pulse widths at 8 psi. This equates to over 360 degrees at 6000rpm. Interesting to see if we can get enough fuel into the outer cylinders.

Let's hope the verto can cope.

I'll post logs later.

Edited by Paul S on 8th Aug, 2009.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

Captain Slog at 12-13 psig boost:

I think that I've found the limit of the injectors as reducing the advance does not bring the outer cylinders richer.

Pulse widths were 11-12 mSec, so not surprising.

Note the wheelspin in first :$

That concludes my testing of the Siamese Code.

IT WORKS

*Clapping* *Clapping* *Clapping*

Edited by Paul S on 8th Aug, 2009.

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Well done :)

However it appears to be going a bit lean at the end is this the limit of the injectors?

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - With Boost
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: