Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - With Boost

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 8th Aug, 2009 Rob H said:
However it appears to be going a bit lean at the end is this the limit of the injectors?

I think you are looking at the overun cut-out where it leans out to 22 odd.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

That explains it, I wasn't sure what was vacuum & what was boost.

Edited by Rob H on 8th Aug, 2009.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Very good, I think we knew it would all come together in the end.... Thanks to Jean...

Only points of interest to me...

You seem to have a hard top limit on your widebands of about 22. TechEdge has a similar limit (can't remember the exact value) but the way your plot shows it is very precise, ie confidence in the readings.

However, there does seem to be a bit of noise on the outer reading (ocassional spikes both up and down)

Not quite sure what you mean about "limit of the injectors" at 12mS....

Assuming you are running the new single pulse mode, at 6K RPM, 12mS would equate to over 50% duty (over both cylinders), ie, beyond valve open/close times, so I wouldn't expect to be able to change the relative AFRs at that point...

Or I may have got the maths wrong (it's happened before....)

As a matter of interest, how many cc do you inted to put on the Miglia ???

I'm looking at staged 1680 or 2000 per port and from my maths that should still keep me away from a duty cycle that excedes valve timing.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

The LM-1 on the outer cylinders is very spikey. I'm tempted to get another LC-1 and compare the results.

Yes, at 960 cc/min per port, I'm running at over 50% duty cycle and don't seem to be able to get any more fuel in the outers.

However, I've got an idea I might try to improve it and will report back.

I'm tempted to go to the RWYB at the Pod tomorrow and do a bit more testing. It's starting to get a bit dangerous now that we are spinning tyres and starting to feel a bit of torque steer.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

excelent.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Turbo Shed

1303 Posts
Member #: 30
Post Whore

Epsom, Surrey

On 8th Aug, 2009 Paul S said:
It's starting to get a bit dangerous now that we are spinning tyres and starting to feel a bit of torque steer.

sounds like its coming along well, just need to get it to the "holly ****, cant take my eyes off the road and loads of torque steer" and i will be really tempted

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 9th Aug, 2009 Turbo Shed said:

On 8th Aug, 2009 Paul S said:
It's starting to get a bit dangerous now that we are spinning tyres and starting to feel a bit of torque steer.

sounds like its coming along well, just need to get it to the "holly ****, cant take my eyes off the road and loads of torque steer" and i will be really tempted

It's only a 998 and probably around 115hp.

Give me a couple of months (optimistic) and we will be going for 200hp plus on the Miglia.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 8th Aug, 2009 Rod S said:

As a matter of interest, how many cc do you inted to put on the Miglia ???

Had to think about this.

I'm tempted to build the manifol to take 3 * 800cc/min injectors on each port. Two on top and another underneath.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Presumably with 1 only for the first stage and the other 2 for the second stage ???

Have you done the mod on your second daughterboard for the staged injection yet - I've just got my second one and it looks like I'll need an even stronger pair of reading glasses than I already use for PCB work to do it safely, Mr Magoo type.....

Rob H

4314 Posts
Member #: 700
Formerly British Open Classic

The West Country

Could you not use 2 injectors a small one for the first stage & bigger one for the second stage or have I missed the plot?

Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:
Nothing is impossible if you are an Engineer

robert

6743 Posts
Member #: 828
Post Whore

uranus

i think overall demand is requiring bigger inj than are common for 2 rob ,.

Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

It's a matter of individual size and total capacity for staged injection.

Hence why I'm interested in Paul's choice.

Ideally, yes, a small one for the first stage and a bigger one for the second stage.

The trouble is there are a limited number of "large" ones available because the average engine needs nowhere near the capacity we need.

A "one port per cylinder" engine will run at 80% or more duty cycle, we are limited to a lot less to work the siamese code.

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 9th Aug, 2009 Rod S said:
Presumably with 1 only for the first stage and the other 2 for the second stage ???

That would be the plan. I would use the Siemens 800cc/min high z injectors. For some reason I bought 4 * 600cc/min that are now surplus to requirements.

I will try and lay out the design in CAD, but with the turbo at the side, I have room underneath the inlet manifold.

Have you done the mod on your second daughterboard for the staged injection yet - I've just got my second one and it looks like I'll need an even stronger pair of reading glasses than I already use for PCB work to do it safely, Mr Magoo type.....

I haven't done the mod yet. Although I have recently aquired some new, stronger reading glasses myself, I let Sturgeo do all that kind of stuff.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Member #: 565
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

reading glasses??

loosing my closup vision is not somthing i'm looking forward too as i get older,

at the moment i'm the guuy peple come to if they wan somthing like this changed....

On 28th Aug, 2011 Kean said:
At the risk of being sigged...

Joe, do you have a photo of your tool?

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...9064&lastpost=1

https://joe1977.imgbb.com/

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

You have got me thinking (again).....

The inlet manifold I'm currently building does have potential issues with the injectors pointing in different directions so potentially favouring inner/outer cylinders.

If I do it again but with three bosses per runner, the centre boss could be stage 1 and have no preference (like my current manifold) and the outers could be stage 2 and cancel out any preferences.

It will physically fit (I've just measured) but then I have a new issue with low z... The TIP 122s on the P&H drive are only rated at 5A, injector peak current is 4A so I may need 6 P&H drives..... need to do some maths on the average current and power dissipation (or PM Jean !!!! ...)

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 9th Aug, 2009 mini13 said:
reading glasses??

loosing my closup vision is not somthing i'm looking forward too as i get older,

at the moment i'm the guuy peple come to if they wan somthing like this changed....

So we can send you all the MS2 daughterboards for modification?

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

On 9th Aug, 2009 Rob H said:
Could you not use 2 injectors a small one for the first stage & bigger one for the second stage or have I missed the plot?

As Robert said, the problem is the availability of large injectors, although the situation is rapidly improving.

If I'm limited to, say, 115hp at 6000rpm from 960cc/min per port, then for 250hp at 7000rpm, I need around 2500 cc/min per port.

But I still need to be able to get it to idle with one injector per port. I'm currently getting a good idle from the 960cc per port, but I think that is at it's limit.

So, if I'm limited to two injectors, I need a combination of 1000cc and 1500cc. But 1500cc injectors are like hens teeth.

Hence the choice of three 800cc injectors. Just need to design a manifold to make them fit.

EDIT: Just a couple of assumptions that have led me to this decision: 115hp from the 998 and have I actually hit the limit at 11-12mS pulse width.

Edited by Paul S on 9th Aug, 2009.

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

can do Paul,

is there a link or some info on what mods are needed?

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Joe,

Picture is about halfway down here
http://jbperf.com/sequential/index.html

I've done worse but my eyes used to be a LOT better....

Joe C

12307 Posts
Carlos Fandango

Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex

no problem,

if anyone wants this done i'll do it for nowt.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Member #: 831
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

Paul,

If you want to stay with high impedance injectors then your choice is quite limited. But if you're willing to go to low impedance injectors, you can get up to 5000cc/min injectors (at a price).

Jean

http://www.jbperf.com/

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

It will physically fit (I've just measured) but then I have a new issue with low z... The TIP 122s on the P&H drive are only rated at 5A, injector peak current is 4A so I may need 6 P&H drives..... need to do some maths on the average current and power dissipation (or PM Jean !!!! ...)

While you could change some components to drive 8A from one driver, I would not do it. The best would be to have 2 more drivers. With 2 injectors in parallel on the same driver, unless they are identical electrically and mechanically, one will be favored and open faster and the flyback will likely cause some interaction at closing time. Having said that, the standard MS drivers do work with low-Z injectors in parallel but given a choice I'd rather not do it.

If you do want to do this, you'll need to change the sense resistor from 0.1 Ohm to 0.05 Ohm to have a 8A/2A peak/hold current and you will want to change the TIP122 to something more robust. You'd have to find a Darlington that can handle the 8A.

Jean

Paul S

8604 Posts
Formerly Axel

Podland

I've just done a quick calc to check the fuel flow and hp relate.

Based on a BSFC of 0.5 lb/hp/hr (5.25 cc/hp/min)
Density of the fuel of 720 kg/m3
12mS gives 60% duty cycle at 6000rpm
60% of 960cc/min is 576 cc/min

Power would be 110 hp at 6000rpm.

Looks about right.

I might just increase the fueling by adjusting the VE to check, but I should find that all the extra fuel goes to the inner cylinders.

Edited by Paul S on 9th Aug, 2009.

jbelanger

1267 Posts
Post Whore

Montreal, Canada

If you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, you could increase the pressure to make some more tests.

I'm quite surprised that you can get up to 60% duty cycle. That shows that the single pulse is definitely the way to go to optimise the available injection window. Nice work.

Jean

Rod S

5988 Posts
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

On 9th Aug, 2009 jbelanger said:

While you could change some components to drive 8A from one driver, I would not do it. The best would be to have 2 more drivers. With 2 injectors in parallel on the same driver, unless they are identical electrically and mechanically, one will be favored and open faster and the flyback will likely cause some interaction at closing time. Having said that, the standard MS drivers do work with low-Z injectors in parallel but given a choice I'd rather not do it.

Jean,

Luckily I'm at the point in my second build to be able to do this, six seperate drivers. However, with six drivers (two plus four) is the CPU capable of driving two LM1949 chips from a single ouput, ie, would pin 1 need a limiting resistor in the same way the CPU needs higher value limiting resistors if driving more than one Ignitor chip (ie, 330 ohms for one but 680 ohms for two) ???

Datasheet shows high impedance input, typically 3 microA, so I guess it's not a problem.

Rod.

Home > Paul S trials and testing > Siamese Code Trial - With Boost
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: