Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Show Us Yours! > 16v Project Progress - Now Back in Business

miniminor63

1849 Posts
Member #: 672
The oversills police

Oslo, Norway

it looks like it does not go around the axle for the radius arm? Is it just a slot for the axle? I would not trust that.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Member #: 1321
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Ahh ok, It is a hole. Thats why the outer end is detatchable, to enable me to remove the radus arm.

You had me worried for a minute!

On 7th Oct, 2010 5haneJ said:
yeah I gave it all a good prodding

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Right, a bit more has been done. Engine in, fired up, cam and rings bedded in a bit.

Other then that I have finally nailed the internal gear linkage, what a bastard of a job that was. First attempt with the quickshift didn't have enough movment to engage gears, second attempt had to much angle on the selector rod. And finally my 3rd attempt works best and I prefer to the other two anyway.

The dash is taking shape, I just need to order the switches and drill those holes, then it will be ready for flocking.

The car is now light enough at the rear to pick up which is what I was aiming for despite the rollcage. the doors have also had an appointment with the grinder, but are not finished yet. There is more to come out. The internal skin weights about 1.2 kg, so there is a tidy weight saving if removing the door innerds as well.

I've also started the tedious task of rewiring lots of the car, as well as fitting all the megajolt gubbins, now the engine has been test run and is ok (not that I doubted it wouldn't be) but you never know!

On another note if anyone fancies coilovers, the ride height for the protec rear lowered ones (13 inch) is good if the car still needs to be driven on the road.

Edited by minimole23 on 20th Aug, 2010.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Final update for a while now. Its pretty much there, apart from spraying a couple of bits like the grill and gear linkage again. oh, and the whole car when I'm not going to change anything else as its got a bit tatty from all the work that has taken place, I'll add a carbon roof at some point too.

So, gear linkage MK3.5 is finally complete and successful, dash is all in and wired up, just need to do a couple of the toggle switches. I changed the grill back to standard, to make the car a bit more subtle, and added the customary 850 badge.

I have changed to an mpi rad to do away with the side fan, and whatever insignificant power loss results from it, also to make use of the little denso alternators littleness! Its bloody tight up there, but I think I have the engine strapped in tight enough to stop the alternator hitting the rad.

Will be taking it to santa pod this weekend to see how the seemeingly relentless summer of work on the car to make it faster fares.

I want to stop work on it now and use it properly, so will be doing numerous track days next year, and will hopefully enter the Downton Engineering Social Club speed series for a few hillchimbs too.

Edited by minimole23 on 22nd May, 2011.

Oli

1733 Posts
Member #: 1910
Post Whore

Wilts

looks great mate,

a car built to be used!

On 15th Jul, 2009 fastcarl said:
the pissed up clown stood back up, did a twirl and left bollock naked,

yellowmini

48 Posts
Member #: 9040

Worcester

abosultely stunning mate, awesome work! and loving the lengths youve gone to with weight saving! given me a good target with mine *tongue*

miniallsort

230 Posts
Member #: 1131

very nice mate great progress

george91

1083 Posts
Member #: 8932
Post Whore

looks really good, i really like the style of it. what power did you get in the end?

Edited by george91 on 25th Oct, 2010.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Thanks for the comments, I still have some tidying up to do but its never going to be a concourse car! It made 100 bananas at the wheels, but there should be a few more to come when I make a better exhaust centre section.

I went up to the pod yesterday and managed a 15.5 second pass, but couldn't launch it hard due to jumping out of first, so just gave it loads of wheel spin then threw it into second. I need to make some solid engine steadies to stop the engine moving about. My mate with the same engine and similar weight managed 14.7 with knackered tyres so there is definately a mid to high 14 in my car once I sort it.

SidewaysGTM

204 Posts
Member #: 5022

Oxford, Kings Lynn, Pod, Pub.

Good to meet you at Pod yesterday chap, Boy was it cold and the ques were stupidly long! Thanks for the use of the back of the truck as a store[yours friends I think?] we had to shoot off and did not see you before I left to say thanks.

Neil

Got A GTM With A Honda In the Back, and huge Nitrous bottle where the passenger seat should be when racing!

On 19th Oct, 2009 Nic said:
Ill donate to the cause if you can make it do wheelies!!

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

looking nice bud, what cr is the 1380?

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

CR is 11.5:1

rosco454

611 Posts
Member #: 5222
Post Whore

Northumberland

Very smart,colour really suits it.

Cheers Ross.

On 20th Jan, 2011 apbellamy said:

I have a bit of a fetish for tools

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

very well done. Out of interest, what clearance do you have between the altenator and the back of the grille (on the assumption the rad would still be side mounted)? I'm wondering what space would be left for a front mounted intercooler

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

You could probably get a comfortable 2.5 inch thick intercooler in there. the rad is about an inch, the fan is 2.25 inches and I had to trim the back of the grill to make it fit, it really is tight!

There is naff all clearence, about 6mm between alternator and rad.

Rob Gavin

6729 Posts
Member #: 618
Post Whore

Glasgow

cheers buddy

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

Well Its actually finished for the moment (it'll never really be finished). Over the winter I pulled it apart for the final time to carry out a number of jobs that had needed attention, none of which could be easily achieved. So, rear arches tubbed, steering column mounted off dash rail, rollcage bars removed, some additional bracing to the shell added, the wiring has been sorted out and a load more scrap cut out.

I have also finally nailed the look, I bought some huddersfield group 4 arches but they could not be made to fit and not look crap as they were manufactured so poorly. In the end I took the safe option and fitted a set of sportspacks (which naturally have been lightened) as they are in keeping with my intentions to keep the car looking as standard as possible.

The only plan from now is really to stick some alloy radius arms and then decide what to do with engines really, which won't happen soon due to the sums involved in building a twink turbo.

I must say it really does make all the trouble worth while when you fire the car up and the only words that emit from a bystanders mouth is "Fuuuuckin hell, whats that got in it?"

Some scrap

Low

Edited by minimole23 on 22nd May, 2011.

MarkGTT

3249 Posts
Member #: 1194
Post Whore

Shropshire.

looking good - no speed bumps round your way? lol

Fortecphil

497 Posts
Member #: 7641

Jersey, CI

Looks great - pretty low!
Out of interest i sold one of those 4" pipes that goes from the front panel to the inner wing adaptor on ebay last week, went for a tenner! so maybe not all scrap, lol

george91

1083 Posts
Member #: 8932
Post Whore

I really like this, looks great.

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

3 years since I posted in this thread. Not much has happened to the car, bar various pieces of gearbox destruction and a spot of Hillclimbing in the DEWS class.

After much deliberation between a normally aspirated k-head engine I have decided to progress the the short stroke turbo route, on the grounds that I cannot afford to spend the money required to make a normally aspirated engine that produces sufficient torque.

I plan to keep it simple with k1100 head, gt2056 turbo and SA 1100 crank for a bomb proof and high revving engine.

Also planning on not cutting the bulkhead so after a bit of head scratching and careful turbo mounting it will fit.

Should go quite well.

PhilR

696 Posts
Member #: 10034
Post Whore

Birmingham

First time I've seen this one. Very tidy.

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

Why not put the turbo above the bulkhead cross member?

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

minimole23

4300 Posts
Post Whore

Wiltshire

To keep things a bit neater, and also get the weight as low down as possible.

D4VE

2974 Posts
Member #: 10749
Post Whore

lowestoft suffolk

I like this.. i think cos in one of the first old pics it looks the spitting image of my first mini on the road when i was 17 (miss that mini *frown* ) lmpressive 1/4mile time too.. it must be light! also did in one of the pics did u have mk1/2 slidey windows?

On 24th Oct, 2015 jonny f said:
Nothing gets past Dave lol

NOTHING GETS PAST ME!! *tongue*

1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96mph 12psi boost
Showdown class A 2nd place 18.6 @ 69mph

Home > Show Us Yours! > 16v Project Progress - Now Back in Business
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests) <- Prev   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: