Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > FAQ / Knowledge > Variation in port size on the 12g940 castings. Montego, Maestro, MG Metro

Mr Joshua

2488 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

Not so long ago I posted in a thread that the 1.3 Montego head was a slightly different casting to your normal 12g940

This is a snip from an article I just came across while looking for info on TAM 1059 &1061 valves

As a basis use a 1275 late metro casting '84 on to '89, all of these have the big 35.7mm inlet valve. These heads are also found on 1.3 maestros and 1.3 montegos. These larger valved heads already have a slightly bigger inlet port and throat to suit the bigger valve, so are different to the later unleaded and earlier small (33.3mm) inlet valve heads.

Now I have three heads at home 2 of which have had larger valves fitted the third is an MG head. All the valves are the numbers above. If I read that correct the MG Metro 1.3 Maestro and 1.3 Montego heads were cast with larger inlet ports but still numbered 12g940.

Own the day

Paul S

8604 Posts
Member #: 573
Formerly Axel

Podland

The MG Metro head has a machined valve throat to suit the larger valve.

I believe that is the only difference.

Saul Bellow - "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
Stephen Hawking - "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Turbo Phil

4621 Posts
Member #: 20
My sister is so fit I won't show anyone her picture

Lake District

The inlet valve was also reduced to 33.3mm on the later unleaded castings.

WWW.TURBO-MINI.COM

Vegard

7763 Posts
Member #: 74
I pick holes in everything..

Chief ancient post excavator

Norway

On 14th Jul, 2009 Paul S said:
The MG Metro head has a machined valve throat to suit the larger valve.

I believe that is the only difference.

This is correct!

On 13th Jul, 2012 Ben H said:
Mine gets in the way a bit, but only when it is up. If it is down it does not cause a problem.

Home > FAQ / Knowledge > Variation in port size on the 12g940 castings. Montego, Maestro, MG Metro
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)  
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: