Donations towards server fund so far this month.

£0.00 / £100.00 per month
Page:
Home > Companies to Avoid > F'n Hammerite

PaulH

1346 Posts
Member #: 2340
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

Bought a Tin of this agents my better judgment from my local auto factor. I wanted a brush on type hard paint for the inside floor of the racer. The guy (in his forties taught heed know what he was on about !how wrong was I) told me this was the only stuff for the job and Id never look back.

spent the last 2 hours trying to paint the blasted stuff on. went back to it 20 mins later to see it had all gone see trough so instead of a nice black floor I now have a mix between mid grey and see trough hammerite black.

THIS STUF IS POXIE.

so its 20 past 12 I have now missed last orders and I have made no progress on the car apart from covering my floor in poxie crap.
rant over I'm going to bed.
:(

ho and my pocket is 20 quid lighter for the brush tin of Poxieright and thinners.

Edited by PaulH on 29th Jul, 2009.

On 17th Feb, 2009 Rob H said:

I find the easiest way is to super glue the bolt to the end of one of my fingers.

Ben H

3329 Posts
Member #: 184

Melton Mowbray, Pie Country

Your black paint has gone see through? Are you sure it is just not a gloss finish and you are looking at reflection?

I have never had this while using hammerite, although I admit it has it good and bad points, but if used correctly it is fine.

http://www.twin-turbo.co.uk
http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/default.asp

A man without a project is like a like a woman without a shopping list.

Tom Fenton
Site Admin

15300 Posts
Member #: 337
Fearless Tom Fenton, Avon Park 2007 & 2008 class D winner

&

TM legend.

Rotherham South Yorkshire

I'm not a big fan of hammerite I have to say.

On 29th Nov, 2016 madmk1 said:

On 28th Nov, 2016 Rob Gavin said:
I refuse to pay for anything else

Like fuel 😂😂

Mini_Andy

2102 Posts
Member #: 432
Post Whore

Swindon

i've used it on subframes, floors etc etc and never had a problem with it. did you use it straight out of the tin of mix it with something?

apbellamy

16540 Posts
Member #: 4241
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

Rotherham, South Yorkshire

I painted my back subframe with hamerite with no prob's.

On 11th Feb, 2015 robert said:
i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

tadge44

3004 Posts
Member #: 2500
Post Whore

Buckinghamshire

Its usually quick and easy to use because it goes over everything and is recognised as a bodge job because of this. It also chips very easily.

PaulH

1346 Posts
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

Ill get pic later today. I wont lie to you guys I’m no painter just need something to do the job and this didn’t I followed to Instructions on tin and tbh the results are appalling the coverage was crap half a brush stroke and I had to re load the brush. It stunk and is still not dry nearly 12 hours later :(

I find the easiest way is to super glue the bolt to the end of one of my fingers.

Rod S

5988 Posts
Member #: 2024
Formally Retired

Rural Suffolk

Do you have any of the original sound deadening bitumen stuff left on the floor ??? I would assume not if it's a racer but if there is any still there, or even any residue left, the solvent in the hammerite will react with it.

Schrödinger's cat - so which one am I ???

PaulH

1346 Posts
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

nope Rod I chiped all that off and sanded to floor back to metal then coated it in Hammerite "special" under coat and then a top coat of smooth hammerite black.

Ben H

3329 Posts
Member #: 184

Melton Mowbray, Pie Country

That is interesting I have never seen hammerite undercote. The secret with hammerite is to put it on thick and directly onto metal.

http://www.twin-turbo.co.uk
http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/default.asp

A man without a project is like a like a woman without a shopping list.

PaulH

1346 Posts
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

this is it Ben the guy I baught the paint off said I need this or the paint would not take :(
http://www.hammerite.com/ie/products/ps_sp...als_primer.html

apbellamy

16540 Posts
King Gaycharger, butt plug dealer, Sheldon Cooper and a BAC but generally a niceish fella if you dont mind a northerner

"Promotes adhesion for metal finish paints on non-rusting metal surfaces such as aluminium, galvanized and stainless steel, chrome, brass and copper. "

Don't see steel on that list. It might be that the under coat is not designed for steel and has reacted.

i tried putting soap on it , and heating it to brown , then slathered my new lube on it

*hehe!*

PaulH

1346 Posts
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

That would not be a very good show if the paint reacts with its own primer !

apbellamy

16540 Posts

I meant the primer not setting as it should as it's not on the metal it was inteded to be used on, then reacting with the paint

*hehe!*

PaulH

1346 Posts
Post Whore

Dublin Ireland

TBH AP I have no idea what I do know is I painted the engine with dulux metal primer then one coat of dulux smooth black, It looks prfect I used half the paint and it was dry in 6 hours:)

Jason G

4360 Posts
Member #: 1459
En-suite user

Braintree, Essex

I've always just rubbed the metal down for it to key too, never any under coat or primer.

On 19th Jan, 2010 wil_h said:
I would start the furthest place from the finish.

On 24th Mar, 2012 apbellamy said:
I feel all special knowing that I've given your mum my wood.

Been neglecting Turbo'd 'A' series..............

AlexB
Site Admin

6263 Posts
Member #: 1
The boring bloke who runs this place.

Berkshire

I painted the whole inside of my mini with hammerite - worked really well imho.

madcatminis

549 Posts
Member #: 5327
Post Whore

Dudley, West mids

I've had this problem before. I think that the tin I brought was either really old or not mixed correctly at manufacture. Use a chop stick and give it a really good stirring. I found that good paint had settled to the bottom of the tin.

metroturbo

806 Posts
Member #: 989
Post Whore

North Yorkshire

Hammerite normally needs a really good stir before use, as it is normally like treacle at the bottom of the tin and like water near the top.

joeybaby83

6274 Posts
Member #: 509
Post Whore

Isle of Man

yeah, a ood shake/stir lways helps, but tbh i cant stand hammerite ither

I used that spray on 'smoothrite' stuff on a set of alloys years ago, turned out horrible...

"Turbo's make torque, and torque makes fun"

"did you know you can toast potato waffles?"

Simon

736 Posts
Member #: 1865
Post Whore

Norwich, Norfolk

i use hammerite on load of stuff, its brilliant, i have had exactly the problem you talk about but only on nice new shiny metal which is where the undercoat comes into play.

i'm sure if you give it a good stir and a 2nd or 3rd coat it will look mint. its not sold as a one coat paint afterall.

http://turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=170151

Mr Joshua

2484 Posts
Member #: 1954
Post Whore

Luton Bedfordshire

Hammerite sticks best to poor surfaces on a good surface it can be a bit of a pain.

I paint my blocks with it never had an issue (red of course).

Own the day

Coupe

998 Posts
Member #: 2178
Post Whore

Leyland, Lancs

On 30th Jul, 2009 Mr Joshua said:
I paint my bollocks with it never had an issue (red of course).

Careful with that........

On 15th Jul, 2009 fastcarl said:
a breif struggle ensued but Will emerged the victor with a pair of undies in his possesion

On 21st Sep, 2009 apbellamy said:
No, but you did chuck your guts up over my front gate the Saturday before! You even managed to get a bit in your arm pit...

stevieturbo

3569 Posts
Member #: 655
Post Whore

Northern Ireland

On 29th Jul, 2009 tadge44 said:
Its usually quick and easy to use because it goes over everything and is recognised as a bodge job because of this. It also chips very easily.

Found that myself.

Looks fine when freshly done...but never seems to stay on very long.

I painted my rear axle with it.,..after it was shotblasted so totally clean bare metal.

And it still chipped off easily.

9.85 @ 145mph
202mph standing mile
speed didn't kill me, but taxation probably will

manifold

203 Posts
Member #: 1734

Lancaster

A mate of mine many moons ago building a marlin kit car taught me a trick with hammerite.

He said mix the hammerite, let it go off then then paint black gloss over it. The stuff like you use on steel work. The flexibility aspect of the gloss paint means it is less susceptible to chipping. Paint chips because its usually too thick or because of heat/expansion (rust?). Seemed to work for him several years on.

Also some mates of mine at TVR nearby confirmed that too when they powder coated my old subframes in their powder coating bay, saying that when they powder coated the chassis, they were better if they only put on lighter coats, because of chipping problems on heavier coats.

Cheers,

D

Home > Companies to Avoid > F'n Hammerite
Users viewing this thread: none. (+ 1 Guests)   Next ->
To post messages you must be logged in!
Username: Password:
Page: